Unissued USMC Frogskin helmet cover ....on a helmet ........

kammo-man

craig_pickrall
I'm looking at the helmet cover in Craig's photo. It is SO big can it possibly be for something else?

Okay, all you people are going to laugh at me but... here's my question:

Is there any reason for beachmasters or control teams on the beach to need guys with the big funny looking Navy "talker" helmets? Especially in the later invasions when they were getting more sophisticated about it? Anyone ever seen any pictures of those helmets on shore on the beach?

If so, could it be possible that covers were fashioned for them? Just a dumb question, please forgive my heresy, go ahead and laugh! Jon.

You can do a search for Talker Helmet and find several threads. There have been some period photos of them in use by USMC / USN personnel ashore. I have posted a couple myself that were from arty units but I could understand them in use by any radio operator. I have never seen one with a cover though.

PLEASE NOTE: THIS COMMUNITY MEMBER, SADLY, HAS PASSED AWAY

combat-helmets

Lewis,

I have to commend you on your collection of unissued covers.

What an amazing and valuable collection you have there.

That 1/2 cotton, 1/2 HBT cover is a special one for sure! It's a rare keeper !

Actively seeking WW2, Korean War and Vietnam War era USMC items

Hi All

Here is an unissued helmet cover that is the World War two Frog-skin pattern ,this is the first model.

Now ,

Ever notice why WW2 pictures sometimes show M-1 helmets looking .........baggy ......puffy .....out of shape ?

Well here is one of mine that is un-issued in every way ...in fact it came from an un-issued bundle .

I will post more from this ........

An unissued bundle of repros more like it lol. Does not match known original pattern.

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

General Apathy
Lewis,

I have to commend you on your collection of unissued covers.

What an amazing and valuable collection you have there.

That 1/2 cotton, 1/2 HBT cover is a special one for sure! It's a rare keeper !

Hi Combat, thank you for your comments, the two piece cover I have definitely kept, I love these weird and wonderful original pieces of clothing and equipment that sometimes turn up.

lewis

Young enough to care and enjoy militaria - Old enough to remember as surplus

" Life's too short for reproductions "

Life is like a tank of gas, the closer you get to a quarter tank, the faster it goes 

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

The one sat aside by itself is particularly unusual in the photo the left hand side of the cover in cotton none HBT, the right hand side of the cover is the regular HBT, I added the label with this fact for future reference. ;)

lewis [/font]

Interesting -- I wasn't aware that USMC helmet covers were made of non-HBT cloth. Has anyone seen an example made entirely of this material?

Looking for older Virginia Military Institute items: insignia, uniforms, cadet sabers, documents, and groupings belonging to VMI alumni.

Also interested in Virginia Reserve Militia (VRM) uniforms and insignia, or other items of general Virginia interest.

Corpsmancollector
An unissued bundle of repros more like it lol. Does not match known original pattern.

Oh dear.

WWII USMC & USN - CAMOUFLAGE / CORPSMAN / PARAMARINE / MARINE RAIDER / DENIM / DECK JACKETS.

VIETNAM - CAMOUFLAGE / SF / 'IN-COUNTRY' ITEMS.

donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

Interesting -- I wasn't aware that USMC helmet covers were made of non-HBT cloth. Has anyone seen an example made entirely of this material?

I have never handled one personally but have been told there were some made of shelter half material.

RD

In Memoriam:
Lieutenant J.Kostelec 1-3 First Special Service Force MIA/PD 4 March 1944 Italy
I HAVE SEEN THE ENEMY AND IT IS DAYLIGHT
Forget about the tips..We'll get hell to pay (AC/DC)
"If you cant get out and run with the big dogs then sit on the porch and bark at the cars going by.."

Have you Hugged a Clown Today?

You Cant Get A Sun Tan On The Moon..

Corpsmancollector
I have never handled one personally but have been told there were some made of shelter half material.

RD

Ron,

Interesting theory. There was (another) USMC cover thread a while back that a number of us participated in and a photo was posted of a Marine with a flame thrower (I think) on his back and a helmet with a cover which looks very much like it's made from a poncho! Maybe it was the way the photo was taken or the cover was just very wet and creased up, but who knows. If I recall it was taken during the campaign for Iwo. I'll try and hunt it down.

WWII USMC & USN - CAMOUFLAGE / CORPSMAN / PARAMARINE / MARINE RAIDER / DENIM / DECK JACKETS.

combat-helmets

I work for a government contractor and it's very common to have varying degree of differences from manufacturer to manufacturer. Many manufacturers received contract awards for the manufacture of different items.

I have never seen or handled one before, but it does not strike me as that out of the ordinary to see something lime that 1/2 HBT, 1/2 cotton cover...I too seek out those wierd quirks in items. To me it just adds to the collectibility of the item...

And my 2 cents on the Marine with the oversized cover? Looks like something hastily thrown on in the field, like a section of shelter half or something...

P.s. I got one coming in from One of the thread posters here that I was advised came out of Lewis' lot!

Can't wait to get my hands on it :w00t:

Actively seeking WW2, Korean War and Vietnam War era USMC items

RD

I have one such cover. Not sure if it is repro or not though. Not even sure if it would be worth the effort to fake one up??

Learn to ride hard, shoot straight, dance well and so live that you can, if necessary, look any man in the eye and tell him to go to Hell! US Cavalry Manual, 1923

Ron,

Interesting theory. There was (another) USMC cover thread a while back that a number of us participated in and a photo was posted of a Marine with a flame thrower (I think) on his back and a helmet with a cover which looks very much like it's made from a poncho! Maybe it was the way the photo was taken or the cover was just very wet and creased up, but who knows. If I recall it was taken during the campaign for Iwo. I'll try and hunt it down.

Corpsman, I believe it was this one I had started, and the cover I was mentioning to Doyler...

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...p;hl=HoovieDude

Learn to ride hard, shoot straight, dance well and so live that you can, if necessary, look any man in the eye and tell him to go to Hell! US Cavalry Manual, 1923

I have one such cover. Not sure if it is repro or not though. Not even sure if it would be worth the effort to fake one up??

Hoovie

That is way cool

In Memoriam:
"If you cant get out and run with the big dogs then sit on the porch and bark at the cars going by.."

Ron,

CC

I have seen those too.If you find it Im looking forward to seeing it

In Memoriam:

Found this picture of camo covers from Tarawa.You can see the full size picture in Reynosas M1 helmet book.Looks to me like the guys cover here is a bit oversized.

post-342-1284958021.jpg

In Memoriam:

Corpsmancollector
Found this picture of camo covers from Tarawa.You can see the full size picture in Reynosas M1 helmet book.Looks to me like the guys cover here is a bit oversized.

post-342-1284958021.jpg

Definitely looks like that Marine's cover is 'hanging loose'

The photo I referred to Ron was included in the thread which Hoovie posted (and started) :thumbsup:

Ive also seen in pics marines that haphazardly put their covers on with the center seam not in the center of the helmet making it look more irregular in shape and not form fitting, i think maybe some guys just threw the cover on not caring much how it was meant to fit (unlike us collectors!!) or maybe they broke up the silhouette of the helmet better this way... :think: ...mike

Always looking for and buying 50's era 11th Airborne/ 187th ARCT/ 82nd Airborne tac mark painted jump helmets!

Thats a great picture showing the baggy cover being used .

owen

O

Not a very good picture but if you have Reynosas volume one helmet book(or can look at a copy) the picture is a bit better.It takes up two pages.Really no detail to the cover and wonder if its oversized or if its a field made type item from a shelter half??Never know but its a way cool picture.Lots of camo...

RD

In Memoriam:

Captainofthe7th

Is the cover really oversized, or have you put it on the helmet without cutting holes for the chinstraps? I imagine with the 'short flaps' when you place the cover on without cut holes for the chinstraps...it would take on this baggy appearance. I think it goes without saying that you wouldn't want cut holes into this nice unissued cover.

Rob

Exhausting & Dirty Work

Interested in buying identified or re-searchable Korean War uniforms, groupings, medals and more.

On what do you base this statement? Aside from the size, the colors, weave and pattern match both of my unissued 1st model covers. Looks like a winner to me, what looks "off" to you?

Please clarify for the benefit of all....

Ski

Captain (LDO), United States Marine Corps (Ret.)

1992-2014

6531/6591/6502/8511

donation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gif

Always looking for WWII USMC and Corpsman items!

I was under the impression that the pattern remained the same on all originals, based on other topics/posts that compared suspect covers to the ATF fake/original photo. I was wrong.

Kelly

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gif