Show your WWI Studio Photographs

Jeffrey Magut

This was one of my favorite gas mask images - until I saw Jag's - great image!

Man, this is a great image, too! Love the helmet on the floor to facilitate putting on the mask.

I'm really enjoying the recent posts (Eric - that corpsman studio pic was phenomenal)

Another from my collection: An American aviator posing in a Foggia, Italy studio. He appears to be sporting the Italian aviator wings above his breast pocket, as opposed to being worn on the left shoulder

- Chuck

post-518-0-01684600-1450404562.jpeg

I'm really enjoying the recent posts (Eric - that corpsman studio pic was phenomenal)

Another from my collection: An American aviator posing in a Foggia, Italy studio. He appears to be sporting the Italian aviator wings above his breast pocket, as opposed to being worn on the left shoulder

- Chuck

What a great image, Chuck! Yes, I am having LOTS of fun with this thread. About the time I start thinking, "yeah, I have some neat images, I get to see that there are some really phenomenal shots out there (Like Eric's Corpsman image--wow. Wow. WOW).

The thread is helping me rediscover my own collection. Here's one for today, an officer serving in Siberia with the Russian Rail Service. I had always questioned the bronze "RRS" whether that was Russian Rail Service when I saw them appeared for sale...that is, until I acquired these two images!

post-949-0-11010400-1450453328.jpg

post-949-0-13972400-1450453340.jpg post-949-0-84682000-1450453350.jpg

Here is a studio image of Air Service officer Lieutenant August Loseth. The back side of the photo has his name and a December 1918 date written on the back.

Allan

post-151-0-19537600-1450545447.jpg

Totally enjoying this thread. Excellent images being shared and I'm learning also. I was unaware of the "Russian Rail Service" something to look for.

Wounded veteran nothing flashy but have always liked this image.

post-154437-0-85130300-1450549325.jpg

Nice shot! I know EXACTLY who this veteran is :) Floyd Gibbons. Note the war correspondent brassard and the CDG. I have a similar full frontal shot of him with the same eye patch.

Damn, John...if I've heard of the RRS before, then I'm sorry to say it's slipped my memory; they're that obscure!

Just so darn rare...Thanks for the post!

Allan -

By the looks of it, your very nice aviation portrait appears to have been a 'staffer'. I'll try to run his name through my refs to see if he ever received his pilot's commission before war's end.

Umac (sorry, I don't know your name) -

Your additions to this thread have been, for lack of a better term, outstanding!

I noticed your wounded officer was decorated with a Croix de Guerre w/ palms and is also sporting a black armband, which may indicate he was on HQ staff duty at the time of this studio portrait.

- Chuck

Nice shot! I know EXACTLY who this veteran is :) Floyd Gibbons. Note the war correspondent brassard and the CDG. I have a similar full frontal shot of him with the same eye patch.

Perfect! Thanks for the ID!

Chuck, I have an autographed first edition of Gibbons' book - The Red Baron. Pretty cool! Picked it up for 1$ at a yard sale. Here's a similar unsigned copy:http://www.ebay.com/itm/1927-FIRST-EDITION-THE-RED-KNIGHT-OF-GERMANY-BARON-VON-RICHTHOFEN-FLOYD-GIBBONS-/331257536415

What?! I had no idea he was the author of that book. Gotta love those yard sale finds! A buck? Shush...

Well, Umac, your WIA officer portrait just got infinitely more interesting ?

Floyd Gibbons has an incredibly distinctive honor of being the first civilian to become an honorary member of the Marine Corps due to his courage at Belleau Wood.

"June 21, 1941, Marine Corps League State Commandant Roland L. Young gave a posthumous award of a gold medal, making Floyd an honorary member of the Marine Corps. It was the first such civilian honor ever made in the history of the Marine Corps Leauge, and was given in recogniton of Floyd's close association and valorous action while in Belleau Wood."

Floyd Gibbons has an incredibly distinctive honor of being the first civilian to become an honorary member of the Marine Corps due to his courage at Belleau Wood.

"June 21, 1941, Marine Corps League State Commandant Roland L. Young gave a posthumous award of a gold medal, making Floyd an honorary member of the Marine Corps. It was the first such civilian honor ever made in the history of the Marine Corps Leauge, and was given in recogniton of Floyd's close association and valorous action while in Belleau Wood."

?

'Umac' - Are you jotting this down?

Here's a good one! PFC Andrew H. Knebel, 18th Co./5th Marine Regiment. Shot through both eyes by a German sniper at Belleau Wood......... blinded for life.

woundedmarine086ates.jpg?w=676

Gauthieb, what a mother lode of information! Thank you very much for sharing, what a history!

Chuck, thanks to you too, and yes all the information on Floyd Gibbons is being noted!

Dave

Nothing can top Ed's images of Cukela but thought I would throw out a couple more Marine photos to keep the thread rolling...

First Leonard Hoffmann, 6th Machine Gun Bn (interesting that he is wearing a 73rd Co. patch)

LH0001 x.jpg