Military foot lockers footlockers

Guest brcampbe

Guest brcampbe

This is my first piece of non-family militaria I've received:

I was bored yesterday and decided to go to a local thrift store for a browse. What I found amazed me. There was a footlocker in the corner with all of the furniture, and on the front of it I immediately noticed a big 1st US Army logo. On closer inspection I read the guy's name, "Capt. K. L. Atwood" and his address in Buffalo, NY. And finally, which I found to be the most interesting aspect, was that the entire top of the trunk was covered in 3 cent "win the war" stamps and a shipping label from France to NY. The man who owned this trunk went through much trouble to take care of the chest, because he clear coated over the entire trunk, stamps and all, thus preserving them. The shelf inside was even intact and in good shape.

This particular thrift store overcharges on everything, so it's no surprise they were asking $200 for it. I talked them down to $50 and bought it. I am going to take a picture of this thing in the next few days so everyone else can see it. I just commissioned into the Army myself, so it's nice to have something I know another junior officer brought with him through one of the largest Army campaigns in US history. The guy painted over his regiment affiliation in order to write his address in Buffalo for the shippers, but I think this aspect is more interesting since you can tell it made it home from France, and meant alot to this guy.

Pictures to come soon.

Pretty cool stuff BR, and welcome to the forums! :) I can't wait to see pictures of the footlocker, sounds really nice.

Also, congrats on owning your first official piece of militaria, let me tell you it's a VERY addicting hobby, borderling mental illness. ;)

I also own a footlocker that I picked up at a antique mall for $25, it was priced at $50 originally. It is from S D. Gibson in the 3rd Army Air Forces. It has the logo for the 3rd Air Corps along with his name stenciled on it. I am really fond of it and it has grown on me very much.

I have tried to find information about him and his military career but had no luck. I would be really happy if some one could help me out on this.

- Jeff thumbsup.gif

post-1090-1186781490.jpg

post-1090-1186781506.jpg

post-1090-1186781526.jpg

post-1090-1186781575.jpg

post-1090-1186781588.jpg

post-1090-1186781614.jpg

Thats a really nice WWI footlocker Tex. I wonder if anyone else here has any footlockers? I really like to look at footlockers, some are really cool. :)

craig_pickrall

This is the only footlocker I have taken pics of. It is USAAF. The owner went to Gunner School and also graduated from Bombardier School.

post-5-1187105881.jpg

post-5-1187105901.jpg

post-5-1187105913.jpg

• 1 year later...

I've been waiting for someone to start this thread! Heres a couple of mine...This one clearly has stenciling and another diamond insignia on the other side as well as on the top and front under the paint..haven't taken the time to uncover it though.

post-4199-1226681213.jpg

A fellow Michigander! Oh boy, I want this one!!! thumbsup.gif

Actually I'd love to find a good home for it: I rescued it from a thrift store only because I did not want it it to end up getting repainted or torn up by someone who would not appreciate the markings and history.

• 3 months later...

I just found this thread and thought I would add one of mine. It's not strictly military but CCC from an encampment in Oregon. How it ended up in Texas should be an interesting story.

post-2527-1236218561.jpg

My dad came through WW2 without a trunk but we still have his CCC trunk. And its full of little banner stickers with city names.

I just found this thread and thought I would add one of mine. It's not strictly military but CCC from an encampment in Oregon. How it ended up in Texas should be an interesting story.

post-2527-1236218561.jpg

Here's a few of mine. First up are three from the 37th, top 2 are WW1, bottom one is from the 20's-30's, the Dentist for the 166th Infantry. Incidentlly, the uniform on top is my wife's grandfathers uniform. He fought in WW1 with the 8th Cheshire's at Gallipoli! (yes I know it's British)

post-729-1236221783.jpg

Last one. Not marked all up in color or anything, but... this belonged to Major General Robert S. Beightler, Commanding General of the 37th Division in WW2. Gen. Beightler was the only National Guard commander to keep his division throughout the entire war.

post-729-1236222134.jpg