m43 m51 pile caps

koreamike

does any one have any pics and info on m43 and m51 pile caps

also is there any known reference material and contract information ?

thanks koreamike

Funny, I just got this M-51 pile cap in today then saw your request. Do you need pictures of anything in specific? Tags in this one are nice as are all the construction details.

post-2582-1283644939.jpg

does any one have any pics and info on m43 and m51 pile caps

also is there any known reference material and contract information ?

thanks koreamike

Shelby Stanton's U.S.ARMY UNIFORMS OF THE KOREAN WAR has a little information on the pile caps. "The original Cap, Field, Pile, Olive Drab was adopted in 1943. The cap was made of Olive Drab shade 7 cotton poplin and lined with natural alpaca or wool alpaca pile." The pile covered visor caused problems and a revised model was constructed without the pile on the visor. "This revised pattern became the Cap, Field, Pile, Olive Drab, Model Quartermaster 1 (MQ1) adopted by the Quartermaster Corps Technical Committee (QMCTC) 13-48." This cap was subsequently adopted as "Cap, Field, Pile, M1951, on 25 January 1951." The Spec for the M1951 cap was approved on 31 October 1952.

I hope that this helps some. If you have access to the above referenced book, there are numerous photos beginning on Page. 30.

The text right below this pic:

post-3226-1283721171.jpg

These are taken from "Clothing the Soldier of W.W.II", originally published by the U.S. Army in 1945.

Funny, I just got this M-51 pile cap in today then saw your request. Do you need pictures of anything in specific? Tags in this one are nice as are all the construction details.

Thank you very much for taking the time to show me this . There is a dealer on

ebay named marklin 3318 on ebay that has some i was thinking on bidding on

gods blessings koreamike

Shelby Stanton's U.S.ARMY UNIFORMS OF THE KOREAN WAR has a little information on the pile caps. "The original Cap, Field, Pile, Olive Drab was adopted in 1943. The cap was made of Olive Drab shade 7 cotton poplin and lined with natural alpaca or wool alpaca pile." The pile covered visor caused problems and a revised model was constructed without the pile on the visor. "This revised pattern became the Cap, Field, Pile, Olive Drab, Model Quartermaster 1 (MQ1) adopted by the Quartermaster Corps Technical Committee (QMCTC) 13-48." This cap was subsequently adopted as "Cap, Field, Pile, M1951, on 25 January 1951." The Spec for the M1951 cap was approved on 31 October 1952.

I hope that this helps some. If you have access to the above referenced book, there are numerous photos beginning on Page. 30.

Thank you so much i shall try and find a copy gods blessings koreamike

Hi Mike-

Here is some original info on the M1943 Pile Cap...

Photo comparison with the Field Cap:

post-3226-1283721007.jpg

Thank you for all your help i really appreciate it koreamike

Thank you so much koreamike :lol::lol::lol:

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knew if the m43 pile cap was worn or had photos of the cap being worn in World War 2?

Thanks

oops, just noticed the 2 year leap. sorry.

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knew if the m43 pile cap was worn or had photos of the cap being worn in World War 2?

Thanks

oops, just noticed the 2 year leap. sorry.

Here is a photo of an officer using the pile cap during WWII:

49ef7e978f.jpg

The caption: "Officers of the 91st Infantry Division interrogate a group of German prisoners in Italy."

I hope it helps.

Regards,

Gus

The photos do help, I was somewhat under the impression that they never saw action during the war. Do you happen to know of use in the ETO?

I was also wondering, is the inside of the cap the same wool material as the wool blanket? Or could they also have the pile material?

Thanks

The photos do help, I was somewhat under the impression that they never saw action during the war. Do you happen to know of use in the ETO?

I was also wondering, is the inside of the cap the same wool material as the wool blanket? Or could they also have the pile material?

Thanks

If I read correctly on the captions they say Italy(ETO)

Thanks

The inside has a wool file, similar to the one of the tanker jacket:

pilecapLarge.jpg

As for the ETO, it actually covered Italy, but I understand that you mean the Northwestern European area. I don't have a photo of soldiers wearing it that area, but I am sure other members of the forum do.

Regards,

Gus

• 11 years later...

Ok, this is my first post in this forum. I apologize, I am not very adept at this sort of thing. I was looking up Tony Vaccaro and found an image that made me think of this thread in regards to the M43 pile cap being worn in the northern ETO. In a picture from his album titled "Entering Germany" there is an image of a GI standing near a presumably young German boy wearing an M43 pile cap. His SSI is clear and that of the big red one. Thought it was interesting as I had pondered this myself. I have no idea on how to post pictures but here's a link 

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/513973376216153576/

• 1 month later...