Show your WWI Studio Photographs

Jeffrey Magut

Meet Pvt. David D. Newlin,

born in MO. lived in Quincy, IL. entered US Army 9/7/1918, discharged 1/14/1919. 23rd Rec. Company, General Service Infantry.

Just got these from a flea market along with his dog tags. His Head stone has him with a number off in his service number.

post-629-0-66411500-1463325859.jpg

Meet Pvt. David D. Newlin,

born in MO. lived in Quincy, IL. entered US Army 9/7/1918, discharged 1/14/1919. 23rd Rec. Company, General Service Infantry.

Just got these from a flea market along with his dog tags. His Head stone has him with a number off in his service number.

I think a section of my brain went dark....What is "23rd Rec. Company"?

Thanks and sorry for the dumb question, I just cant seem to think what "Rec." is in WWI terms!

John

RustyCanteen

Thanks and sorry for the dumb question, I just cant seem to think what "Rec." is in WWI terms!

John

Receiving Company. Now you have to ask what a Receiving Company is. :lol:

RC

John

I think I found the answer to my own question....23rd RECRUITING Company, General Service Infantry. :blush:

Oh shoot...I didn't see the reply with "RECEIVING Company." Now i am shaking my head again...I am so confused! :blink:

Is a RECEIVING Company like a "REPLACEMENT" Company, that is, full of unassigned recruits?

Sorry for taking up bandwith while I shake the cobwebs from my head.

Requested his marker read, D.Dee Newlin

I think this appears to be the same guy:

David D Newlin, No. 3778249, Born Bevier, Missouri, August 5, 1892

Living at 411 E Illinois St, Kirksville, Missouri, when inducted at Kirksville on Sept. 7, 1918

Served with "Local Board, Kirksville, MO to Discharge"

This is from his Form No. 724-1, AGO, available from Missouri Soldiers Records

JMcCulloch

This studio photograph of Lucian D. Booth was taken in France - it's a little hard to see, but he has a huge 1st Army patch on his uniform. Booth was a native of Mississippi, and graduated from the United States Military Academy, Class of 1907. During World War I he served 13 months in France. Booth stayed in the army after the war, and rose to the rank of Colonel. He also served in World War 2, retiring on September 30, 1943. He died on February 22, 1960, and is buried in Arlington National Cemetery.

attachicon.gif SCAN0146.JPG

I found the following about Booth in a memorial on the West Point website:

The first ten years of Lucians service in the Army were in the Coast Artillery Corps with stations at Fortress Monroe, Virginia; The Philippine Islands; Long Island, N.Y.; and, as the foreboding clouds of the First World War burst into storm, as an instructor in mechanics at West Point. He became a Major of Field Artillery in September 1917 and was assigned immediately as Ordnance Officer of the 30th National Guard Infantry Division. In May 1918 he embarked for France with the Division which, on arrival, was aligned with the British in Northern France. This was one of the fast-moving, hard-hitting military aggregations which, in the latter part of September 1918, broke the much vaunted Hindenburg Line. The following month Lucian was ordered to duty with the Chief of Ordnance of the First Army, then busily enmeshed in combat in the Meuse-Argonne. Here he was serving when the Armistice came November 11, 1918. His Purple Heart Meritorious Service Citation describes the courage and steadfastness with which he performed his duties in battle. His service ribbon carries four stars for significant battle participation. - http://apps.westpointaog.org/Memorials/Article/4560/

OUTSTANDING! Booth was my Grandfather's direct commander! I signed his promtion papers and his CdG nomination. In 1942 he recruited my Grandfather back into the Ordnance Corps!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
carthage light guard

Frank H. Demski of Chicago, a member of Company B, 353rd Infantry, 89th Division.

Can someone tell me more about the piece of cloth directly above his overseas chevrons?

post-8964-0-47457400-1471356455_thumb.jpg

Picked up some photos last week while on vacation. I'm having a hard time trying ti ID the SSI on this mans coat, maybe some of you have better vision. Also , I at first thought the circle on his hat was a flaw in the processing of the photo, but upon magnification, it appears to be a badge of some type. Ideas? .post-70300-0-36464300-1471392650_thumb.jpgpost-70300-0-10723500-1471392674.jpgpost-70300-0-31023500-1471392697.jpg

world war I nerd

Carthage Light Guard,

My best guess as to what the cloth "directly over his overseas chevrons" is that it's the backing cloth for a voluntary enlistment star that has since been removed.

The voluntary enlistment star was an unauthorized decoration in the form of a silver star that was worn to indicate that a soldier had volunteered to serve in the Army rather than waiting to be conscripted into it.

This non-regulation decoration was strictly forbidden by the War Department. Because of this special insignia inspections were held on the transport ships that brought AEF veterans back to the United States. Any soldier who was found wearing the silver "voluntary enlistment star" or the gold "first 100,000 over star" or any other unauthorized ribbon, decoration or insignia had it removed from his uniform.

Being an unauthorized and self-awarded decoration the manner in which they were sewn onto the uniform varied from soldier to soldier. Some pinned metal stars directly onto the sleeve, others had the star directly embroidered and still others employed stars that had been embroidered onto various shaped backing clothes, which were then sewn onto the uniform.

If you look closely at the patch of cloth above the service chevrons in the photo you posted you can just make out the ghost of a circular shape, which I suspect once had a silve star embroidered onto it.

Shown below is your now empty "patch of cloth" next to another set of service chevrons with an applied patch of cloth, cut to a different shape, bearing a silver star, which in turn, is next to a third set of service chevrons bearing a star on a round patch of cloth that is similar in size to the faint ghost image found on your backing cloth.

post-5143-0-64107000-1471406846_thumb.jpg

world war I nerd

338th RCT,

The shape of the Liberty Loan insignia in your photo looks like a "shield" (flat on top with a point at the bottom) and the shape of the actual insignia, not the colorized insignia over it, looks to me, like the numeral '1'. If so, this would make it a 1st Division insignia.

The coloration however, looks more like the "Red Arrow" of the 32nd Infantry Division.

Here's a comparison of both the 1st and 32nd Division Liberty Loan style shoulder insignia ... Photos courtesy of Griffin Militaria.com

post-5143-0-20400200-1471407850.jpg

French studio portrait of an unidentified Engineer, though from the looks of his collar disc, I suspect he was in the 23rd Engineer Regiment

JAG

post-949-0-01520400-1471709800.jpg post-949-0-28390300-1471709808_thumb.jpg

post-949-0-98222800-1471709858.jpg post-949-0-85432600-1471709869.jpg

@338

post-70300-0-31023500-1471392697.jpg

Don't know, looks like on one hand a small 37th Division Buckeye shoulder patch pin, a first example of a Patch Type Crest if it is right!, On the second hand a German Army Feldmutze cockade, if that's what it is, the closest one I could think of would be for the State of Lippe, that one had a Yellow border with a Red center. Which ever it might be, it looks like it's on top of some kind of Crossed Rifles of the U.S. Infantry right, but not sure what kind of badge that might be as there were no separate EM collar discs, just one piece stamped ones back then (As witnessed by WWII GIs sometimes taking the main device off of Screwback discs of their branch and placing them on their Garrison Caps).