Navy/Marine Patch help

bedfordboyhite

bedfordboyhite

Hey all... I recently picked up some Navy and Marine patches in a WWII lot. It was mostly Army and Army Air Corps patches, which is what I wanted. I really only collect WWII time period patches (or shortly thereafter) and I have to admit - as much as I've studied and i know what I'm looking for and how to distinguish Army, I am absolutely ignorant on all things Navy or Marine unless it has to do with field gear. These were labeled as WWII, but I don't know about them.

The Marine S/Sgt Stripes and single Sgt patch all have very stiff backs. Nothing like modern glue-back patches, but still very stiff. But I don't know if that's how they're supposed to be.

On the Navy patches, I could believe these are WWII because they're just cotton backing with embroidered stripes and symbols, but every navy patch i see from WWII seems to be dark background with white and red markings. So i have no idea about them either. Could anyone shed some light on my ignorance here with these pictures? Are they WWII patches, and if so, what uniform were the Navy ones designed with use for? Thanks, just looking to get some answers as to the patch mysteries.

post-14781-1283909564.jpg

Ok, so the Navy ones are modern too?

Depends on what you want to refer to as "Modern". They are from the late '40s (post '48) to the mid '50s. About '55, the Navy went to making just PO1 rates below CPO and you cut off what you didn't need.

Steve Hesson

bedfordboyhite

Well I guess I shouldn't say modern. What I mean then is, the Navy Patches are Post WWII. I really only zero in on collecting items from WWII and before. That's all I was making sure of. Thanks for the input.

Depends on what you want to refer to as "Modern". They are from the late '40s (post '48) to the mid '50s. About '55, the Navy went to making just PO1 rates below CPO and you cut off what you didn't need.

Steve Hesson