Show your WWI Studio Photographs

Jeffrey Magut

Here is a photo of Lt. Kingsley B Colton of Winnetka, Illinois, taken during his 1918 Christmas leave. He came from an old English family and was a 1915 graduate of Amherst University. After the war he settled down and became a stock broker, eventually marrying a member of a prominent Chicago family in the 1920s. Artur

post-50337-0-21916000-1485400237_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

NICE shot, Brennan! You always snag the cheap BINs.

Here's one that I paid regular money for!

Edward Anderson Stinson, Jr. (July 11, 1893 – January 26, 1932)

During WWI he served as a flight instructor for at Kelly Field. In 1921, he set a world endurance record for flight.

He was the founder of Stinson Aircraft Company. At the time of his death in 1932 in an air crash, he was the world's most experienced pilot in flight hours, with over 16,000 hours logged.[

post-949-0-70190700-1486154941.jpg post-949-0-66592100-1486154955.jpg

post-949-0-52932500-1486154948.jpg

Jag and crew,

Sorry I've been absent the past month or so! The winter caught up with me. Now I'm back in action. Mighty crisp details on those wings!

Eric,

The fellow in the BIN($15) shot I won is wearing shows an ambulance driver with the American Field Service. Note the sam browne belt and fourragere(or aiguillette

?)

• 2 weeks later...

Brennan -

That's a wonderful portrait at a bargain price....can't beat it!

JAG -

The Stinson studio portrait is superb. Such clarity...and the content is right up my alley ;)

Here's a recent pick-up:

He's either an enlisted aviator (EM wings on his coat), an aviation mechanic (they flew often to troubleshoot aircraft), or a dispatch rider. I'm leaning towards aviation...

-Chuck

post-518-0-60121500-1487438708_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
gauthieb3sxz

The upward pointing chevron is actually a discharge chevron, and not a rank insignia.

PaulyP - I note in your sig line that you're into 101st and 102nd field artillery photos material? I have some shots in my collection that may interest you.

102ndfull.jpg

I saw a guy listed on findagrave,com a John Louis Leonardi of the 318th Field Hospital, 305th Sanitary Train, 80th Division. I emailed the guy who posted it to see if he'd check my pic with the yard long he has on Mr. Leonardi's page.

The patch on the left sleeve appears to be from the U.S. Army 80th Division. The rank could be private.
Hope this helps.

northcoastaero

paulyp99,

A friend of mine had a relative who served in the 80th Div. during WWI. He has a lot of

documentation and reference materials on the 80th Div., especially for WWI and WWII. He

also co-authored or contributed a related book and is part of the division's historical

society, etc. I could ask him to do some research on your photo when he has time. I am

not an expert on WWII uniforms, insignia, etc., but the device on the collar looks to be

related to the medical corps? Hope this helps.

gauthieb3sxz

Chaplain Arthur Joseph LaVeer was born along the Connecticut River in the Northeast Kingdom (a regional name) town of Bloomfield, Vermont on February 3rd, 1886. Commissioned as a 1st Lt. on August 22nd, 1918, LeVeer was quickly sent overseas to serve as a chaplain with the 102nd Infantry Regiment of the 26th “Yankee Division.”

Identified chaplain photos are incredibly hard to find on the open market, and to find an example taken overseas showing a unit patch and chaplain insignia makes this an exciting acquisition. Father LeVeer served at St. Norbert’s Church in Hardwick for the remainder of his life; this is a spot that I’ve passed hundreds of times during my life without giving a second thought to the WWI history of the area.

scans310.jpg?w=676

gauthieb3sxz

And another 102nd Field Artillery Soldier: the info below is from my original blog post..

My passion for WWI Vermont material is endless and I make every effort to track down unique, original photos and objects related to Vermonters in the Great War. It’s not easy to find and often comes at a price; 26th Division material is popular with French collectors and fetches a high price when purchased on eBay. In this case, I was able to purchase a studio photo of a 102nd Field Artillery Vermonter of Battery A . Curtis J. Sawyer was born in Middlebury, VT on September 13th, 1893 – nearly 120 years ago!

He worked at hotels most of his life, having worked at Clark’s Hotel in Boston in 1917 when he registered for the draft. Previously he served as a clerk for City Hall in Barre, VT – not far from where I work! He started his career early at the age of 17 (at least) and worked as a clerk and hotel man unit his death. He is listed as being tall with a slender complextion with blue eyes and brown hair. He lived nearly 90 years and died in 1980 in Arlington, MA – not far from Boston.

curtis-sawyer090a.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The National League of Women's Services (NLWS) was established in early 1917 in conjunction with the Red Cross and in anticipation of the US entering WWI. This woman is wearing the uniform and insignia of the the Motor Transport section of the NLWS.

post-949-0-76556800-1492807749.jpg post-949-0-59759600-1492807756.jpg

post-949-0-25203600-1492807765.jpg

The National League of Women's Services (NLWS) was established in early 1917 in conjunction with the Red Cross and in anticipation of the US entering WWI. This woman is wearing the uniform and insignia of the the Motor Transport section of the NLWS.

Wow, that is an amazing image John. And the clarity. Incredible. Proves once again that the rarest items usually get the least responses.

I snagged a couple photos from the recent Bay State updates and this was my favorite. Mistakenly identified as a Corpsman attached to a Marine unit.

c x.jpg

Concernedfuturedogface

The only photo I have at the moment. Photo of my great grandfather and his comrades. Includes artwork I did for my grandfather. Posted Image

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

I snagged a couple photos from the recent Bay State updates and this was my favorite. Mistakenly identified as a Corpsman attached to a Marine unit.

This is a really interesting picture. He is wearing a 1st Class Crow on his sleeve and a Chief Petty Officer hat device. I don't know what to think :-)

Chris