Women's Relief Corps Membership badges

KevinBeyer

Hello, All,

The Women's Relief Corps (WRC) was the official auxiliary to the Grand Army of the Republic (GAR). The WRC "is a patriotic organization whose express purpose is to perpetuate the memory of the Grand Army of the Republic, as [they] are their auxiliary organized at their request on July 25 and 26, 1883 in Denver, Colorado, and incorporated by Public Act of the 87th Congress on September 7, 1962." The WRC had to legally fight in court to be the official auxiliary of the GAR. The Ladies of the GAR were a rival for that title, but their claim was disavowed in the courts.

Below is a WRC membership badge showing 60 years of service.

WRCMembershipBadge60Years.jpg

Does anyone have examples of the standard issue membership or Officer badges?

Kevin

Kevin & Chris,

Here is an interesting WRC badge for a Musician. I don't know the significance of the blue ribbon though. Is this similar to the GAR where colors designate the level of the unit by chance?

WRC_badge.JPG

View of the back of the badge.

WRC_badge_back.JPG

SARGE,

I have the exact same badge, for musician. I am trying to figure out what is wrong with my camera, or I would have posted by now. lol.

Chris

• 1 month later...
Hello, All,

The Women's Relief Corps (WRC) was the official auxiliary to the Grand Army of the Republic (GAR). The WRC "is a patriotic organization whose express purpose is to perpetuate the memory of the Grand Army of the Republic, as [they] are their auxiliary organized at their request on July 25 and 26, 1883 in Denver, Colorado, and incorporated by Public Act of the 87th Congress on September 7, 1962." The WRC had to legally fight in court to be the official auxiliary of the GAR. The Ladies of the GAR were a rival for that title, but their claim was disavowed in the courts.

Below is a WRC membership badge showing 60 years of service.

post-276-1186770306.jpg

Does anyone have examples of the standard issue membership or Officer badges?

Kevin

I ran across this small lapel button i believe may be WRC related. Can anyone confirm/deny? TOM

post-1604-1190763678.jpg

I ran across this small lapel button i believe may be WRC related. Can anyone confirm/deny? TOM

Tom,

This is a Womens Relief Corp (WRC) pin. FCL stands for Fraterity, Charity, and Loyalty.

Kevin

Tom,

This is a Womens Relief Corp (WRC) pin. FCL stands for Fraterity, Charity, and Loyalty.

Kevin

AH, thanks, another riddle solved. Any idea of the period of use?

AH, thanks, another riddle solved. Any idea of the period of use?

Can you provide a picture of the back? The clasps on these pins sometimes tell more than the fronts.

Kevin

as requested,

With an open catch like that, I would think that this pin dates from around the turn of the century. My guess would be from 1890-1920. Somewhere around there. I think pins like this were used up until the 1950s. After that, they seemed to have fallen out of favor.

Regarding value, though, with WRC pins like these, I don't think the age matters as much as simple eye appeal. I've seen them sell for pennies and I've seen them sell for triple of what I consider fair market price. It all depends on who's wants what when. Some of these pins are rather attractive. Others,... not so much. I think this one is a nice one.

Kevin

With an open catch like that, I would think that this pin dates from around the turn of the century. My guess would be from 1890-1920. Somewhere around there. I think pins like this were used up until the 1950s. After that, they seemed to have fallen out of favor.

Regarding value, though, with WRC pins like these, I don't think the age matters as much as simple eye appeal. I've seen them sell for pennies and I've seen them sell for triple of what I consider fair market price. It all depends on who's wants what when. Some of these pins are rather attractive. Others,... not so much. I think this one is a nice one.

Kevin

thanks, I think it has remained in real good condition considering it's age. It came with a bunch of WWII patches, clearly out of place. But a welcome addition. thanks agian for all the info