"Plaa-tooon Heyyyy-uuuup!"

Sabrejet

This five-disc boxed set has just been released on DVD. All 34 episodes of series one have been digitally re-mastered and are featured here, together with additional material. The antics of Company B, 3rd Platoon, Motor Pool, Ft. Baxter, will have you convulsed in laughter some 55 years since the show first aired. Phil Silvers was a comedy genius and his creation of Bilko a masterpiece! His snappy dialogue and comic timing make this a real tour-de-force and he's ably supported by classic characters like the hapless Colonel Hall, his sidekicks Henshaw and Barbella....plus Dwayne Doberman etc. The storylines and scripts are super-slick and are as fresh today as they were back then, allowing for the fact that the 50s were much "simpler" times.

From a military enthusiast's viewpoint, it's great to be able to see 50s uniforms and equipment "in the round". Yes..Ernie's ribbons move around a bit from episode to episode, but overall the uniforms and insignia are well done. I just watched four episodes and, apart from the usual khakis, there were pinks and greens, parkas, field jackets and Class A "Ike" uniforms etc. (Anyone know why the 69th Division was chosen?)

I give this a 5 star recommendation!! Anyone under 40 out there who didn't get to see "Bilko" in its hey-day, you don't know what you missed!!

Sabrejet :laughing1: :twothumbup: :laughing1:

The 69th was a training division from 1954 to 1956 at Ft. Dix, NJ at that time. Maybe that was the inspiration. Actor George Kennedy was a Regular Army career man and an advisor to the show. Phil Silvers helped him make up his mind when he was pondering a career switch to acting.

The 69th was a training division from 1954 to 1956 at Ft. Dix, NJ at that time. Maybe that was the inspiration. Actor George Kennedy was a Regular Army career man and an advisor to the show. Phil Silvers helped him make up his mind when he was pondering a career switch to acting.

Thanks atb Actually,George Kennedy appears in one episode, briefly, as an MP.

post-8022-1283710342.jpg

A Bilko fan....yours truly!!

Sabrejet ;)

Sabrejet,

Thanks for the heads-up, I was too young to understand it as a child.

Perhaps now it will make more sense. :thumbsup:

Hi JS No need to be coy about your age...you're among friends here! ;) Actually, my earliest memories of "Bilko" go back to the late 50s early 60s when I myself was but a 7 or 8 year old and my parents used to watch it on our old 15" b&w tv! As I grew older I used to watch the periodic re-runs and became hooked. I think I'd probably enjoy its wit and humour whether I was a military enthusiast, or not. Great stuff!

Sabrejet :lol:

I actually bought the first season on DVD in 2005 in afghanistan. Might have just been released for PAL.

Is that so? This is an "all-new" boxed-set which I had to pre-order on Amazon and which was officially released here last week. It may be a re-mastered / re-packaged set for the European market? This was preceded a few years ago by a "5Oth Anniversary" boxed-set, which I also bought at the time. They do have some episodes in common but the latest one is strictly Series One, whist the other contains classic episodes from all of the series.

Sabrejet

Hi JS No need to be coy about your age...you're among friends here! ;) Actually, my earliest memories of "Bilko" go back to the late 50s early 60s when I myself was but a 7 or 8 year old and my parents used to watch it on our old 15" b&w tv! As I grew older I used to watch the periodic re-runs and became hooked. I think I'd probably enjoy its wit and humour whether I was a military enthusiast, or not. Great stuff!

Sabrejet :lol:

It took me a bit longer to understand his humor. I guess at a young age, the sarcasm escaped me.

But it didn't take me long to catch up! :w00t:

• 2 weeks later...