Show your WWI Studio Photographs

Jeffrey Magut

Military Engineer

Infantryman of the 3rd Army Occupation era. The disk is blurry, but it looks like E company, 5th Infantry Regiment.

post-6190-0-31036200-1482700121_thumb.jpg

Military Engineer

I've had this photo for about 20 years. I love it because there is so much in this photo of these two 40th ID soldiers.

post-6190-0-31993400-1482702781_thumb.jpg

Infantryman of the 3rd Army Occupation era. The disk is blurry, but it looks like E company, 5th Infantry Regiment.

Fantastic portrait--5th Infantry Rgt would make sense as they arrived in Coblenz in late 1919 to prepare for a mission in Silesia. The mission was cancelled so the 5th remained in Germany until 1921-22.

Looks like 89th ID

Can you make out the collar disc? It's either 89th Div Supply Train or a 314th Engineers (89th Div) variant. My money's on Supply Train...

Great photos by the way!

-Chuck

Very nice photos. Thanks for posting.

Speaking of A of O here is one you don't see too often. The A of O patch being worn by a Marine.

djy0002.jpg

Reverse

u566560002.jpg

Reverse

Eric-- what a great shot---thanks for sharing---You're right about the scarcity of marines wearing Third Army patches---from my research it appears the only marines to do so were those who served on the Rhine River patrol or were assigned for some reason to work in the Third Army HQ---Here's Corporal Edward J. Donnelly at the helm of the SS Mosel and passing under the Remagen Bridge in January 1919

I have been building a spreadsheet of the members of the Marine Rhine River Patrol but did not have your guy's name---I'll have to do a little research and see if he fits...

post-2235-0-36954100-1482944137_thumb.jpg

Eric and Al,

That is very interesting about Marines and the Rhine River Patrol. I really couldn't figure out why Eric's Marine had an Army of Occupation insignia, but Al sure offered a good explanation.

post-949-0-05822700-1483025340.jpg

post-949-0-88118500-1483025409.jpg post-949-0-23252400-1483025505.jpg

Not as deep thinking, I thought this was a novelty studio portrait of four soldiers taken by the French photographer Chandioux (Verdun--his stamp is on the back of this RPPC). But, as I started to crop for sharing, I realized it was taken outside a building. The improvised studio has been decorated with a fake gangplank to nowhere and a cut-out life preserver for the "USS SALMON" (During WWI, no US Navy ship was named the "Salmon," though SS-19 had started life as the "Salmon" in 1910. The Salmon was renamed the D-3 in 1910 and then the SS-19 in 1911).

Another "impromptu" studio shot (dirt floor with painted backdrop) taken in France, March 17, 1919.

Handwritten note on reverse reads:

"Honey Bunch.

Miss Finch & little black eyed devil, Miss Bartlett"

post-949-0-04814700-1483027858.jpg

post-949-0-87364200-1483027867.jpg post-949-0-35044200-1483027874.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Show offs! You guys are posting some premium images...

Since I have yet to upload some of my own "premium" content to my phone, this one will have to do...for now.

An 82nd Division band member wearing two different types of Officer collar insignia: a typical blackened one on his collar, and a gilt variant on his OS cap. It reminds me of another thread I've been meaning to start - Enlisted/NCOs wearing Officer insignia, both in the studio & out in the field.

- Chuck

post-518-0-41883900-1484016479_thumb.jpg

Since I have yet to upload some of my own "premium" content to my phone, this one will have to do...for now.

An 82nd Division band member wearing two different types of Officer collar insignia: a typical blackened one on his collar, and a gilt variant on his OS cap. It reminds me of another thread I've been meaning to start - Enlisted/NCOs wearing Officer insignia, both in the studio & out in the field.

- Chuck

A rebel and typical 82nd Div guy, Chuck, no wonder you like this shot...

An interesting assortment of war veterans.

Front Row: Spanish American War veteran from Maine(always loved those Span Am vet medals), and a 1st Div doughboy wearing what appears to be a Croix de Guerre ribbon bar w/ bronze star.

Back row: Enlisted Air Service pilot with winged 4-bladed prop on his upper right sleeve, followed by three other doughboys (haven't been able to determine their unit affiliation). Note they are all wearing the same town medal.

I can't help but wonder if these are all local Maine men posing together.

post-518-0-57842700-1484669913_thumb.jpg

PortraitofWar

An interesting assortment of war veterans.

Front Row: Spanish American War veteran from Maine(always loved those Span Am vet medals), and a 1st Div doughboy wearing what appears to be a Croix de Guerre ribbon bar w/ bronze star.

Back row: Enlisted Air Service pilot with winged 4-bladed prop on his upper right sleeve, followed by three other doughboys (haven't been able to determine their unit affiliation). Note they are all wearing the same town medal.

I can't help but wonder if these are all local Maine men posing together.

Hubba hubba!

- Chuck

That is a super image Chuck. One of the nicest from the 82nd I have seen.

A recent pickup of personalized autographed studio photo of Major General Frederick S. Strong who commanded the 40th Division in WW1, taken at Liberty Studio at Camp Kearny, California.

Frederick Strong Pic-001.jpg

f1.jpg

f2.jpg