my guns

popgun

flight helmets 522
here is a few of my guns

Great! Can you tell us about your 1911? Is that a Commander type? I've always been a fan of the 1911 Commander.

Hi,

I like this Victory of yours! By chance is it a USN version? My late Father used this same pistol as his sidearm for his two Vietnam combat deployments. It is something that I am looking forward to adding to my collection!

Cheers, Dave

Thanks for the kind comments. The Colt 45 is indeed a commander, In fact it's an early all steel 1991A1. Someday I hope to have a true WII issue 45. The M1917 is a Remmington mix master but it shoot dead on; and the S&W 1917 is an old Postal issue gun that I need period grips for. Anyone have an extra pair?. As for the Victorys one is an Aussie 38s&w and the other is a Plant Guard 38spl. The Enfield is an all matching Savage lend lease, love that gun.

Have a few more I'll post when I get pictures,

My area of expertise is vintage guns, with lots on knowledge on WWII and S&W up to 1950 post war. Also do appraisals. Glad to be a part of what looks like a great fourm.

Popgun.

• 2 months later...

H ey Pop, now you have throw away that horrible M1917 repro holster and the triple pouch. That old Smith wants original stuff. Moreover the holster is a fantasy piece, no one WWI era 1909 holster is marked "USMC"

El Bibliotecario
H ey Pop, now you have throw away that horrible M1917 repro holster and the triple pouch. That old Smith wants original stuff. Moreover the holster is a fantasy piece, no one WWI era 1909 holster is marked "USMC"

True, but if he shoots his sixgun, he may have reached the same decision I did, which was that while a right handed holster may sacrifice authenticity, it miminizes one's opportunity to shoot himself while drawing the weapon.

I'd be curious to know the maker of the parkerized short .45

True, but if he shoots his sixgun, he may have reached the same decision I did, which was that while a right handed holster may sacrifice authenticity, it miminizes one's opportunity to shoot himself while drawing the weapon.

I'd be curious to know the maker of the parkerized short .45

Hi Bib, I'm afraid I couldn't agree with you. It's matter of "respect" toward those old ladies and, if you want them, original right hand holsters are available dtd 1942 and 1944 if you like a WWII rig.

Me too use to do shooting sessions with my venerable guns and usually I carry them to the range in a cheap vintage holster (not a collecting piece). For this purpose I bought a couple of shoulder holster from '30s and a strange Brauer from fifties with fluff inside. Try to compare my pics with the ones above and you'll understand my statement.

BTW. I dont think people would shoot his oldies once a week for twenty consecutive years, so an original vintage holster cannot suffer too much if you bring it with you once in a while.

Anyway, at least for pics, such an holster is mandatory. Believe me, repros are too "grotty".

post-67-1290583284.jpg

El Bibliotecario
Revolver rig

If Wild Bill Hickock had been born in Italy, he would definitely have had a two gun rig like the one pictured.

I wonder if the business of respecting old stuff is relative to experience. Arturo and I are pretty much the same age--but I can remember 1917 Colts selling for under US$20, and original USGI holsters for US$5. Maybe that colors my judgement.

If Wild Bill Hickock had been born in Italy, he would definitely have had a two gun rig like the one pictured.

I wonder if the business of respecting old stuff is relative to experience. Arturo and I are pretty much the same age--but I can remember 1917 Colts selling for under US$20, and original USGI holsters for US$5. Maybe that colors my judgement.

You have been very kind to not confess our age. In Italy those days there were second hand market only for shotguns, very little people cared for old handguns and the most we used to own were illegal WWII left backs. Anyway I can remember serious shooters had the chance to buy a new Highway Patrolman at gun shop paying about 80$. Those days I got my excellent 1943 Colt M1911A1 about 30$. Illegal, of course.

As regards repros my position dont derive from age but i'ts a mental approach. Something in the brain, like our great movie director Luchino Visconti who got from Burt Lancaster his toppest performance in the movie "Il Gattopardo". Well, this movie speaks about 1860 facts an Visconti wanted vintage towels in a drawer which none ever had to open. He wasn't nut, he just wanted the right "atmosphere".

El Bibliotecario
You have been very kind to not confess our age. In Italy those days there were second hand market only for shotguns, very little people cared for old handguns and the most we used to own were illegal WWII left backs. Anyway I can remember serious shooters had the chance to buy a new Highway Patrolman at gun shop paying about 80$. Those days I got my excellent 1943 Colt M1911A1 about 30$. Illegal, of course.

As regards repros my position dont derive from age but i'ts a mental approach. Something in the brain, like our great movie director Luchino Visconti who got from Burt Lancaster his toppest performance in the movie "Il Gattopardo". Well, this movie speaks about 1860 facts an Visconti wanted vintage towels in a drawer which none ever had to open. He wasn't nut, he just wanted the right "atmosphere".

I'm thinking Visconti is like reenactors who carry period coins in their pockets just to feel authentic.

As for our ages, I emphasize that during the $20 1917 Colt era we were both VERY young.