Military foot lockers footlockers

Guest brcampbe

Have you been able to find any info about LT. Bride? Thanks,

Bryan

Yes have all of his general info. The green books for the Ohio soldiers and sailors are a great set and lists every one that joined in Ohio. Name, rank, ser. #, age, place of birth, unit served with, all promotions/demotions...

• 1 year later...

I just found this post and I have two to add. The first belonged to some one who was like family to me. He was in the 129th Infantry Regiment 44th Division between WWII and Korea. The second came from a aviation cadet that was in when WWII ended.

post-6705-1287205766.jpg

post-6705-1287206104.jpg

post-6705-1287206327.jpg

• 1 year later...
This appears to be something done by a sailor, perhaps a CB since this kind of trunk would not have been used by someone serving aboard ships:

cushtrunkoki.jpg

A forum member asked a question today about the measurements for footlockers so in trying to find an answer I cam across this thread and pictures of a trunk I'd had sitting around for quite a while. I had speculated it might have belong to a Navy SeaBee , but a search four years showed nothing. Now though ancestry.com has the WWII Navy muster rolls and I found this sailor ID'ed as a SeaBee and aboard an LST:

Jan45rosterSM.jpg

May48rosterSM.jpg

A search for info on LST-880 showed that it carried a Construction Battalion, and that unit's (98th Construction Battalion) movements accounted for the place names on the footlocker.

World War II, 1945

After shakedown off the Florida coast, LST-880 departed New Orleans for Hawaii on 13 February. Steaming via the Panama Canal and the west coast, she reached Pearl Harbor on 31 March. During the next six weeks she participated in training operations with Seabees before departing Pearl Harbor for the western Pacific on 24 May. Carrying men and equipment of the 98th Construction Battalion, she sailed via the Marshalls and Marianas to Okinawa where she arrived on 4 July. There she discharged men and cargo; and, after embarking combat veterans, she sailed for the Marianas on 10 July. Steaming via Guam, she reached Saipan the 19th. LST-880 sailed for the Solomon Islands on 27 July. Arriving Russell Island on 7 August, she operated among the Solomons during the final week of fighting in the Pacific.

It's nice when those clues on an old trunk can finally reveal its history.

• 4 months later...
American Heritage

Saw this one in an antique mall recently...don't know anything about it other than the name on it. There were no other marks on it or inside that I could see.

post-10864-1341173177.jpg

• 1 month later...

I was needing new places for my "stuff" and am looking at a footlocker that I picked up last year at an estate sale. Has only the name Lt. Charleton Philips on along with what appears to be a serial number of some sort. Don't have the number it is in the shop yet. Not in too bad shape and was going to re-do it but the wifey said just leave it as is, so I am going to do just that with the exception of buffing it lightly to get the rust off the metal then apply a clear coat to protect it and make it easier to clean. Paint is still pretty good considering. Inside is good too but may put some cedar in it to control the moths, no moth ball odors in the bedroom.

Good thread, got some idea on what it is suppposed to look like

Claymore

• 1 year later...

I was going to start a thread asking others to post their footlockers and how they've incorporated them into their displays. Not surprisingly, one was already started!

In any case, here is a footlocker I picked up yesterday at an antique market. Named to PFC George J Brower. Early Muster Rolls have him listed as an Aviation Mechanic during WWII in Aviation Engineer Squadron 14.

It's currently airing out however will be added to the display shortly.

post-29885-0-91003100-1407163308.jpg

post-29885-0-69943900-1407163314.jpg

No exceptional art work, but this came from the estate of Gen Roy S. Geiger's daughter.

Gen Geiger was Marine Aviator #5, the CO of the Cactus Air Force on Guadalcanal, and for a period of time in charge of the entire Okinawa Campaign. He passed away shortly after the end of WWII, but not befor he helped plant the seed for the Marine Corps helicopter program.

post-5056-0-46038300-1407169466.jpg

post-5056-0-70583700-1407169570.jpg

I bought this WWII dated footlocker from a fellow coach on my sons baseball team many moons ago. The name on the top is Gilbert. Floyd. L (obscured last name) with his serial number 38284215. It is marked inside MONARCH SCREEN & MFG. CO. C. Q. D NO. G1B 1943. I am not sure of the details of it's use, barracks or other. It is not nearly as reinforced as the other footlockers in this topic, but it is still in excellent solid shape. I use it to hold items that I am preparing to sell in the future.

post-299-0-88137200-1407280911.jpg

post-299-0-11499900-1407280924.jpg

post-299-0-95504600-1407280950.jpg