Show your WWI Studio Photographs

Jeffrey Magut

Agreed....driver's caps, jerkins, and rubber boots. Nice image.

Thanks. Not something I was familiar with. Not your typical US Doughboy photo.

Concernedfuturedogface

Grandfather was a machine gunner, I have another at home of them with their MG. Not sure whether we used a vickers or a browning at that time. I'll post the others I have when I get the chance.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Eric: Fascinating image of the Marine/ USN guy. Very nice, indeed!

Concerned: Great image of the Grandfather and crew. WWInerd will enjoying seeing another jerkin lined with plaid fabric (standing, center). When I saw the drawing my first thought was, "Motor transport group" because of the 07 caps, hip waders, jerkins, so I was pleasantly surprised (and reminded to "not judge a book by its cover") when you said he was in an MG group. Yes, we would love to see the photo of him with his MG. Great image of a family member to have--oh, and VERY nice drawing!

JAG

This is a really interesting picture. He is wearing a 1st Class Crow on his sleeve and a Chief Petty Officer hat device. I don't know what to think :-)

Chris

Corpmen with Naval Railway Battery

Concernedfuturedogface

The only photo I have at the moment. Photo of my great grandfather and his comrades. Includes artwork I did for my grandfather. Posted Image

Here's the full picture of the first one I sent, and the one of them with their machine gun Posted ImagePosted Image

Salvage Sailor

Eric: Fascinating image of the Marine/ USN guy. Very nice, indeed!

Concerned: Great image of the Grandfather and crew. WWInerd will enjoying seeing another jerkin lined with plaid fabric (standing, center). When I saw the drawing my first thought was, "Motor transport group" because of the 07 caps, hip waders, jerkins, so I was pleasantly surprised (and reminded to "not judge a book by its cover") when you said he was in an MG group. Yes, we would love to see the photo of him with his MG. Great image of a family member to have--oh, and VERY nice drawing!

JAG

When I saw the first one with the Jerkins I was thinking a Pioneer or Forestry unit

Concernedfuturedogface

Spectacular photos, thanks for the follow up post

The person who my grandparents sent the originals to did an amazing job refurbishing them.

I have owned a copy of that MG photo before...as well as a similar view taken at the same location. If memory serves me, they are members of one of the MG Battalions in the 5th Division.

Here's the full picture of the first one I sent, and the one of them with their machine gun b75e83e52f8cd78d4d0470a49db4c30d.jpg

HOLY CRUD, that is one fine photo of a grandpa! You know, we photo collectors clamor for this kind of portrait shot. It is a great one. Hold onto it for family and dear life (I'll give you a benjamin for it...JUST KIDDING!! KEEP IT, Protect it!!)

Do you know in what unit he served? MAW's memory is pointing toward a 5th Division MG unit.

I hope Brennan doesn't mind me posting this image from his collection. These guys, posed in the same improvised studio (same MG?), I believe, were in the 88th Division

post-949-0-65157100-1493214171.jpg

Concernedfuturedogface

MAW AND JAGJETTA: such a similar grouping of men in a photo is amazing , and a pleasant surprise also. Must've been a common picture for an MG crew to take, almost like a sports team haha. As for the picture, I know my grandparents have the originals in a safe place, as they have other historical memorabilia, and wherever they end up in the event of their passing, I will make sure they continue to be taken care of. It's amazing to have such a rich family history, my Poppy Nate (in the photos was quite a man. Only recently did my grandfather find the extent of his service in WWI. We have his trifold flag and discharge papers also.

I hope this image doesn't stretch too far past the parameters of this thread topic. One of the two Marines in this photo is Harold E. Shipmaker who joined the Corps during the "Occupation Era" on June 10, 1920. In August 1920, he was assigned to the 43rd Company, 5th Regiment, but he wasn't in it long. By April 1921, he was in the 3rd Company (Signal), 1st Regiment. Later he was a prison guard at a Naval Station.

My eyes may be playing tricks on me, but the fellow on the left appears to be wearing a swivel holster marked "USMC" on the flap.

post-949-0-83364800-1493240988.jpg post-949-0-93061800-1493240995.jpg

post-949-0-23499700-1493241003.jpg post-949-0-50545000-1493241051.jpg

That is a great shot John. Not something you (or at least I) see often. I couldn't pass on this one. Nothing special content wise but a nice image.

b x.jpg

Eric,

Nothing special? Hat is a great image! Just tally the "collector value: P17 tunic, forest green cal, EGA collar discs, 2nd Division patch, Marksman's badge.... pretty darn special! Thanks for showing that neat images like this exist.

John

world war I nerd

The ribbons are WW I Victory Medal, Inter-Allied Victory Medal & VFW Medal. Of the three ribbons, only the the Victory Medal was authorized. The inter-Allied Medal was sold overseas and the VFW medals were also either awarded or purchased overseas after becoming a member of that organization.

The two latter ribbon bars are commonly seen pinned onto service coats and in period photos. Most Marines & Doughboys acquired them in order to "dress up" their service coats for the parades back home.

At some point in 1919, orders were issued, banning the unauthorized ribbons and inspections were held on the homeward bound troopships in which all unauthorized insignia & ribbons were stripped. However, as soon as the men were released from service the frowned upon ribbons & insignia reappeared.

Those three ribbons, along with the American Legion Medal ribbon were probably the most common group of ribbons worn by returning Marines & Doughboys.

PS, the multi-striped ribbon,showing the colors of the Allied nations is the Inter-Allied Victory ribbon & the blue, red, white & yellow ribbon is the VFW ribbon.

post-5143-0-67316300-1493341595.jpg

SgtMaddoxUSMC

Ahh that's what I thought.. looked like the first one was Victory medal but the other two I had no idea on! Thanks!

Thanks Nerd for fielding that one. I am clueless when it comes to ribbons (among other things...)

• 2 weeks later...

A Great War Sailor, with an ID.

post-34986-0-27241700-1494302889_thumb.jpg

Second boy, William Edward Sheehan, served his country in World War I as a member of the United States Naval Reserve Force at the U.S Naval base Cardiff, Wales. Great Britain. The base was established in September, 1918, and was tasked with duties to supervise the shipment of coal to France. The coal was used by American troop transports at the Le Havre, Brest and other ports on the Bay of Biscay. He was there with over 1,758 American officers and 4,101 American seamen. William was part of the effort that allowed the delivery of over 96,000 tons of coal utilizing 53 colliers operated by the United States Naval Overseas Transport Service.

Donald L Stoneking worked for the Postal Service at APO 911. He was a member of the 319th Field Signal Battalion.

post-949-0-97986600-1494361239.jpg post-949-0-97769200-1494361247.jpg

post-949-0-25512500-1494432436.jpg post-949-0-51174800-1494432446.jpg

1st Lt. (Chaplain) Harry Dubois Southard, photographed when attached to HQ Detachment, 323rd MG Battalion (83rd Division)

In 1919, he transferred to American Embarkation Center, LeMans, France and when he left France later that year, he is listed as “Chaplain, 1st US Engineers (reinforced by a 1920 listing in the Directory of US Chaplains that shows him as Chaplain (Lt), 1st US Engineers, Camp Dix, NJ..

In 1924, he traveled to Panama aboard the St. Mihiel and is listed as the "Transport Chaplain"

1924-Feb 21. On First Class passenger list of St Mihiel from New York to Panama. Listed as “Transport Chaplain.” A year later, when sailing from New York to San Francisco, he is listed with the rank of Captain.

In 1928, he and his wife, Rilla, sailed to Chinwangstan, China, though it appears not on military business, as Southard's status is listed as "LEAVE.".

By 1943, Southard held the rank of Lieutenant Colonel and the chief chaplain of the Third Service Command.

He died in 1973 and is buried in Arlington National Cemetery along with his wife, Rillla.

post-949-0-11151800-1494432452.jpg

Eric Queen

A couple more great ones John. Have never seen a Postal Service portrait like that before.

Eric Queen

A couple more from me. First, rare images of Marines wearing Army of Occupation patches.

d x.jpg