Show your WWI Studio Photographs

Jeffrey Magut

Another recent studio shot that has been impossible to ID. A 9th Infantry officer and his brother, who must have been in one of the Machine Gun Battalions of the 82nd - his collar is just a bit too dark to read a number, but you can see the MG patch on his sleeve under the 82nd. Photo came from the SC/GA border and I couldn't find a pair of brothers/relatives in either states records that fit the bill. A shame!

post-5941-0-94919700-1556072003.jpg

And this studio shot I really lucked into this past weekend, a group of Battery D 5th Artillery men throwing dice and redistributing pay in Germany....

post-5941-0-45539600-1556072362_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
mysteriousoozlefinch

D3aKf8u.jpg

Here's an interesting one from the North Carolina State Library. Surfman Prochorus L. O’Neal of Rodanthe, N.C., sometime after the August 1918 SS Mirlo rescue. Like most ex-US Lifesaving Service personnel, his uniform is a mix of old and new. He was stationed at the Chicamacomico Lifesaving Station.

My Great Uncle and Aunt. He was in N. Russian, wounded, sent to hospital in France and met her. IIRC, married in France, returned home( N.C.) in 1924? Knew them as a kid and always wanted to see all he brought home. 1911, uniforms, helmets and lots of other goodies. Sadly they both passed away late 60s, their only son got everything, turned out to be a drunk and sold it all cheap.post-6975-0-62601300-1557245044.jpeg

• 2 months later...
aerialbridge

"This remarkable photo from circa 1918 depicts American Soldiers paying tribute to the millions of horses, donkeys and mules that were killed during WW1. In addition to the thousands of soldiers who were killed during the first great war, over 8 million horses, donkeys and mules were brutally slaughtered in battle.In this photograph, American soldiers pay tribute to the animals who helped them win the war. They have joined together to form a horse's head and this moving photograph commemorates the forgotten animals who gave their lives to the nation. The touching black and white photo is believed to have been taken by officers of the Auxiliary Remount Dept. No.326 in Camp Cody, New Mexico."

post-18406-0-47550800-1563146232_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

Have picked up too many photos recently to add, but this one was a recent scan (as well as recent favorite).  Came with a lot of 78th patched shots, so assuming he is a New Jersey boy.

img278wm.jpg.07ac6c17151049f8fbc60904e0ca029e.jpg

On 4/28/2021 at 3:53 PM, AustinO said:

'AustinO' - Thank you for reviving this thread with a poignant image. Subtle colorizing to boot...

The Rooster

This is a shot of my Grandfather Paul on my Dads side.

He was a clerk on General Pershings staff at AEF Headquarters

in the Engineering dept.

He had a brownie camera with him and Im riding this shot along that he took of a train full of German POWS.

Grandpa died in 1989. The first shot of him could be late 1917..

The last one is after the armistice. He has considerably more bling on his uniform compared with zero on the first pic.

g.jpg

Untitled-1.jpg

Paul.A.Ruhe-WW1-AEF.jpg

555.jpg

• 7 months later...
Pro Libertate

This photograph came with a recent lot I purchased from Goodwill.

"Edward Ross Ringler, 1918"

I wasn't able to find any more information on this fellow.

20211211_083519.jpg

20211211_084139.jpg

35 minutes ago, Pro Libertate said:

This photograph came with a recent lot I purchased from Goodwill.

"Edward Ross Ringler, 1918"

I wasn't able to find any more information on this fellow.

He was inducted at Camp Logan CO in August of 1918, and was there until the Armistice was signed.  Probably discharged immediately after.  From Iowa. 

Pro Libertate
4 minutes ago, AustinO said:

He was inducted at Camp Logan CO in August of 1918, and was there until the Armistice was signed.  Probably discharged immediately after.  From Iowa. 

Thanks for the info! I sure appreciate it.

24 minutes ago, Bluehawk said:

Austin, question about those WWI leggings:

Were they wrapped around the calves, or what? What were they made of?

They're wrapped putties, same material as the uniform, cut very long and carefully wrapped around the legs. 

2 minutes ago, AustinO said:

They're wrapped putties, same material as the uniform, cut very long and carefully wrapped around the legs. 

I can picture that now, thanks... reminds me a lot of wrapping lower legs of horses I've done many a time. 

• 10 months later...
Salvage Sailor

Back to the Front!  Over the Top!

Long pause on this visual album of Great War participants, do carry on posthaste

1524209552_104thIR26thIDWWI002a.jpg.3028a4c835eada0d4e79eeae85844f80.jpg

104th Infantry Regiment, 26th Yankee Division

1135561076_104thIR26thIDWWI002c.jpg.fc54966d7d4c14fe8dc5a0ddafce1027.jpg

1598281533_104thIR26thIDWWI002.jpg.a5779c01dafa2e213f08b896d4668fc7.jpg

Lt. Harry D. Hotaling served with the 166th AS from 10.12.18 to the Armistice & beyond. He hailed from Ponca City, Oklahoma & took his flight training at Kelly Field, TX before heading for the war in Europe in August 1918. 

Seen here at a Studio in Trier, Germany, just a hop/skip/jump from being stationed with the squadron at the Zeppelin Hangar grounds in Trier. 1121506694_CT_HH_HarryDHotalinginTrierStudio1.2.jpg.edbb005a33ea75d1ab7a1fabe84f69ab.jpg