Navy Rates WW1 to WW2

Superb, thematic collection. Well done!

Sabrejet :thumbsup:

"We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be. We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender!"

Winston Churchill

" Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans."

John Winston Lennon

donation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

Hello,

I thought I would share my latest obession with everyone.

Enjoy!RIGHT ON ! How do you tell a korean war era corpsman rating from a vietnam

era rating? koreamike :think: :think: :think:

:thumbsup:

The corpsman would likely have sewn on chevron in a Korean War example. Vietnam could be either sewn on or embroider chevrons if they had the older sewn on chevron ones available. Not sure when they went to the embroider chevrons, I think some time in the mid 50's. The phamacist rate or also called corpsman rate with the red cross was changed in 1948.

Here a example with sewn on chevrons.

This corpsman rate was used 1948-

post-2501-1283726656.jpg

Hope this helps,

Jason

donation2012.gif

The corpsman would likely have sewn on chevron in a Korean War example. Vietnam could be either sewn on or embroider chevrons if they had the older sewn on chevron ones available. Not sure when they went to the embroider chevrons, I think some time in the mid 50's. The phamacist rate or also called corpsman rate with the red cross was changed in 1948.

Here a example with sewn on chevrons.

This corpsman rate was used 1948-

post-2501-1283726656.jpg

Hope this helps, Thank you for your kindness koreamike :lol:

Jason

Very nice Corpsman rates. Thanks for sharing.

-fritz

Always looking for USN WW2 era Bullion Chief Petty Officer Rates, any Chief Petty Officer Airship Rigger Rates, Liberty Cuffs, WW2 USMC Insignia and Distinguishing Marks, and WW2 Civil Defense and Civil Air Patrol Insignia

OVMS Member
ASMIC Member

Hello,

I thought I would share my latest obession with everyone.

Enjoy!

:thumbsup:

First off, let me say, great collection, very jealous here. One observation though. The set on the bottom left with the lady in the center. Those are sets that were commercially produced to be put on ladies middie blouses back in the "Teens & Twenties". Not actually Navy insignia, but copies of real stuff. Also, the anchor patch at the top of that set looks like a Non-Designated Seaman mark from the 1980s to present. Great collection though.

Steve Hesson

As Steve, Jason and Fritz noted, nice collection.

As seen in the photo below, the Korean era (1950-53) Hospital Corpsman rating badge would have looked like the (Dental Technician) rating badge shown in the upper left of this photo. It would have had "applied" or stitched on individual chevrons.

The Viet Nam (1959-1975, or 1961-1975) era rating badge would have embroidered chevrons as shown in the other three rating badges. This is normal usage. As Steve (sigseye) has often stated the U.S. Navy, and Naval tailors often issued/utilized older period uniform items until inventories were depleted.

When trying to "date" bullion rating badges the above descriptions don't exactly apply and the "dating hints/guesses" are usually three to four times as difficult.

-danpost-769-1283879183.jpg

Book Link: U.S. Navy Tailor-Made Dress Blues, Liberty Cuffs, and Sailor Folk Art

Wanted: USN Liberty Cuffs, vintage bullion rating badges, pre-1914 rating badges and vintage USN Police style Badges.

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2007.gif