Navy Rates WW1 to WW2

usmcega

Hello,

I thought I would share my latest obession with everyone.

Enjoy!RIGHT ON ! How do you tell a korean war era corpsman rating from a vietnam

era rating? koreamike :think: :think: :think:

:thumbsup:

The corpsman would likely have sewn on chevron in a Korean War example. Vietnam could be either sewn on or embroider chevrons if they had the older sewn on chevron ones available. Not sure when they went to the embroider chevrons, I think some time in the mid 50's. The phamacist rate or also called corpsman rate with the red cross was changed in 1948.

Here a example with sewn on chevrons.

This corpsman rate was used 1948-

post-2501-1283726656.jpg

Hope this helps,

Jason

The corpsman would likely have sewn on chevron in a Korean War example. Vietnam could be either sewn on or embroider chevrons if they had the older sewn on chevron ones available. Not sure when they went to the embroider chevrons, I think some time in the mid 50's. The phamacist rate or also called corpsman rate with the red cross was changed in 1948.

Here a example with sewn on chevrons.

This corpsman rate was used 1948-

post-2501-1283726656.jpg

Hope this helps, Thank you for your kindness koreamike :lol:

Jason

Hello,

I thought I would share my latest obession with everyone.

Enjoy!

:thumbsup:

First off, let me say, great collection, very jealous here. One observation though. The set on the bottom left with the lady in the center. Those are sets that were commercially produced to be put on ladies middie blouses back in the "Teens & Twenties". Not actually Navy insignia, but copies of real stuff. Also, the anchor patch at the top of that set looks like a Non-Designated Seaman mark from the 1980s to present. Great collection though.

Steve Hesson

As Steve, Jason and Fritz noted, nice collection.

As seen in the photo below, the Korean era (1950-53) Hospital Corpsman rating badge would have looked like the (Dental Technician) rating badge shown in the upper left of this photo. It would have had "applied" or stitched on individual chevrons.

The Viet Nam (1959-1975, or 1961-1975) era rating badge would have embroidered chevrons as shown in the other three rating badges. This is normal usage. As Steve (sigseye) has often stated the U.S. Navy, and Naval tailors often issued/utilized older period uniform items until inventories were depleted.

When trying to "date" bullion rating badges the above descriptions don't exactly apply and the "dating hints/guesses" are usually three to four times as difficult.

-danpost-769-1283879183.jpg