USMC holster converted from Shoulder to Belt

shrapneldude

Picked this up tonight, and was about to put it in the "trade" heap until a closer look revealed it is a USMC Boyt marked holster. What's interesting about it is that it's a shoulder holster (M3 pattern I think) and the straps were cut off and sewn back to the back for belt loops. I think it's pretty cool. Any opinions or thoughts are welcome on it.

post-1424-1284087156.jpg

post-1424-1284087166.jpg

post-1424-1284087173.jpg

post-1424-1284087180.jpg

post-1424-1284087184.jpg

post-1424-1284087190.jpg

Picked this up tonight, and was about to put it in the "trade" heap until a closer look revealed it is a USMC Boyt marked holster. What's interesting about it is that it's a shoulder holster (M3 pattern I think) and the straps were cut off and sewn back to the back for belt loops. I think it's pretty cool. Any opinions or thoughts are welcome on it.

It was originally an M-7. You can tell by the D ring on the side. That's where the second strap of the M-7 clipped on. I also don't think the USMC ever contracted for M-3's. Nice set-up either way and could very well have been used by an aviator.

It was originally an M-7. You can tell by the D ring on the side. That's where the second strap of the M-7 clipped on. I also don't think the USMC ever contracted for M-3's. Nice set-up either way and could very well have been used by an aviator.

Correct -- In further researching, I found this same information...the USMC holster like this was called M7.

Anyhow, it is a very interesting and neat item. Unless I can be sure it wasn't USMC used, it will stay here.

Dan, nice find. I have one like that myself that came from an AAC guy. I can't remember where I saw it but there is a photo somewhere of an AAC guy wearing one on his belt that is done like this. If I remember correctly, in the photo he is wearing it on his trouser belt.

Correct -- In further researching, I found this same information...the USMC holster like this was called M7.

Anyhow, it is a very interesting and neat item. Unless I can be sure it wasn't USMC used, it will stay here.

Jon (Cobrahistorian) just pointed something out to me in a PM: both the M3 and M7 had the D ring on the side, so this could have been either one. My mistake on that one, I just plain forgot.

Jon (Cobrahistorian) just pointed something out to me in a PM: both the M3 and M7 had the D ring on the side, so this could have been either one. My mistake on that one, I just plain forgot.

Looks like we're both mistaken then! Somewhere on this forum I found the "m7" nomenclature for a USMC shoulder holster. :thumbsup:

Looks like we're both mistaken then! Somewhere on this forum I found the "m7" nomenclature for a USMC shoulder holster. :thumbsup:

They are actually both Army designs that the USMC contracted for. The M3 is the earlier design with just a single shoulder strap. The M7 added a second strap that goes around the body of the wearer under the arm.

That's why I don't get into "collector speak." We can all agree it's a shoulder holster that has been converted into a belt holster, and that it's marked USMC. The "m#" doesn't really change whether the thing is neat looking or not.

That's why I don't get into "collector speak." We can all agree it's a shoulder holster that has been converted into a belt holster, and that it's marked USMC. The "m#" doesn't really change whether the thing is neat looking or not.

Yes, you're right, what we call it doesn't effect how well you like it or if you want to keep it or not. However, in this case the model numbers I'm using aren't "collector speak", they are the actual designations used by the Army and Marine Corps. I actually can't stand "collector speak" and every time I read "M1938 field jacket" or "fixed bail/bail/baille/whatever helmet" it's like nails on a chalkboard. Some of us just like trying to figure these things out, but either way, it's a nice modified holster.

Cobrahistorian
Yes, you're right, what we call it doesn't effect how well you like it or if you want to keep it or not. However, in this case the model numbers I'm using aren't "collector speak", they are the actual designations used by the Army and Marine Corps. I actually can't stand "collector speak" and every time I read "M1938 field jacket" or "fixed bail/bail/baille/whatever helmet" it's like nails on a chalkboard. Some of us just like trying to figure these things out, but either way, it's a nice modified holster.

I agree with both of you guys! It is an awesome field-modded piece!

Very cool pick up Shrap! :thumbsup: I suppose that someone (rightfully so) thought that an extra pistol couldn't hurt anything.....at least where he was going! :unsure:

I like it a lot....gonna research the name on the belt? Did you say the rig came together like this....can't remember? TGIF! :pinch:

Very cool pick up Shrap! :thumbsup: I suppose that someone (rightfully so) thought that an extra pistol couldn't hurt anything.....at least where he was going! :unsure:

I like it a lot....gonna research the name on the belt? Did you say the rig came together like this....can't remember? TGIF! :pinch:

Hey!

Yep, the holster was on the belt when I got it. Not sure if the name will check out to a Marine or not, but will try to research it as far as I can. Definitely a good excuse to try and get another 1911 to stick in the holster. haha