Collar Discs

normaninvasion

Good looking pair.I see there are some differances in details of the eagle,anchors and continents.Any idea on how many makers or variations of the discs.dies there are?

RD

Good looking pair.I see there are some differances in details of the eagle,anchors and continents.Any idea on how many makers or variations of the discs.dies there are?

RD

Yes, these are a closely matched, but didnt start life together.

I think I have 6-7 different types of USMC discs in my collection, and I have seen a few that I dont have, so I'm going to say that there are easily 8-10 different variations out there.

normaninvasion
Yes, these are a closely matched, but didnt start life together.

I think I have 6-7 different types of USMC discs in my collection, and I have seen a few that I dont have, so I'm going to say that there are easily 8-10 different variations out there.

Would this be 8-10 different "Army/Navy" versions? Any idea as to who and where the contractors were from, same as Army collar brass manufactures?

I dont know anything about "Army/Navy" versions, and no idea where that info comes from, or its basis of fact. Is that from a disc book? I have heard many people refer to the same terms. All I know is I have counted at least 8-10 different distinct versions. I am not counting die variations where one eagle's head may be a bit less curved than the other, or where one anchor stock is less bulky than another.

Mike

normaninvasion

Forgive my labeling. To stay within a common Forum context, I use the term "issue" variety for the disc style shown at the top of this thread and "Army/Navy" variety to describe the type with elongated wings and distinct lines of longitude and latitude. All based on this reference thread http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...?showtopic=8096. Hope to learn more about the different variations encountered, maybe the upcoming book will shed more light on this. jeff

Forgive my labeling. To stay within a common Forum context, I use the term "issue" variety for the disc style shown at the top of this thread and "Army/Navy" variety to describe the type with elongated wings and distinct lines of longitude and latitude. All based on this reference thread http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...?showtopic=8096. Hope to learn more about the different variations encountered, maybe the upcoming book will shed more light on this. jeff

It would be nice to see the said "army navy catologue" that some refer to. I have never seen it. Right now, I dont think anyone knows what was issue, if anything was at all, and what may have been for purchase. There are many more distinct versions than what you are referring to as "army navy" or what soem call "issue". I thought maybe somewhere along the line a disc book dicussed these USMC discs and that is where people were getting the terms. I have never subscribed to these terms, as I have never seen any proof of issue or sale with any associated maker or name.

Mike

I dont know anything about "Army/Navy" versions, and no idea where that info comes from, or its basis of fact. Is that from a disc book? I have heard many people refer to the same terms. All I know is I have counted at least 8-10 different distinct versions. I am not counting die variations where one eagle's head may be a bit less curved than the other, or where one anchor stock is less bulky than another.

Mike

Mike,

There is a fairly common reprint of the "Army Navy Store of New York" Catalog from 1918. I believe the reprint was done by Jaques Noel Jacobsen some time in the 1980s??? The catalog shows--along with other USMC insignia for sale-- the collar disks labeled by many collectors as "Army Navy Store Variety" hence the name. Aside from the reprints, original printings of the catalog have come up for sale on ebay from time to time.

To be honest the reprint of this catalog is so common that I'm more than a little bit surprised that a collector of your advanced level has not yet seen it:

http://www.amazon.com/Army-Navy-Store-Cata...7962&sr=8-1

Certainly, the Army Navy Store of New York was like a lot of other opportunistic companies of the WW1 era that were re-sellers of insignia and gear manufactured by other parties. There is no evidence (that I know of) that the Army Navy Store manufactured the disks, but clearly; as evidenced by the photographs in their catalog, they certainly sold them (other firms may have sold them as well).

As far as the "Issue" appellation comes from, the original posts on the forum discussing this merely speculated that the most common variety was the best candidate to be the disks issued to the Marines in France during late 1918 and early 1919. Of course, collectors being fond of categorizing things; it seems the labels have stuck somewhat.

I suppose its a bit like calling a WW1 jacket a "tunic." They were never called that by the military, yet it is undeniably the prevalent term amongst collectors.

So you have a copy? Is it photographs or illustrations? Any one care to send a scan of the page if they have it?

I have heard about the catalog but never invested the 10 bucks it cost to see one not so good illustration. Same with Bannermann's. I know the illustrations in Bannermann's catalogues were often not exactly like the actual item, it was a pen and ink drawing. So I've never put much credence in these old time catalogs. The EGAs depicted that forum member "forumsupport" posted for us a couple years back out of a 1920's Bannermanns catalog, is nothing close to an EGA that was really ever sold or produced during that time.

Mike

Mike,

I used to have a copy--it disintegrated years ago. But the illustrations are photos; not line drawings like the old Bannerman's catalogs. Good luck with your search!

Chris