Cleaning Leatherette

Endgame 1945

Hello,

Just got my first WWII medal case today and noticed the exterior could use a cleaning. I have never cleaned a leather case before and really don't want to just try someything new. If anyone could give me advice I would really appreciate it!

Thanks,

Zeke

P.S. Please don't post : " You should just replace it. " Obviously I don't want to do that so please don't tell me I can.

Zeke,

This brings up the age old debate; "Do you leave antiquities as they are found, or can you restore/ repair them".

While a presentation case may not be as important as the Medal that comes in it, you will still find those who will argue the point.

Now that this has been said, I'll tell you what I do. :rolleyes:

I use a high quality leather cleaner first, then follow that with the same high quality leather preservative. I put on a THIN coat, let it dry, then determine if it needs another. DO NOT overdue it. Generally speaking,........ more of anything, is not better. ;)

Jack's son,

Thanks for the input. I will try your technique soon. It sounds really good and I am excited to see the results. If you could, would you post us some pictures so we can see the finished result?

Thanks,

Zeke

Here is what I do:

First off, use a clean cloth (not a paper towel, a cloth) moist with warm water, use that to gently remove any crusty old, heavily embedded dirt or gunk. Take your time and get as much of that surface stuff off as possible. Let it dry completely. Then, take another soft old cloth and lightly spray it with Armor All. Yes, Armor All, the same identical stuff you'd use to clean and condition the leather and plastic on the inside of your car. Spray a small amount of the Armor All on the soft cloth, the gently rub the wet cloth on the case. Just go slow, and check to see the results you get. I would say to do it on the back of the case too, just in case your results are for some strange reason bad. You will be amazed at how it looks.

Some things to be careful of...

If you just spray Armor All on the dirt and then rub it, you are just going to seal in the dirt and grime, which is not good long term I would not think. Second, do this very gently, as you will see seams on the case from when it was made. If you go over those seams to hard, they will start to lift, as I think they were simply glued down war time when they were first made. Third, I have only done this on WW2 made titled cases, I have never done so on pre-WW2 cases that were from the DSM or DSC. I also don't know that I would do it on higher end cases like the Navy Cross or similar, reasoning being I think I may want them "as is" no matter the condition. And last, do not use too much Armor All. If you do, it'll make that case shine line it was lacquered, which looks poor, and also will leave it slick feeling like a freshly Armor All'ed steering wheel does. Just go easy and use it sparingly until you see how well it works and how much you need.

For the Air Medal, Purple Heart, Bronze Star, etc, the cases which are plentiful, I have done this, and it has worked well. In fact, I have done it on some cases as long as 6 and 8 years ago, and you'd never know the things had an Armor All application. Like I said, I only do it when I have to. Several years ago I came into a huge lot of cases and some were grimy, so I had to do this to make them look decent.

While I do not advocate messing with this stuff as a matter of course, there are times when one has nothing to lose and everything to gain, so it can sure make it worth it to do and can make a case look just nearly new.

Good luck!

MW

And finally, if you use my method, you'll have good stuff to clean your car with too, when you are done :)

I have never tried picards (probably spelled wrong, I know) or other such stuff used to "treat" leather, I have heard too many bad things about it. That's just me tho.

http://www.armorall.com/

You could also track down folks a a local car club or show and see what they are successfully using to make the old leather in their classic cars stay nice and not wreck it long term. Of all the folks I can think of who may know, and have the decades of use and observations to say for sure what is good and bad for old leather, they may be the ones...

I know there was an article in Military Trader on this some time back, but I also recall one of the things the article said was that there is often disagreement over how to treat and preserve leather, and on what is truly good & bad for it. I don't think I'd touch an old Civil War cartridge pouch with Armor All, due to how it is made and was used and all, but a leather case for a WW2 made medal, to me that is another story...

MW