"Berlin Crisis" device on ribbon

Claudius

Greeting All:

I'm new to your forum, but I have come seeking enlightenment.

The long story: I was visiting a friend this past weekend and he had the memorabilia from his grandfather. A career soldier, army or Calvary I can't be sure. A WWII vet., apparently served in Guam and retired a full Colonel. Had a couple of his loose medals, but from the ribbon bar he had it was apparent he did not have all of his medals (even the WWII Victory was missing). But what caught my eye in the very few moments I had with them is that one of the ribbons, one that I didn't recognize, had a tiny metal device on it or an appurtenance. It looked like a little scroll with the words "Berlin Crisis". The ribbon was clearly NOT the Occupation of Germany medal and for that matter, if it was the Berlin airlift, it would have been a tiny airplane device.

I have done some searching, but I can't find any US medal that had a "Berlin Crisis" device. :think: Does anyone know this medal? Which Berlin crisis was it? What was the criteria to earn it.

Thank you for any direction that you can offer.

Medal for Humane Action Medal.

(The European occupation Medal with a small airplane device is what you are no doubt thinking of.)

Awarded to service members performing more than 120 days of duty within the geographical boundary of Berlin, Germany, with such duty being in support of the Berlin Airlift between the dates of June 26, 1948 and September 30, 1949. Those so qualifying were also eligible for either the Army of Occupation Medal, or the Navy Occupation Service Medal, and both medals were authorized for simultaneous award and display.

post-8213-1283911635.jpg post-8213-1283912507.jpg post-8213-1283912527.jpg

Hmmm....I'm wondering if it was something else. There was another 'Berlin Crises'...we very nearly went to war when the East Germans began building what would become "The Berlin Wall", in 1961 (?) or thereabouts. I'm thinking this could be something made for that, rather than the Airlift.

And, I'd say it's not 'official'. Worth asking your friend if his grandfather served in Berlin in the very early '60's. Of course, a photo would be MOST helpful in ID'ing this piece.

"Berlin Crisis" was used on bars for a couple of National Guard awards, where Air National Guard units were mobilized for service in Germany. I'll see if I can dig out something when I get home.