WASP 9 cylinder plane engine model Ideas welcome

vette

Hello avitation geeks. Do we have anyone that knows anything about unusual Naval planes of pre WW2 or period? These just came in today. These had come from an estate near Dayton Ohio. The seller is related to an Edward Deeds whom supposedly had worked for a machine shop for an airplane maker. I am trying to get more information from the seller. The engine model is made of hand carved wood and dated on back P W 1925. There also is more writng that I cannot decypher. The plane looks like a prototype of a possible Naval fighter plane from the 30's. The engine propeller is identical shape and pitch as the model plane also all made of wood. There are some small holes in the wings and fusealge for lacing some cotton fishing line possible for hanging in a room for display. Both carved pieces are done very nice and shows the age. Thanks, Bill

post-8222-1283738603.jpg

Hello avitation geeks. Do we have anyone that knows anything about unusual Naval planes of pre WW2 or period? These just came in today. These had come from an estate near Dayton Ohio. The seller is related to an Edward Deeds whom supposedly had worked for a machine shop for an airplane maker. I am trying to get more information from the seller. The engine model is made of hand carved wood and dated on back P W 1925. There also is more writng that I cannot decypher. The plane looks like a prototype of a possible Naval fighter plane from the 30's. The engine propeller is identical shape and pitch as the model plane also all made of wood. There are some small holes in the wings and fusealge for lacing some cotton fishing line possible for hanging in a room for display. Both carved pieces are done very nice and shows the age. Thanks, Bill

post-8222-1283738653.jpg

post-8222-1283738706.jpg

post-8222-1283738775.jpg

post-8222-1283738813.jpg

post-8222-1283738889.jpg

HI,

the plane is a Gee Bee racer from the 1930s and was never considered as a military prototype (although it was rather famously flown by Jimmy Doolittle). The aircraft engine looks like half of a set of book ends for a plane crazy youngster who probably ended up in the USAAF during the war.

Tom Bowers

HI,

the plane is a Gee Bee racer from the 1930s and was never considered as a military prototype (although it was rather famously flown by Jimmy Doolittle). The aircraft engine looks like half of a set of book ends for a plane crazy youngster who probably ended up in the USAAF during the war.

Tom Bowers

Tom, you are right about it is a copy of the Doolittle Gee Bee racer. Didn't take long to find it on google once you had mentioned the name of it. I had searched for a couple of hours trying to find a plane similar where the cockpit sits back near the stabelizer. It also could be exactly what you have said about who had made it. It is still possible with some hard research to find out how they had made prototype engines and planes back then. These are done very professional considering they were made before the war. I wouldn't think that any WW2 pilot would make a model of the engine. It is kind of neat to have an early model of the racer. Thanks

Johnny Signor

The model would have been made by the company which I beleive was the Granville Brothers , if you've ever seen the movie "Rocketeer" they have one or two in that movie , great film to watch about them , anyway, the companies even back them had modellers who were pros at building them for wimdtunnels etc and for models to market thier planes and this is most likely what you have ,one that was given to a person that "actually" bought a real Gee Bee, there were quite a few variants of the Gee Bee too !

They were very dangerous to fly and some crashed killing thier pilots but Doolittle loved them and flew them in racing !

The model would have been made by the company which I beleive was the Granville Brothers , if you've ever seen the movie "Rocketeer" they have one or two in that movie , great film to watch about them , anyway, the companies even back them had modellers who were pros at building them for wimdtunnels etc and for models to market thier planes and this is most likely what you have ,one that was given to a person that "actually" bought a real Gee Bee, there were quite a few variants of the Gee Bee too !

They were very dangerous to fly and some crashed killing thier pilots but Doolittle loved them and flew them in racing !

I will get the movie. That makes sense that it could be a sales model since the plane and engine model looks to be made by the same person and maybe at the same time.

Jennifer, OooooH La La :jeal0001:

Thanks guys. They are made well. The engine has wire wound at the cylinder jugs which would have taken lots of time. The pieces all have been put together with pins so they can slide together. Here is a better picture of that detail

post-8222-1284108154.jpg

post-8222-1284108214.jpg

post-8222-1284108469.jpg

post-8222-1284108499.jpg