P.O.W. camp found in garden!

Hitman_one

If he's not careful, he'll have his yard roped off and a hundred researchers digging around.

Then someone on our forum will organizes a dig, and he's really in trouble !! :w00t:

Great story! A few weeks ago someone posted a video-clip of an interview with this guy. Amazing discoveries seemingly forgotten about within a generation.

Sabrejet

There is a development in my town, that on the property was a POW camp and a Radar installation. now its rich peoples homes and a golf course.

• 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

I was surveying Google Maps images for old Coast Artillery fort locations. I forget exactly where this was... I want to say in the Carolinas, but I found where a pair of luxury sea front homes had been built on top of the former casements! I suppose they'd be very solid in a storm.

Finding a POW camp in your backyard is better than finding a WWII ammo dump.

My cousins lived outside of Wilmington, Delaware, a state that is dominated by the manufacturer DuPont.

DuPont made their original family fortune by manufacturing gunpowder for the American Army during the Revolution. (A risky business in many respects!)

Anyway... my cousins were playing in the back yard one day and one of them saw something shiny in the dirt. They dug it out and took it to Mom and Dad inside the house. It turned out to be a live, fused anti aircraft shell! Local authorities were called and out came the backhoes. The area used to be a back lot for a munitions plant and apparently this was one of several defective rounds that was disposed of by burial. Trouble is the shifting soil brought them back up closer to the surface.

All ended well, but a scary moment for all concerned.