Show your WWI Studio Photographs

Jeffrey Magut

Salvage Sailor

Nothing special, 4th Cavalry Private, Schofield Barracks, T.H. when the Hawaiian Division was being formed and the post under construction

Photos 1913 and 1918

001.jpg

002.jpg

Nothing can top Ed's images of Cukela but thought I would throw out a couple more Marine photos to keep the thread rolling...

First Leonard Hoffmann, 6th Machine Gun Bn (interesting that he is wearing a 73rd Co. patch)

:o Speechless.

Here's a crazy shot showing three wounded doughboys in a Paris studio on Christmas day 1918. The marine at left is Lt. Jacob H. Heckman - he was awarded the DSC, Navy Cross and two silver stars and was put in for the Medal of Honor.

woundedmarine200small.jpg?w=676

Eric!!! Great images, like them all but the Marine bugler looks like the one from Hayes Otaupalik's WW1 collector book (been a while since I have seen it and cannot find in my chaotic organization). If he is I admired that and yours now and told myself i have to find an image like that. Well have not found one like that but did manage to obtain my own Marine bugler (13th Regiment 5th Brigade). Once again astonishing images. Dave

post-154437-0-11400200-1450915889.jpg

Salvage Sailor

By the end of 1918, the majority of the regular US army infantry regiments had been sent to the A.E.F. The 2nd Infantry Regiment, after serving in heavy combat in every US conflict including several recent tours in the Philippines, was posted to Fort Shafter, Hawaiian Territory in 1913. At that time they were the only infantry regiment in the Hawaiian Territory in the pre-Hawaiian Department/Division army. By 1915 they were guarding the interned belligerent ships and crews of the European powers in Honolulu harbor. These 2nd Infantry photos were taken in 1915 and developed by the post studio at Fort Shafter.

2nd Infantry Dress Blues 1915 Company F

002cc wm.jpg

2nd Infantry Dress Blues Company K 1915

Fort Shafter, Territory of Hawaii

005 a wm.jpg

Collar Details

002d.jpg

005b.jpg

Dress Blues 2nd Infantry Fort Shafter, T.H. 1915

008 a wm.jpg

2nd Infantry Regiment 1915

011 a wm.jpg

Found these today...nothing fancy-schmansy, but good clean pics

338th RCT, I have the same photo in my collection and can state that it depicts a member of Company E of the 5th Infantry Regiment during occupation. I instantly recognized the pose and have a duplicate photo in hand.

Byrne V. Baucom, 1st Aero Squadron, posing with his DSC (ca. Germany 1919).

His citation reads:

"The Distinguished Service Cross is presented to Byrne V. Baucom, Captain (Air Service), U.S. Army, for extraordinary heroism in action near Sedan, France, November 5, 1918. With atmospheric conditions such that flying was nearly impossible, Captain Baucom voluntarily undertook a flight as observer to locate the position of enemy troops and machine-gun nests which had been holding up our advance and causing severe casualties. Forced to fly at a very low altitude and subjected to almost constant antiaircraft, and rifle fire, he obtained the information that was vital to the success of our operations, and dropped the message at division headquarters. He then penetrated far into the enemy lines, and opening fire upon enemy crews routed them from a series of machine-gun nests. When his machine was finally shot down, he succeeded in operating the gun, and beat off an attack by the enemy in force. Armed only with revolvers and German grenades which they found in an enemy emplacement, he and his pilot then worked their way back to the American lines with valuable information, repeatedly subjected to enemy fire on their way."

post-518-0-36832900-1451710953.jpg

If he got the DSC, I wonder what the pilot got.

The pilot was Lt. William P. Erwin, and he was also awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross that day.

In fact, Erwin & Baucom were awarded multiple DSCs. What a lethal team to say the least...

Here's a portrait of Lt. Erwin:

-Chuck

post-518-0-72624800-1451763110.jpg

There is a Find a grave memorial and photographs for a cousin several times removed {Distaff side of the family

See http://www.findagrave/com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=55960728

Also buried here is a possible relation from the other side of the family-

Find a grave memorial 55998272 Gabrille Zippilli

Supposedly he was a brother of paternal grandmother-however I think he was a cousin.

Sorry no photographs of him--but...

Service # 95582

He was a resident of PA but he served in a Ohio Regiment {Sorry I dont know why}

Served in 1st Div Prov Recruit Battalion 11th Co-then served in Co M 166th Infantry Regiment

His death was observed by Pvt Charles Irben {Service # 95574} on Main road to Suian; burial was made 10 meters north of road of Suian-1 kilometer east of the village of Hillidare-la-Grande.

On Dece 11, 1918 his brother Norman Zippilli wrote to War Dept about his brother whom he'd hadnt heard from since May 1918; On Dec 26, 1918 the War Dept wrote back that word had been sent back to his neck of kin-his father Fransisco Zippili of Sant Mero Italy and that Norman should write to Zippilli commanding officer {copy sent to Norman on January 17, 1919. An offical Letter in English was sent to Francisco Zippilli. On Oct 22, 1922 Fransisco Zippilli sent a letter in Italain to the War Dept saying he had not received Gabrielle Zippilli personal effects: a translation was sent to the War Dept. On Nov 14,1 922 the Quatermaster Corps wrote back these effects were not in storage; on Nov 24, 1922 the Adjutant General wrote Fransisco Zippilli that Gabrille Zipplli's effects had been sent from Hoboken New Jersey to Italy onMay 17, 1919 Registered MAil # 5932 and ended by saying that an investigation was conducted for puposes of asertainting their wereabouts, communications being addressed to the Postmaster of Sant Amero, Teramo Italy MArch 4 and May 14, 1920

requesting information relative to their receipt but no reply was ever received..."

And that is as far as offical records regarding Pvt Gabrillle Zippilli go...

gauthieb3sxz

And a touching photo of a 118th Infantry doughboy from Silver Lake, MN who was KIA. I tracked down a series of memoirs written by a close friend of his who mentions the moments leading up to his tragic death. I posted the entire story here, but I will give a few snippits:

“I stopped to talk to Prochaska who had dug in deep by himself and was carrying straw to bed down with. I and he had always dug in together before, but now as I was a runner, we were parted. Well, he did not get used to his foxhole as he was put on guard at Company Headquarters where I was. There in the hedges he slept when off guard, that being the last time I talked with him. That night, though I had a warm bed, I was not able to sleep as the cooties and German fleas started going over the top and giving me no peace……

After getting through the hedge and the wire fence which separated us from the field, we noticed an observation balloon. We had a funny feeling something terrible was in store for us. My heart made a few quick beats and I felt pale. All of us runners said to the Captain that it would be suicide to cross the field……. I noticed dozens of Americans lying on the railroad bank killed and the rails lay twisted up…….. We now got to talk to some men of the 128th Regiment who said the same thing happened to them at Brancourt…… The first I got across, one of the boys called me and said, “Prochaska, Dahlgren is killed.” He had our names mixed up. The boys were lying close to Prochaska told me his head and shoulder were knocked off by a shell. He had been my best friend for a long time……”

kia29th414.jpg

gauthieb3sxz

Here's one that took a TON of research to identify. I looked up EVERY pilot with the first name of harold or harry who flew in Italy. From there, I narrowed it down by checking ancestry websites for the 1900 and 1910 census records to see which had a brother named Robert. From there I was left with just a few possibilities. By cross referencing handwriting examples from public documents, I figured out the ID. Harry Manchester! A perfect match. See my blog post here.

harrywatermarked.jpg

Here's one that took a TON of research to identify. I looked up EVERY pilot with the first name of harold or harry who flew in Italy. From there, I narrowed it down by checking ancestry websites for the 1900 and 1910 census records to see which had a brother named Robert. From there I was left with just a few possibilities. By cross referencing handwriting examples from public documents, I figured out the ID. Harry Manchester! A perfect match. See my blog post here.

harrywatermarked.jpg

Great story!

This is one of those killer portraits that would be the highlight of any Air Service collection.

I'll contribute some of my favorite studio photos, first off is this one, named to E. Gilmari. I love this one because of the swagger he exudes with the popped collar and the "Hate Belt"

post-156248-0-58477300-1452020113.jpg

I'll contribute some of my favorite studio photos, first off is this one, named to E. Gilmari. I love this one because of the swagger he exudes with the popped collar and the "Hate Belt"

Great belt shot! It's really neat to see these being worn--a good reminder to collectors like myself. I tend to think of these as "flat" artifacts, rather than something that was worn around the waist.

Thanks for sharing!

JAG