Show your WWI Studio Photographs

Jeffrey Magut

2ut3rxw.jpg

eamngp.jpg

This is the only one i have was just in a jumble of pictures when i found it,if you look close he has Sargent stripes.I just cant quite make out the last name on it.I bought it in NH so im assuming they mean Manchester NH .

David

Here is a portrait of Guy Emmens Barnes of Topeka, Indiana (1896-1955). According to his service record card, he enlisted in the USMC on June 10, 1918. He served overseas from September 3, 1918 to June 9, 1919, and was discharged on June 30. His card reads, “47-5th Reg 10-16-18; Repl 10-10-18; 47th Co 1-16-19. Note France with Co C 1st Mch Gun Bat).” His engagements include the Meuse-Argonne, including the crossing of the Meuse, and service in the Army of Occupation.

Jeff Patrick

It looks like a painting no ? No insignia at all.

2ut3rxw.jpg

eamngp.jpg

This is the only one i have was just in a jumble of pictures when i found it,if you look close he has Sargent stripes.I just cant quite make out the last name on it.I bought it in NH so im assuming they mean Manchester NH .

David

With a surname like Gagnon I would say it most likely will be New Hampshire, New Hampshire along with most of New England has large French Canadian populations, I knew one myself in the Army he was from Maine, French Canadians apparently are found as far South as South Western Vermont, how do I know this ? when I was in Bennington Vermont a few differant times in the 70s on vacation and one time in 1981 on leave from the Army on a Vacation with my Mom, I always noticed that instructions on public pay phones here are in both English and French, something, as a city boy from Gotham, always found fascinating.

• 1 month later...
With a surname like Gagnon I would say it most likely will be New Hampshire, New Hampshire along with most of New England has large French Canadian populations, I knew one myself in the Army he was from Maine, French Canadians apparently are found as far South as South Western Vermont, how do I know this ? when I was in Bennington Vermont a few differant times in the 70s on vacation and one time in 1981 on leave from the Army on a Vacation with my Mom, I always noticed that instructions on public pay phones here are in both English and French, something, as a city boy from Gotham, always found fascinating.

Good afternoon all,

Yes, Matthew Gagnon was musician 1st Class, in the 16th Field Artillery Band, and he was indeed from New Hampshire. He lived at 17 Hazel Street, Manchester, New Hampshire. There was another Gagnon (Joseph) in the 16th FA Band, musician 3rd Class, also from New Hamphire. Not sure if they were related though. Great photo btw!!

Rogier

gauthieb3sxz
Good afternoon all,

Yes, Matthew Gagnon was musician 1st Class, in the 16th Field Artillery Band, and he was indeed from New Hampshire. He lived at 17 Hazel Street, Manchester, New Hampshire. There was another Gagnon (Joseph) in the 16th FA Band, musician 3rd Class, also from New Hamphire. Not sure if they were related though. Great photo btw!!

Rogier

Nice research Rogier.

Also it appears that Matthew was born in St. Johnsbury, VT! Gotta' love the Vermont connection :)

Thank you for the research ,thats all cool to know.I bought this photo at a fleamarket when i was still living in NH(wish i was still there ;) )

David

• 1 month later...

William Louis Pappen of Oklahoma, 42nd Division, Branch (can't make out branch collar disc)and sub unit, unknown, but given that this Division consisted of all National Guard units, he being from Oklahoma may have been in the 167th Ambulance Company, it was this unit that came from the OKNG.

post-34986-0-61082900-1350401379.jpg

Morris County Guard May 1917. Organized, uniformed and equipped by the Morris County (NJ) Sheriff as a 'Home Guard' for defense of critical facilities against foreign saboteurs. Note the uniform variations. My Grandfather is the officer in the middle if the back row. Some of the men are wearing badges indicating they are sheriff's deputies.
PFC of the 112th Heavy Artillery at Camp McClellan, AL 1917. They would serve in France in 1918.
Dr. Ralston Reed, volunteer surgeon for the Morris County Guard 1917. Mixed civilian and military clothing.
My Great Great Uncle Eddie Higgins 112th Artillery at Camp McClellan 1917. He was a Waggoner with the unit.
My Great Uncle Vincent Higgins, 112th Artillery, Camp Dix 1917 before shipping to Camp McClellan. He served in Headquarters Battery as a clerk. He would later serve in WWII at 44 years of age as a medical technician.

post-22-0-57631600-1400613742.jpg

post-22-0-73898000-1400613744.jpg

post-22-0-33214200-1400613747.jpg

post-22-0-63579800-1400613749.jpg

post-22-0-23819300-1400613753.jpg

• 2 months later...

Here's one of my Great Uncle Carroll Hockersmith, 79th ID.

After the war he went on to be Postmaster of Shippensburg, PA and eventually PA State Game Commissioner.

His WWI Victory Medal, Purple Heart and Vernier-model Verdun Medal were donated to the Shippensburg Historical Society. The Purple Heart (for shrapnel wounds) must have been awarded after the photo. The Verdun Medal was somewhat of a mystery because he didn't arrive in France until long after the famous 1916 battle for Verdun for which the medal was originally struck. It turns out that his Division served in the area around Verdun in 1918 and about 10 years after the war, the Mayor of Verdun awarded these to everyone who defended, liberated, or preserved the freedom of the town. I can only assume that Uncle Carroll went back for the ceremony in the late '20s.

post-106351-0-21559700-1357237812.jpg

The Purple Heart Medal was instituted in 1932, so naturally he is not wearing one in the image. He probably has a gold-colored Wound Chevron on his lower right sleeve for the wound.

Salvage Sailor

Not the Great War, but soon thereafter......

Hawaiian Division Sergeant, early 1920's

Hawaiian Division Sergeant 1920's.jpg

Not so much a Studio portrait as is a informal Behind The Lines portrait.

post-34986-0-58880100-1357361705.jpg

Private Townsend C. Young

Gloucester City New Jersey

D co 3rd New Jersey Infantry, New Jersey National Guard

G co 114th Infantry, 29th Division

KIA, North of Verdun, Bois d' Dumont 22 October 1918

Here is a photo that I posted in another topic quite some time ago. There are probably a few members who have not seen it before. A large hand colored studio portrait of Private John A. Adams, 7th Regiment, United States Marine Corps. He served between 1917 and 1919 and spent much of that time stationed in Cuba. Its a large photo about 18 inches high.

post-22-0-05801900-1400613835.jpg

• 2 months later...

The Gerken Brothers, they're 1st generation German Americans from Iowa, from left to right Alphonse, Ewald und Hubert, Ewald at least I found was in the 21st Engineer Regiment.

post-34986-0-68525400-1363152219.jpg

RustyCanteen

Not the Great War, but soon thereafter......

Hawaiian Division Sergeant, early 1920's

I can't believe I missed this one, I love seeing anything related to the Hawaiian Division!

gauthieb3sxz

Albert E. Haan poses on Christmas Day 1918

I was tipped off by a Dutch friend of mine (thanks Rogier!) that his photo may be of a Dutch-American given his last name of Haan. Starting with the basic ancestry.com search of a name and hometown I was able to find a few bits of info. His name was Albert Haan and was born in 1893. I had to search a bit to find the census records for him, as they were listed under a misinterpreted/transcribed name of Hoan. Anyway it appears that Albert became an Army informant for the Veterans Association after the war. He is listed in a 1922 court case where he (and another veteran from my photo grouping) is listed as an informant. Anway, he is listed as being employed by the US Army in the 1920 Census and is shown as having a wife named Frances L and a daughter named Frances L. His daughter was only 2 months old at the time of the census. His wife appear to have been born around the turn of the century. He is listed as having been born in Holland in his earlier census entry, but mysteriously switched his place of birth to Michigan in the 1910 and 1920 census. He must’ve been able to hide his accent!

His Veterans Affairs death file lists the following: Name: Albert Haan Gender: Male Birth Date: 12 Mar 1893 Death Date: 30 Nov 1986 SSN: 234014340 Enlistment Date 1: 13 May 1910 Release Date 1: 12 Mar 1914 Enlistment Date 2: 15 Jul 1917 Release Date 2: 24 May 1920

Sounds like he served early in 1910 and was released in 1914. He likely served with the Michigan National Guard at this point. He re-enlisted in 1917 and served until may of 1920 with the Army.

He had one daughter named Frances who was born in Washington D.C. in 1920. Albert was shipped back to the States in 1919 and was busy rehabilitating at Walter Reed Hospital between 1919 and 1920. Sounds like he had at least one “special visit”. He also had a son named Carl in 1922 while living in Washington D.C.

aehaan013.jpg

post-34986-0-69005700-1363483375.jpg

Leonard P Murphy, Veterinary Corps.

And here the site I found the photo in, normally I just copy the guys name and unit, and if a casualty of the war, state it, but this site on Murphy is very interesting and needs to posted along with the photo.

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~gregkrenzelok/leonardpatrickmurhpy.html