M26 Pacific 'Dragon Wagon'

Johan Willaert

Johan Willaert

Here's a picture from my collection showing an M26 Pacific Tank Tractor adorned with a Disney style character.....

Picture was taken in the ETO in winter 44-45.. Location nor unit are known.....

WLATankTransporter.jpg

PacificDetail.jpg

Enjoy,

Johan

Thanks for posting that image Johan.

That sort of does look like Donald Duck, doesn't it? It's amazing to me how pervasive the Disney menagerie of characters were in WW II. The Studio supported all manner of home front campaigns, produced propaganda and training films, and of course, the insignia contribution.

Lots of those young warriors grew-up watching Disney characters in cartoons at their local theater, or were members of the theater-based Mickey Mouse Club, which during the 30s had more members than the Boy and Girl Scouts combined! They were also the ones that supported the Studio by purchasing all the great Mickey and Donald toys and magazines in the early and mid-thirties.

When asked why he let his artists design some 1,200 insignia for combat units during the war, a service by the way that he provided for free, Walt Disney, who I consider a true American patriot, said simply, "I owed it to them."

Johan Willaert

Thanks Dave...

ANy idea what the name or letters above the USA Registration Number could be???

Is it something in a foreign language maybe???

Looks like

IITUVUBAD

Hi Johan.

That slogan does look like it is in a foreign language the way it is written.

I`m thinking though, it`s probably a phrase, like those found on vanity car license plates here in North America. Like: cul8r (see you later)