Wolf's Photo Files

Hawk914

Here's a rarely seen color shot of an equally rare P-40D. (only 22 were built)

P-40D002copy2.jpg

Click for larger image

Project 914 Archives

This was scanned from a print I have which was probably made in the 70s or 80s. The color is all outta wack and it was really grainy (I think it was a copy of a copy), so I had a heckuva time cleaning it up and correcting the colors. It's not perfect but it looks much better than the print...

Fade to Black...

• 2 weeks later...

Alrighty, I like to fool around with Photoshop. In addition to simply cleaning images up and such, I also like to get a bit creative now and again.

This is my first serious attempt at colorizing an aircraft photo. My very first attempt at colorizing was done with a photo of a person. And although I was fairly happy with the results, I was a bit hesitant to try something like this, especially after my first few experiments had ended in total and utter failure.

But, as my high school art teacher Mr. McCleary once told me, " if you work with a subject that's near to your heart, you may be inclined to do a better job and to stick with it through any and all setbacks". Well, 'ole 'Mac' was right on the button, as usual. I picked a photo of my favorite bird and stuck with it. The only 'setback' was the fact that this kind of work is tedious going, and when I first started this project I was gung-ho... for about eight hours over the course of two nights. I get bored easily, so put it aside for a while.

Well, outta sight is outta mind. So 'a while' turned into several months. I rediscovered this image yesterday and went at it again, determined not to stop until I had some sort of reasonable result. Needless to say, I'm dead-a** tired right now... LOL

Anyhoo, my focus was on the aircraft, so the tarmac, sky, and background are pretty blah. But I'll work on those kinda things next time 'round.

P-408PG001b.jpg

Click for larger image

NACA (NASA) photo

Fade to Black...

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to be putting these up on my site soonly, but thought I'd share them here first.

11th Fighter Squadron...

11FS001b.jpg

11FS002b.jpg

11FS003b.jpg

11FS004b.jpg

11FS005b.jpg

11FS006b.jpg

11FS007b.jpg

11FS008b.jpg

11FS009b.jpg

This shot shows hollywood studio mogul Daryl Zanuck (middle) and director John Huston (left) while in theater filming 'Report From the Aleutians'...

11FS010b.jpg

All photos: Project 914 Archives

Fade to Black...

More 11th FS...

Don't have a name for this fella at hand... I think he was ops officer for the 11th.

11FS016b.jpg

11FS011b.jpg

11FS012b.jpg

11FS013b.jpg

11FS014b.jpg

11FS015b.jpg

All photos: Project 914 Archives

Fade to Black...

18th Fighter Squadron...

18FS002b.jpg

18FS003b.jpg

18FS001b.jpg