Pre World War II Navy Landing Parties

m1a2u2

What Items were issues to pre world war II sailors who were put ashore. I've seen these pictures from Veracruz, Mexico in 1914. Would these be regualr army M1910 packs or would they be marked for the Navy?

post-376-1272734499.jpg

post-8903-1283288408.jpg

I have a 1914 Blue Jackets Manual with detailed photos of how to assemble all that 1910 gear for landing party operations, with the 1903 Springfield and the Colt .45 auto. Every thing in the photos, including those that show it properly worn by a GM3/c have standard markings and it all is (as far as you can tell in black and white photos) the same color as that issued to the Army.

Steve Hesson

I have a 1914 Blue Jackets Manual with detailed photos of how to assemble all that 1910 gear for landing party operations, with the 1903 Springfield and the Colt .45 auto. Every thing in the photos, including those that show it properly worn by a GM3/c have standard markings and it all is (as far as you can tell in black and white photos) the same color as that issued to the Army.

Steve Hesson

Awesome, would you have those pics scanned by any chance? :rolleyes:

PS, anyone know what belt those sailors are wearing?

Have any of you ever watched the movie the sand pebbles with Steve McQueen set in china about a US Navy gun boat about the time of the boxer rebellion they are pretty right on with the uniforms the landing party would of used plus it's a good movie they even used a BAR in the movie.I use to know a china sailor they would spend there whole time in china until WW2 when I worked for the School dist after I got out of active duty he still had his whites with the blue piping did not keep in touch after I got a better job he is probably gone now he was pretty old when I worked with him.

Have any of you ever watched the movie the sand pebbles with Steve McQueen set in china about a US Navy gun boat about the time of the boxer rebellion they are pretty right on with the uniforms the landing party would of used plus it's a good movie they even used a BAR in the movie.I use to know a china sailor they would spend there whole time in china until WW2 when I worked for the School dist after I got out of active duty he still had his whites with the blue piping did not keep in touch after I got a better job he is probably gone now he was pretty old when I worked with him.

The Sand Pebbles is a great movie and yes, the US Navy uniforms & gear in it are very good. The film is set in China in 1927. Actually, the Boxer rebellion was in 1900. In the film they do use a few M1942 first aid kits and other WWII era gear which isn’t correct for the late 1920’s but that’s very minor compared to the overall greatness of the movie. By the way the uniforms & equipment used by US Navy landing parties from the 1920’s until WWII is covered in detail in one of the books I wrote “U.S. Naval Amphibious Forces”. Here is a link to some pics.

http://www.schifferbooks.com/newschiffer/s...isbn=0764326219

Actually River, the uniforms in the Sand Pebles are completely in correct for the time protrayed. The movie is set in 1926. At theat time the Navy was still wearing the same uniforms they wore in WW 1. The uniforms worn in the movie werethose adopted in 1933 (with the exception of the CPO and Officers hats). Additionally the rates worn are all post 1940. Also, the whites did not have blue piping. They had blue collars and cuffs with white piping. The blue piping worn on white cuffs and collars was only used from 1871 to 1875 when it was returned to blye cuffs and collars with white piping and of course now in a new uniform change since for some reason people seem the think that the dress whites were a photo negative of the blues.

But, beyond that, the movie is fantastic. I have read the book (even better,several times, and had all my guys read it. It actually got passed around the ship and the next time I saw it several months later, the covers were gone and most of the crew had read it (even the snipes). I have the movie and my father (an old China Sailor) sit and watch it every now and then and he tells stories of his days in the China Fleet.

Steve Hesson

Actually River, the uniforms in the Sand Pebles are completely in correct for the time protrayed. The movie is set in 1926. At theat time the Navy was still wearing the same uniforms they wore in WW 1. The uniforms worn in the movie werethose adopted in 1933 (with the exception of the CPO and Officers hats). Additionally the rates worn are all post 1940. Also, the whites did not have blue piping. They had blue collars and cuffs with white piping. The blue piping worn on white cuffs and collars was only used from 1871 to 1875 when it was returned to blye cuffs and collars with white piping and of course now in a new uniform change since for some reason people seem the think that the dress whites were a photo negative of the blues.

But, beyond that, the movie is fantastic. I have read the book (even better,several times, and had all my guys read it. It actually got passed around the ship and the next time I saw it several months later, the covers were gone and most of the crew had read it (even the snipes). I have the movie and my father (an old China Sailor) sit and watch it every now and then and he tells stories of his days in the China Fleet.

Steve Hesson

I finished the book last week. I re-read the ending three times in a row. I didn't know if I was happy or sad for Holman. I had a craving for Chinese food throughout reading the book. Now if I can find an authentic dish of rice with pork pices in a gingery sauce :)

I finished the book last week. I re-read the ending three times in a row. I didn't know if I was happy or sad for Holman. I had a craving for Chinese food throughout reading the book. Now if I can find an authentic dish of rice with pork pices in a gingery sauce :)

The first time I read it I was on a Carrier in West Pac. Hong Kong, Singapore, places like that. The second time Was on a ship home ported in Japan. I actually picked the book up in Hong Kong in paper back. That was the one that got the covers lost and pretty beat up. They guys got me a really nice hard back from Naval Instatute Press which my sister seems to have made off with. I have another copy now. Yeah, the ending is pretty sad.

Steve Hesson