Good book about USN flight Jacket M422a??? Which one???

jerry_k

hello...

I look for good book about USN flight Jacket like M422a... Which book is the best, and included this subject??? Which one, forum members can recommend???

Thanks ,

Jerry K.

vintageproductions

Jerry-Some of the best books on flight jackets are out of Japan. I think the name of one is SUIT UP! which has Marilyn Monroe on the cover. You will see these on Ebay once in a while. The other one which is published in Japanese & English is " FULL GEAR COLLECTOR'S GUIDE ON US MILITARY FLYING CLOTHING FROM 1920'S THRU 1970'S" by Rota Mituhiro.It was published in 2005. Their website is www.fullgear.net . I believe this book runs around $250.00 or more. This is probably the best book done to date on flight jackets. It goes into great details on zippers, jackets, etc..Hope this helps.

Bob

thanks Bob for info...

I know the Full gear book... I wrote to Rota Mituhiro but edition sold out :((((

I will try on Ebay!

regards,

Jerry K.

thanks Bob for info...

I know the Full gear book... I wrote to Rota Mituhiro but edition sold out :((((

I will try on Ebay!

regards,

Jerry K.

JERRY, LOOK ON EBAY FOR ITEM #200139967808. I THINK IT'S JUST WHAT YOUR LOOKING FOR.

vintageproductions

Larry, That's a decent book, but if you can find the Full Gear, you will never need another book on Flight Jackets again. Missed you at Ft Mac.

Bob

Charlie Flick

Jerry:

I can't say which book is the best on Navy flight jackets since I have not seen all of them. Two that I do own are pretty good. "Hell Bent for Leather" focuses on the A-2 and the G-1 flight jackets. A brand new WW2 book just published is "US Naval Aviation Flying Clothing and Gear", by Jeff Warner and published by Schiffer, has some good coverage of flight jackets and other clothing, and a whole lot of other stuff as well.

By the way, how is it that the Japanese have written and published so extensively on US flight jackets?

Regards,

Charlie

vintageproductions

Charlie-The Japanese have published two dozen or more books devoted to just flight jackets. In fact we were contacted by one of the publishers recently from Japan, to help them find collections to be photogrpahed for another upcoming book on flight jackets. Of the two books you mentiond, Jeff Warner's is a great book for basic information on jackets. The Japanese books go into detail about each type of jacket and then show variations of makers, some with insignia, ones with different zippers, etc. Hell Bent For Leather was a great book when it came out but unfortunately has been left in the dust by some of the books from Japan. You can check Ebay under flight jacket listings, and some of the better Japanese book still appear. During the hey day of flight jackets in the late 80's and 90's, the Japanese were putting out new books every couple of months.

Jerry:

I can't say which book is the best on Navy flight jackets since I have not seen all of them. Two that I do own are pretty good. "Hell Bent for Leather" focuses on the A-2 and the G-1 flight jackets. A brand new WW2 book just published is "US Naval Aviation Flying Clothing and Gear", by Jeff Warner and published by Schiffer, has some good coverage of flight jackets and other clothing, and a whole lot of other stuff as well.

By the way, how is it that the Japanese have written and published so extensively on US flight jackets?

Regards,

Charlie

Thanks guys for info... I will try buy "Hell Bent for Leather" ...

I have had Jeff's book...I like it... great photos etc.... but like wrote Bob:

Jeff Warner's is a great book for basic information on jackets. The Japanese books go into detail about each type of jacket and then show variations of makers, some with insignia, ones with different zippers, etc.

regards,

Jerry K.

• 6 years later...