Fake Vietnam insignia

wartimecollectables.com

That's what I was thinking. Most are ones I picked up in the 80s, so luckily not a whole lot invested. I like to go through and thin out the fakes.
Appreciate it Bob

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, vintageproductions said:

Ernie- Not a fan of any of these. Bob

I second the vote.  But you have some classics here. Patches from the 80's are now old enough that people think they are from the wartime period.

I second the vote.  But you have some classics here. Patches from the 80's are now old enough that people think they are from the wartime period.

Not a whole lot if reference books back then on Vietnam insignia, it was a minefield.
Seems like they made better copies back then than they do now.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Many thanks Gil & all the other contributors to this fascinating & useful thread(I have spent a couple of hours reading it from start to finish). I am very new to Vietnam Patches............ 3 days to be precise! To me at the moment they all look good......or bad! I am finding it hard to find original examples to compare with those I have. So for example the RECON RT KENTUCKY & the RECON RT NEW MEXICO ones on page 6 look like mine from the front but the backs seems different but that does not make them original. So I think mine are dud because the backs are dirtier than the fronts & there is no evidence that they were ever sewn to anything. Here they are front & rear. Any thoughts please?

IMG_0175.JPG

IMG_0176.JPG

IMG_0177.JPG

IMG_0178.JPG

• 6 months later...
BeckettM101

A buddy of mine has this patch that he got and people keep saying it's fake, and I was wondering if I could get your thoughts on it. He said he got it from a Vietnam Vet who has been collecting for a long time, but he doesn't know if the patch belonged to the guy himself. The wear without stitches from being on anything is somewhat throwing me off. The things I think may be wrong are; the wear on it, no stitches and shouldn't the eyes be more slanted but I don't know much about the actual stitch patterns and construction . just thought that I could post it on here with people who have lot of experience in fakes. Its a Forward Operating base - 1 patch.

FullSizeR (2).jpg

FullSizeR (1).jpg

I agree with Jakob ... classic example of the reproductions that have been coming out of Vietnam in recent years.  Even vets make mistakes.

otter42

Almost passed on this one when I first looked at the front. But the back looked Japanese made. What are your thoughts? Thanks Ken 

20210417_115049.jpg

20210417_115057.jpg

otter42

Thanks Bob! What is the shiny stuff on the back caused from? Looks like a slug ran over it...

• 2 months later...

It's not easy to keep up with everything that is new on this subject, but this caught my eye on a Facebook group dedicated to Vietnam militaria. 

If you stick around long enough, things tend to repeat.  It seems that about every 10 years or so someone gets the idea to make printed copies of ARVN printed style patches.

Usually the quality of the material is a give away, or the density of the ink.  I am guessing these are being made for reenactors. 

I have not seen these in person as yet. These appear to be coming from Korea.  I doubt these will be too widespread as the seller wants $99 per sheet!

I pointed out that you can buy recently manufactured Bevo (silk woven) reproductions of most of these items for $10 each, so the price seems to be a bit

high.

Fake Print 1.jpg

Fake Print 2.jpg

On 4/17/2021 at 6:12 PM, otter42 said:

Thanks Bob! What is the shiny stuff on the back caused from? Looks like a slug ran over it...

Rice glue was spread on the backs to help the patch retain its shape. Though after multiple washings it usually wore off. After which some of these Japan made ones assumed some very unique geometric shapes!

randy

• 2 months later...

Here's a nice selection of recently manufactured patches coming out of Vietnam using large loom computer controlled looms.

I haven't had a chance to cover these in depth on this thread, but these examples speak for themselves.