Show your WWI Studio Photographs

Jeffrey Magut

Here's a photo of my grandfather, Walter Fields. He was a member of the 322nd Field Artillery (83rd division) but his unit was attached to the 32nd Division. Sorry for the less than stellar photography work on my part but in the photo, his collar disk clearly reads: S-crossed cannons-322 and he has the 32nd division patch sewn to his uniform.
A less savvy collector who picks up such a uniform might assume it had been messed with considering the apparent mismatch between collar disk and patch!
(BROKEN LINK REMOVED)

776thamtrac

My Great Great Uncle Harrison Andrew Wilson. Corporal Comapny L, 119th Infantry, 30th Infantry Division. Served at Ypers, Belicourt, Busigny, St. Couplet, Mazengheim. Combat wounded.

post-755-1176256640.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Here is a photograph of my great grandfather, Mack L. Hughes. Mack served in Company E, 146th Infantry Regiment 37th Infantry Division.

post-245-1178668192.jpg

This is my great-great uncle Samuel R Smith. He served with the 413 motor supply trans. motor truck co 432.

post-100-1178671222.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

A fine thread - thanks for posting!

Here's a Threesome set that turned up on the last tide the other day: Yes they're named but as yet unresearched.

- Charles. C. Jordan, 36th Engineers,

- Geo. Wm. Archer, Aviation,

- Headley E. Jordan, Transportation.

The solo guy's also in a SpanAm war period studio portrait foto, and another in the field w/2 other horsemen - the back of that one (fading badly!) says "Rough Riders" and mentions a battle...

Can anyone help w/any of this? The patch maybe? I like the Aviator's bullion wings.

Thanks.post-496-1179456148.jpg

This is my great-great uncle Samuel R Smith. He served with the 413 motor supply trans. motor truck co 432.

post-100-1178671222.jpg

three Louies - one aviator, one in transpo, and one in 34th engineers. large 8X12s in studio covers of "Knox" an Atlanta, GA photog.

post-496-1179500069.jpg post-496-1179500069.jpg

three Louies - one aviator, one in transpo, and one in 34th engineers. large 8X12s in studio covers of "Knox" an Atlanta, GA photog.

post-496-1179500069.jpg post-496-1179500069.jpg

pic 2 (sorry for the double...)post-496-1179500201.jpg

pic 2 (sorry for the double...)post-496-1179500201.jpg

pic 3

BTW - the solo guy - Charlie Clement Jordan - was a Rough Rider according to some other pix and captions from the same batch...

post-496-1179500398.jpg

pic 3

BTW - the solo guy - Charlie Clement Jordan - was a Rough Rider according to some other pix and captions from the same batch...

post-496-1179500398.jpg

Any idea as to values? Thanks guys...!

duarte1223

I really can't get enough of these WW1 studio portraits. Keep posting guys, I know there have to be more out there!

Adam

I really can't get enough of these WW1 studio portraits. Keep posting guys, I know there have to be more out there!

Adam

thanks Adam yeh there are some really super ones - the MPs and other armed foks are great...

• 2 weeks later...
Jeffrey Magut

post-121-1180483581.jpg

A recent addition to my collection: Lt. B. Meredith Langstaff, a lawyer from Brooklyn (Harvard and Columbia Law). Co I, 308th Infantry Regiment.

A quote from the 308th History: The engagement on August 22nd of Company I, under Captain Harrington, and of Company K, under Captain Frothingham, in their positions beyond the Vesle was one of the severest experienced by the 308th Infantry.

The following vivid account of Company I's engagement is furnished by Lieutenant Langstaff of the 4th platoon:

"The fight grew hotter especially in our rear, I called in Sergeant Riley's post, because it was too far away to control. I sent runners to Lieutenant Fowler, only one of whom returned with news that he was safe and putting up a hard fight on his front. Men straggled in from the 3rd platoon and reported that it had been split by the enemy in overwhelming numbers and had fallen back on the 4th and 2nd platoons. Lieutenant Galligan joined Lieutenant Fowler."

Greg Sebring

I have posted some extensive pictures of another 308th Infantry soldier in Company H. It is on another website (WAF) and I really don't want to repeat the entire process for this great forum. If you are interested in WWI, I think you will find this collage interesting Here's the link,...

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/sho...ad.php?t=157415

Greg

• 2 weeks later...

From my collection. A 3rd Division vet who was awarded a DSC:

post-203-1181530627.jpg

MAY, LESTER T.

Private First Class, U.S. Army

Company F, 4th Infantry Regiment, 3d Division, A.E.F.

Date of Action: July 14 - 15, 1918

Citation:

The Distinguished Service Cross is presented to Lester T. May, Private First Class, U.S. Army, for extraordinary heroism in action near Grand Ballois Farm, France, July 14 - 15, 1918. During a heavy shelling, Private May volunteered and delivered messages over routes, where all other runners had been either killed or wounded.

General Orders No. 32, W.D., 1919

Home Town: Wyalusing, PA

Jeffrey Magut

New to my collection: a 1st Division EM with his aiguillette and what looks to be a mourning band on his arm. His cap has an officer style US device.

This thread is better than I ever dreamed it could be. You could make a fine book out the photos posted so far.

post-121-1182128200.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
From my collection. A 3rd Division vet who was awarded a DSC:

post-203-1181530627.jpg

MAY, LESTER T.

Private First Class, U.S. Army

Company F, 4th Infantry Regiment, 3d Division, A.E.F.

Date of Action: July 14 - 15, 1918

Citation:

The Distinguished Service Cross is presented to Lester T. May, Private First Class, U.S. Army, for extraordinary heroism in action near Grand Ballois Farm, France, July 14 - 15, 1918. During a heavy shelling, Private May volunteered and delivered messages over routes, where all other runners had been either killed or wounded.

General Orders No. 32, W.D., 1919

Home Town: Wyalusing, PA

Hi All,

He is also listed in the "SOLDIERS OF THE GREAT WAR MEMORIAL EDITION"

CPL LESTER T. MAY, WYALUSING, PA. W.A. (WOUNDED IN ACTION) with picture.

Just thought you would like to know.

Yours,

Terry

post-629-1183856407.jpgHere is one I thought you would like to see. I guess just after war on occupation duty. How about those belts on EM's

Yours,

Terry

On post #72, those are enlisted M1910 Garrison Belts. They would have the "US" on the belt plate. The officer's version has a national eagle.

• 2 weeks later...