Mills 1913 rimless eagle mag. pouches

Fausto

Once again we have to face the puzzle of colours. If this last rimmed pouch is khaki, its a very late 1917 or an early 1918 (why throw away still available rimmed snaps?) If it's pea green it's a 1915-1916. Anyway I wonder if date stamp was integral with the logo in Mills stamp or , just to save few cents, they used an everlasting logo stamp and bought separately stamps for date. In this case Mills workers could havew been affected by lack of attention during the boring stamp operation.

BTW I've noticed that until now LTD snaps, introduced in 1916, are found only in gear made dated 1917 and after. This mounted Mills in brownish OD is dated march 1917 and it's the ancient LTD equipped piece of equipment I have. Note oval grommets and compare the colour with the august 1918 khaki Russell belt below.

post-67-1284285306.jpg

post-67-1284285325.jpg

Hello Arturo...

the pouches in the pictures are definitely of different ages. Two (the January 1917 and the matching undated) are definitely khaki, puckered and late type belt button. The other one is definitely green ( I would not say "pea green", just dark green), no pucker, no belt snap. As for the stamps, your theory is amaizing, but I wouldn't think about a Mills logo with added year or month/year using another stamp. When present, the year (until 1915) and the month-year (after 1915/16 if I'm correct) are too well aligned to be from different stamps. It would be fantastic if we could get - at one time or another - some original Mills stamps... But we are just in the collector's dreams field...

Fausto

BTW I've noticed that until now LTD snaps, introduced in 1916, are found only in gear made dated 1917 and after. This mounted Mills in brownish OD is dated march 1917 and it's the ancient LTD equipped piece of equipment I have. Note oval grommets and compare the colour with the august 1918 khaki Russell belt below.

Hello Arturo,

You have perfect timing!! I picked this canteen set up yesterday. I've seen these 1916 dated LTD snap covers before and found one at an antique shop in Adamstown Pennsylvania yesterday on my way home from a gun show.

Tim

post-192-1284331675.jpg

The canteen and cup are undated but all three pieces are unit marked. The set is in near unissued condition. I thought the snaps may have been replaced to but I compared it to my 1916 dated eagle snap cover and it looks like the female part of the snap would have left a larger hole than the LTD snap would cover. I was also fortunate to pick up a mint condition 1913 dated canteen cover from eBay recently. I'll try to post pictures tonight.

Tim

Hello! Just made another discovery (?). A rimmed eagle snap magazine pouch without...eagle... It is part of a nice rig just on offer on eBay. The pouch is totally regular and dated 1915 (faint marking, but surely 1915), but look at the buttons: they are without eagle. I would say that they are corrugated inside the rims, but no eagle at all...What do you think? This is the very first time in all my life that I see a pouch like that. As the rig holster is what Mills offered for private purchase by men and officers armed with the 1911 pistol, maybe this pouch was sold with no eagles on buttons? Thanks...

Fausto

We know Mills made on special order also web gear for USMC with EGA, State Militia and others so you can find snaps with State crest or even nickeled and maybe also with no crest, as per british style. God knows. For sure it's a rarity.

I've seen those pouches before described as "Canadian Army" issue. I believe the story was that the Canadians had purchased some M1911's for the war effort and ordered the equipment from Mills.

Tim

I've seen those pouches before described as "Canadian Army" issue. I believe the story was that the Canadians had purchased some M1911's for the war effort and ordered the equipment from Mills.

Tim

It's possible. Years ago I saw a pic of a Mills canadian rig complete with the Mills web holster for the 1911. I have to found that pic again.