1921 Meyer Observer Qualified Pilot

Paul S

This one brought $965 with 4-bidders over $700. What do you guys think of it?

Most of the wing badges I've seen offered by that particular seller have been at best... questionable :dry::however, this badge is an exception. -_-

There are several things working for that 1920 Observer, also qualified as pilot, badge. After being struck, the perimeter or edge around the badge came out crisp and uniform in shape. The very small STERLING backmark and the smaller than normally seen Meyer hallmark are correct for all legitimate wing badges produced by Meyer in the 1920s. The placement of those marks is another good point to make. Then there is the "hook-under, then lock" device found on the back of the badge. That type device was also used in the 1920s (do not confuse it with a 1910-1918 style lever-lock device often found on many Army & Navy wings in 1918. It had a "V" shaped lever that pivots at the base of the "V").

Yep, I liked it.

Cliff

PS: Just in case you should ever see a World War 1 wing badge with a "hook-under locking device like the one on that 1920 Observer badge, that WW1 badge is suspect.

This badge looks great, for all of the above points.

I was watching it but did not bid.

It really should have gone for a lot more.

My opinion,

John