CONFEDERATE VETERANS KEPI

cpatrick

Here is something that I have pulled out of the display case for your viewing pleasure. This came to me several years ago via a "picker" in Virginia. It's a nice salty United Confederate Veterans kepi, which, based on the construction, I would date as being from the 1880's or 1890's. The buttons are unmarked, early style Indian War cap or cuff buttons. (Raised shield, as opposed to the recessed shield of the CW era) The visor is constructed from a tarred paperboard type material.

Just how often do we see these??? I assume not too much.

I will have pics up in a bit, my computer, being a yankee, doesn't like the pics of this hat! I will see if i can figure out what it wrong...

Chris

OK, my computer is being goofy. Here are pics of it that I had posted on the Military Collecting Forum (MCF) last year. I will see if I can get them to upload later. Also pictured is a M1902 dress cap that was modified into a GAR cap. Identified to Solomon Hasbrouck, Asst. Surgeon in the 133rd New York.

If anyone wants closeups, or more info, please let me know.

Chris

post-548-1186626770.jpg

post-548-1186626781.jpg

post-548-1186626791.jpg

Chris,

Two interesting caps. The GAR cap is certainly not the regulation kepi or the slouch hat. I have seen these before though, so I would say it is not common either.

The Confederate Veteran kepi is also uncommon in my experience. I mostly see photos of the slouch hat in wear but not many pictures of Confederate vets wearing the kepi. Does the kepi have UCV markings or a UCV insignia or buttons? I can't tell.

UCV_cap_wreath.JPG

I had a nice Confederate Veteran kepi that I got in the late 1950s but I traded it off years ago unfortunately. I always seem to regret doing those things. I remember it had a San Antonio Texas maker and was identified to the Robert E. Lee Camp. Oh well...

SARGE,

The buttons are Indian War period eagle's. I am always amused to see that many of these veterans, from both sides of the war, often would wear their original war-time equipment. There is one newsreel clip that I particularly remember, of a Union veteran wearing a Hardee hat. We've all seen the soldier's using period swords and muskets as well. This may, in part, explain why many of the original textiles are not around, and the collecting of UCV/GAR/ETC textiles are increasingly more popular. As for the kepi, this is the first example that I have seen in the flesh, and I have not seen another since. The $200 that I put into it seems much more economical that the $15,000-$20,000+ that I would otherwise have to pay for a forage cap used during the war.

Chris

The patriotic meercahum pipe is also a "looker". The eagle dated from the 1820's, which would indicate that the pipe itself could date anywhere between 1820-1860. I love the force-fit cherry stem, and the hard rubber mouth piece. I have this one displayed with a pair of earlier, colonial period pipe tongs. It's not veteran related, but it was part of the display.

Chris