Show your WWI Studio Photographs

Jeffrey Magut

My grandfather's brother, Wallace Borts:

Wallace_Borts.jpg

And a little souvenir he brought home:

M1911___Right_Side.jpg

My grandfather also served in WWI, but the only photo I have of him in uniform is in a sealed frame that I hesitate to try to take apart.

Steve

Yeah, I saw that image. It's from that amazing grouping on ebay with the Marine's named and numbered DSC, Navy Cross, Purple Heart, Croix de Guerre, Good Conduct, EGAs, etc., etc., basically all the medals on his chest in the photo and then some. That grouping was at about $10,000.00 last I checked. Truly an amazing attributed medal and ephemera lot.

Dan,

I knew it was not going to last long on Ebay due to the Stolen Valor issue.

I checked at 10:21 last night and Ebay had pulled it.....I' glad I copied the photos

Bill

Here is a photo of my paternal grandfather, Howard Borts. He caught the flu in the epidemic of 1918, and the war ended before he recovered or was sent overseas. At least one brother, including Wallace (pictured above) was sent overseas.

post-9-1169334099.jpg

Pvt Herman Christopher. Co C, 805th Pioneer Inf. The Honor roll listing said he fought in the Argonne Forest. This is one of my favorite photos in my collection.

post-205-1169683001.jpg

I've had this photo for years and I always wondered why he was in the Scottish uniform (Maybe Blackwatch). This photo is in my county's Honor Roll and He was born in Pleasant Hope, MO near my home town. The listing says he volunteered July 26, 1917. Served in Mine Force, Base 17, US Naval Force. Sailed for France Dec 4th, 1917.

Anyone have an idea?

post-205-1169683516.jpg

My Grandfather, Roy E. Brown, was a driver in the 337th Ambulance Company and served in the American-North Russian Expeditionary Force (ANREF). They were better known as "Polar Bears." He enlisted 3 August 1917; departed the US for England 22 July 1918; from England to the Archangle Front and served from 5 September 1918 to 15 June 1919; returned to the US 12 July 1919; and discharged 19 July 1919. Few people are aware that the ANREF was fighting the Bolsheviks (Red Russians) months after the Armistice was signed in November 1918.

This photo, part of a unit panoramic, was taken at Camp Custer, Michigan, in the winter of 1917-18.

Here is his WWI Victory Medal with the "Russia" clasp.
(BROKEN LINKS REMOVED)

All excellent photos. This is my favorite. My wife gave it to me for our 25th wedding anniversary. I do not know his name, but it appears that this US pilot flew with the French. I was told that the round badge is a French pilot's badge/wing.

post-70-1169697745.jpg

Tom: There is a first....those numbers look like company numbers normally worn on the campaign hat. I've never seen them on a uniform.....something tells me that addition is a portrait for the "family" and not to be formally worn. A very nice picture and a great find! Are there any more details with the picture...name, size of picture or photo studio?

Here's a photo postcard I purchased today at a local flea market. I suspect all 5 were overseas as all wear overseas type hats and there are other particulars about their uniforms that suggest overseas service. On the back, it shows a Pennsylvania photographer. Interestingly I think these are all brothers! On the back is written in someones handwriting: " Aunt Amandas boys First World War ".

post-60-1169935832.jpg

Hey guys. First time posting on this new forum :D

I have quite a few photos that I can contribute to this excellent thread. I've tried garnering some interest on another forum but that attempt seems to have fizzled out.

Thummbs up! to all the great images posted so far.

1) My first post will be a nice studio portrait of my favorite WWI division to collect- the 82nd! He's wearing a French style OS cap with a crossed rifles/US logo pin. Interesting variation of the 82nd Division patch.

post-518-1170371062.jpg

4) The Savage brothers. Standing left is Harrold who served with Q.M.C Supply Co. 308th Inf. and to the right is Roy R. Savage who served with Supply Co. 360th Inf.

post-518-1170371689.jpg

I've had this photo for years and I always wondered why he was in the Scottish uniform (Maybe Blackwatch). This photo is in my county's Honor Roll and He was born in Pleasant Hope, MO near my home town. The listing says he volunteered July 26, 1917. Served in Mine Force, Base 17, US Naval Force. Sailed for France Dec 4th, 1917.

Anyone have an idea?

post-205-1169683516.jpg

Just from the sporran (sp) looks like Gordon Highlanders or Seaforth maybe??

Bob

• 2 weeks later...
Guest KilroyIsHere

My great greandfather, William B. Wells, is on the right as you look at it, standing. Not sure where this was taken, all I know is it was sometime in 1918.

I really need to get this picture restored.

Austin

post-22-0-50618000-1400611344.jpg

• 1 month later...
Jeffrey Magut

Here's a trio of buddies from 17th Field Artillery Regiment in their overcoats with 2nd Division patches. Ordinarily I would refer to a WWI overcoat as a "collector's boat anchor" because of its bulk, size and lack of desirabilty, but these would be the exception.

post-121-1175876535.jpg