Mills 1913 rimless eagle mag. pouches

Fausto

Hi Guys !

Here my little "family" of Mills rimless eagle snaps .45 magazine pockets. All dated 1913. The one in the middle has a definitely smaller stamp than the others ones. But what I was thinking about is the shade of these three pouches. On the left the darker one: seems O.D. In the middle the medium shade: half O.D. half dark green. On the right the definitely Pea Green one. All brand new. All unused. All pictures made in daylight without flash. All, I must say, look like natural. Well: in the same year three shades of colour running from O.D. to Pea Green? Too bad that in 1913 Mills didn't put the month on the stamp. Unfortunately we cannot say - in that year - which one was made first and which one last. What do you think about? Thanks for looking...

Fausto

Thanks ! I'm trying to put together the best .45 mag. pouches I can find. This since many years. I have these three mint rimless and four rimmed mint pouches. By the way, looking at the picture I posted, I see that the colours were better before I reduced the size. Actually the pouch on the right is more pea green than it appears...

I have been looking for a second rimless millls mag pouch. But the prices are crazy on them. I'll just gaze at your collection instead.

Great pouchs!

Thanks to you all !

I will post in a couple of days the markings of the three pouches. Anyhow they are all marked Mills 1913. One has this mark smaller than the other two. I will post, too, pictures of my four mint rimmed eagle pouches.

Arturo...ce la metto tutta, ma di questo passo dovrò vendermi casa...

Thanks... Fausto

Hello! Here the markings of the three pouches. As you can see, one has unit markings too. As I said one has a smaller stamp than other two. Thanks for looking...

Fausto

post-8381-1283758911.jpg

here you can see the smaller mark (top picture). Actually the Mills logo is almost identical, but the 1913 is definitely smaller...

post-8381-1283758984.jpg

post-8381-1283758995.jpg

I know digital cameras and flashes make fantasy colours, but I've noticed that 1913 Mills stuff is OD colour while rimmed snap stuff is in the distintive pea green colour. It's funny to see they never distributed that pouch after having stamped unit markings.

From the top 1913,1915,1917

post-67-1283761091.jpg

Very nice belts, Arturo...

Yes, there is a great confusion about the colours of rimless and rimmed eagle stuff. I'm still convinced that sometimes the Mills colour shades are owed more to the availability of the web stocks they had at one moment of manufacture than to Goverment directives. I'm posting again the very first picture in which you can see that the pouch on the right is definitely green, while the two on the left are two different O.D. shades. And I'm posting again two rimmed eagle pouches in my collection. The one on the left, which is greenish, is dated December 1916. The one on the right, which is khaki, is dated January 1917 and I think it is one of the very last made with eagle button. Please note that the belt snap on the back of this pouch is the late type. I think that the presence of the eagle buttons is simply owed to the fact that some of these buttons where still in the Mills stock and they didn't want to throw them away...

The more logical approach to the "today's" shade of Mills stuff is something connected with various batch of dying agent Mills used to buy in Germany and the aging. For sure you know the story that Mills stuff became khaki during WWI due to stop of import.

My pre WWI M1912s in their drawer. In the meanwhile I bought few more of them but shades of colour are well represented.

post-67-1283774621.jpg

And this is the rimmed snap rig with a left hand M1912 holster.

I've already posted a dozen times these pics but maybe some newcomer can find them useful.

post-67-1283775759.jpg

Splendid ! Which is the date? The "usual" 1913 or earlier? I have only seen just a couple of pictures of a pouch dated 1912...Thanks. It is always a pure pleasure to look at so mint examples of these pouches...

Fausto

I would like to add mine to the topic. Both pouches are dated 1914 and the belt is (I think) 1913. They are all what I call Pea Green with the pouch on the left being the lightest color and the belt being the darkest color. I believe the belt is the 2nd style without the pouch snap but has the grommets. Thanks.

60.jpg

62.jpg

63.jpg

64.jpg

65.jpg

66.jpg

Guys... How many treasures here... And, by the way, Keith, your pouches and your belt are super... Interesting is the fact that your two pouches are first type rimless eagle, dated 1914, and I have a mint Mills, also dated 1914, which is second type with rimmed eagles. Too bad that Mills, at that time didn't put the month on their stamps. It would be very interesting to know which month they turned from one to second type... Thanks to you all for sharing so nice examples of these fine pouches...

Fausto

post-8381-1284102084.jpg