M1956 used in Afghanistan?!

Mercenary25

Cobrahistorian

A friend of mine was with 5th Group in Vietnam and wore his Vietnam-issued 56 gear in Afghanistan the first time he was there in 2002. I've seen a couple shots of other SF types wearing it too. Really cool to see!

I know a guy who was in the 82nd back in the early 80s,He had a set of gear he used and it was all Viet Nam era.He put it together from going to shops and gunshows and preffered it over the ALICE gear as he didnt like how noisy the nylon was and the way the closured clicked when closing.I still have the set in my collection :thumbsup:

A friend of mine was with 5th Group in Vietnam and wore his Vietnam-issued 56 gear in Afghanistan the first time he was there in 2002. I've seen a couple shots of other SF types wearing it too. Really cool to see!

CH

Thats what I was thinking.Guy probably and SF operator/SEAL(?)

To be honest with you, I'm not sure if he is airsofter but this environment sure looks like Afghanistan.

I think you maybe right. Most of the "spookies" that were classmates of mine while are now old, fat and consultants don't usually publish thier faces. Could be a real pic though...Hills of CA?

I think you maybe right. Most of the "spookies" that were classmates of mine while are now old, fat and consultants don't usually publish thier faces. Could be a real pic though...Hills of CA?

Assuming you mean California; I don't think I've seen hills like that around here, :think: but anything is possible.

(perhaps Central CA?)

Airborne-Hunter
Assuming you mean California; I don't think I've seen hills like that around here, :think: but anything is possible.

(perhaps Central CA?)

Doesn't look like Cali to me....definately not near me in Nor Cal. The only area that would look like that (that I can think of) is like around the Grape Vine or around San Bernadino in the Summer. Even then, those areas are not very rocky. If you look at the picture attached; the green box represents Lake Tahoe area and I don't think it could be anything above (north) that. The red box is where I would assume it to be if in California. Although if it is in that (red box) region then it would have to be fairly low lying and in the foothills because of the sparse greenery (right?). Is the man's camo right for Afghanistan? If I had to place this in the US I would say maybe Colorado or a state a bit more east of California. Looks more Nevada. But what do I know. Just Some thoughts. Best ABN

post-1800-1283486151.jpg

Doesn't look like Cali to me....definately not near me in Nor Cal. The only area that would look like that (that I can think of) is like around the Grape Vine or around San Bernadino in the Summer. Even then, those areas are not very rocky. If you look at the picture attached; the green box represents Lake Tahoe area and I don't think it could be anything above (north) that. The red box is where I would assume it to be if in California. Although if it is in that (red box) region then it would have to be fairly low lying and in the foothills because of the sparse greenery (right?). Is the man's camo right for Afghanistan? If I had to place this in the US I would say maybe Colorado or a state a bit more east of California. Looks more Nevada. But what do I know. Just Some thoughts. Best ABN

I can say with out a doubt that there is no areas like that in California, but large areas of Nevada and Utah are just like that. ;)

I can say with out a doubt that there is no areas like that in California, but large areas of Nevada and Utah are just like that. ;)

I said CA as in California as I don't think the picture is a legitimate current ops photo. It could be Nevada, AZ, etc.

If it is, I like my crow 1. fried 2. sauteed' 3. baked

316th FS 324th FG

Agree, but, a remarkable # of operators (both current and recent) are on facebook and I have been suprised at how many of them do not lock down their security settings. Thus, almost anyone can view the pictures once they come across them.

Even with some of the grooming standards relaxed for certain parties during certain times, I don't care for the carefully trimmed goatee he has coming in. Looks out of place in the intent of the relaxed grooming practices that were allowed to blend in better with some local customs that full beards were the norm. That combined with the fresh minty state of everything this guy is wearing along with some of the already mentioned cues, makes me not too warm and fuzzy on the authenticity. Could be wrong, but just not getting the right vibes. Plus, OMG, there's no pockets on the sleeves :D

But, on the subject, I knew some guys who started using the older canvas ammo pouches such as this guy when the 14's were making a comeback into the line as the designated marksman weapon. Only made sense. M14 mags fit into pouches made for them.

Sure looks like terrain in West Texas, Southern New Mexico, Franklin Mountains, Organ and Hueco Mountains, Guadalupe Mountains all have very similar terrain features....

Things that make you go Hmmm.... :think: :think: :dunno: :dunno:

Leigh...

Maybe Merc can say where he scored the pic from???

I pulled this photo off multicam thread in another forum. I asked him what was the source. If he replied, I'll let everyone know.

Hooviedude, his multicam is private purchased. Before mutlicam was widely adopted for Afghanistan, many Special Operation soldiers bought commercial multicam sets from Tru-Spec and Propper. I have one multicam used by SF which is made by Tru-Spec, but modified like DCU (placement of lower pockets on upper sleeves)

DSCF3879.jpg

Here is another photo of "green" area of Afghanistan which looks similar.

80606684en2.jpg

83879967ko1.jpg

But then, it is possible that an airsofter found a place that looks similar to Afghanistan so he made a trip and posed for picture. :think:

Ok gentlemen, the source of this photo can be found here.

http://www.imageseek.com/m1a/gallery/slide...bumName=service

This U. S. Army soldier is located somewhere in Afghanistan. Note the M14 EBR-RI with Smith Enterprise scope mount and M1956 magazine pouches. Photo courtesy of Smith Enterprise, Inc.

So he is not an airsofter.

OK. I looked at the smithenterprises site (who's job it is to sell M-14's) and the other site. A couple of things I find odd...

1. Most (and not all) pictures shown in the links list actual names and units. But they do name the source most of the time except in this photo.

2. When comparing the terrain pictures as shown here and with the ID'd soldiers/units, the soldiers in the ID'd units "look" like soldiers. Helmets, equipment, etc. This guy looks like a "model" in appropriate "stuff" with the weapon that they are trying to market/sell.

3. Other posters here have made great observations and comments as well.

Again, I have no dog in this fight but something just doesn't sit right with this one picture. And again, I like my crow fried! :)

Ok, I take my post above back. I looked in Smith Enterprises, INC website and found this photo.

Apparently he is actual soldier in Afghansitan. Just scroll down until you find this picture.

http://www.smithenterprise.com/support05.html

September 08, 2009 1:39 PM

Subject: Your Scope Mount at Work .......

Here’s your M14 scope mount (P/N 2006) at work in Afghanistan .... Report is that it improved the rifle’s accuracy 100%

Thanks,

Steve S.

Milton, Indiana

Ok, I take my post above back. I looked in Smith Enterprises, INC website and found this photo.

Apparently he is actual soldier in Afghansitan. Just scroll down until you find this picture.

http://www.smithenterprise.com/support05.html

Merc,

I don't disagree. Just odd that even those in that thread do share albiet minimal details, but details. I am also in Mass first beer and (my) crow is on me! :)

Jake Powers

www.bandofbrotherstours.com

Even with some of the grooming standards relaxed for certain parties during certain times, I don't care for the carefully trimmed goatee he has coming in. Looks out of place in the intent of the relaxed grooming practices that were allowed to blend in better with some local customs that full beards were the norm. That combined with the fresh minty state of everything this guy is wearing along with some of the already mentioned cues, makes me not too warm and fuzzy on the authenticity. Could be wrong, but just not getting the right vibes. Plus, OMG, there's no pockets on the sleeves :D

But, on the subject, I knew some guys who started using the older canvas ammo pouches such as this guy when the 14's were making a comeback into the line as the designated marksman weapon. Only made sense. M14 mags fit into pouches made for them.

Agreed - simply a way to carry M-14 magazines for the EBR he's toting...