MY uncle in the military.

sgt ron

my uncle was in the ARMY in 1938 or 1939. this is some of what we know about him. he was in china when the war broke out in 1941. when the war started he resigned from the army and joined the marines the next day. he had flown some in china and the marines made him an enlisted pilot. he fought in the pacific as a fighter pilot.

he was sent back to china to do some training as an enlisted man for a few months. the china officers would not talk to him because he was inlisted, so the marines commisioned him as a temp. 1st lt.

he then went back to the pacific as an enlisted pilot. after the war he flew cargo planes until korea started and they sent him to korea to fly cargo planes making air drops. after korea he was one of the last enlisted pilot left. around 1954 or 55 he stopped flying.

he then went into another marine job. not sure what is was yet.

when vietnam started he was sent to vietnam and spent several years there.

he retired as a E-9 with 33+ years of service. he was involved in several smaller conflicts during his career.

i am going to start doing a research on him very soon. any corrections and new information to follow.

he died last year and all of his military stuff is being sorted and will be given to me ( except for his medals, one of his son's wants them.). he kept stuff from the beginnig of his military career. he was buried in his dress blues, but i was told the were 2 more complete sets. i am looking forward to see what is in all the boxes. i am supposed to get some of it in the next few weeks. later i will be going to his home with a truck and picking up several of his military foot lockers. some that have been locked for 60+ years. he was a keeper of his military stuff

this is going to be exciting. i will post pictures when i can

ron

Wow Ron- sounds like you will have Christmas early...then have it again....and then again...

Congrats! I look forward to what you turn up in those trunks!

Steve

• 4 weeks later...
Brian Dentino
my uncle was in the ARMY in 1938 or 1939. this is some of what we know about him. he was in china when the war broke out in 1941. when the war started he resigned from the army and joined the marines the next day. he had flown some in china and the marines made him an enlisted pilot. he fought in the pacific as a fighter pilot.

he was sent back to china to do some training as an enlisted man for a few months. the china officers would not talk to him because he was inlisted, so the marines commisioned him as a temp. 1st lt.

he then went back to the pacific as an enlisted pilot. after the war he flew cargo planes until korea started and they sent him to korea to fly cargo planes making air drops. after korea he was one of the last enlisted pilot left. around 1954 or 55 he stopped flying.

he then went into another marine job. not sure what is was yet.

when vietnam started he was sent to vietnam and spent several years there.

he retired as a E-9 with 33+ years of service. he was involved in several smaller conflicts during his career.

i am going to start doing a research on him very soon. any corrections and new information to follow.

he died last year and all of his military stuff is being sorted and will be given to me ( except for his medals, one of his son's wants them.). he kept stuff from the beginnig of his military career. he was buried in his dress blues, but i was told the were 2 more complete sets. i am looking forward to see what is in all the boxes. i am supposed to get some of it in the next few weeks. later i will be going to his home with a truck and picking up several of his military foot lockers. some that have been locked for 60+ years. he was a keeper of his military stuff

this is going to be exciting. i will post pictures when i can

ron

Can't wait to see what you end up with Ron! Sounds great, and can't beat getting a hold of stuff from your own family! Keep us posted...... ;)