M1944 Musette bag. M1944 Suspenders w/ M44 packs, M1945 suspenders w/ M45 packs

dartheric1

Hey guys, it would be nice if everyone could post either original pics or preferably pics of their M1944 Musette bags. M1944 suspenders w/ M44 packs and M1945 suspenders w/ M45 packs. Im trying to figure out the differences of the M44 and M45 pack systems and their suspenders as well as get some original pics of the M1944 musette bag in use. ;)

Thanks, Eric

Captainofthe7th

I think the suspenders are the same. The differences between m44 and m45 packs are how the 'quick release' buckles work between the combat and cargo pack. If you also look at where the straps come in (that loop through the suspenders) on the M45 they go over the top flap and join with where the main buckles are. This is not the case on the m44. The buckles are just sewn on with a short piece of canvas.

Check out the reference section. One or both of these definitely answers your question(s) in depth with original photos, field manuals, and color photos of minty gear.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...p?showtopic=779

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...showtopic=13238

I think the last musette was M36....

Rob

What is an M44 musette bag? You mean a later model of the "BAG, CANVAS FIELD, M1936" with eyelets on the flap for attaching something(ie a shovel)?

Yes my mistake, thats what i mean, ive seen in the forum it being called the M44 musette bag, but who knows.

I think the suspenders are the same. The differences between m44 and m45 packs are how the 'quick release' buckles work between the combat and cargo pack. If you also look at where the straps come in (that loop through the suspenders) on the M45 they go over the top flap and join with where the main buckles are. This is not the case on the m44. The buckles are just sewn on with a short piece of canvas.

Check out the reference section.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...p?showtopic=779

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...showtopic=13238

I think the last musette was M36....

Rob

Right, i looked at this discussion yesterday but cant really make out the details. I know the 45 suspenders introduced extra webbing reinforcement but to me the 44s and 45s look identical? Do you have your own that u could post pics of for easy reference? i have two pairs of either 44 suspenders or 45 suspenders, i just dont know what they really are..... :blink:

craig_pickrall

Without a lot of time spent digging around I think the M45 suspenders have padding added under the straps that isn't on the M44 suspenders.

Without a lot of spent digging around I think the M45 suspenders have padding added under the straps that isn't on the M44 suspenders.

So basically thats it? padding and the Quick release clips are slighty different? Thanks guys :thumbsup:

So basically thats it? padding and the Quick release clips are slighty different? Thanks guys :thumbsup:

The 1944 pattern combat field pack suspenders are the same as the M-1945 suspenders except that the later type have padding added to the shoulders. The primary difference in the packs are the method of attaching the cargo bag to the combat pack. Craig and others have actually done a very good illustrating the differences if you look at those other threads.

The "M1944 musette bag" is a collector misnomer, like lots of things you'll read on the forum. The M-1936 canvas field bag was modified in 1944 with the addition of the equipment tab after experiments in the 1943 field trials. It was only produced in 1944 and 1945.

The 1944 pattern combat field pack suspenders are the same as the M-1945 suspenders except that the later type have padding added to the shoulders. The primary difference in the packs are the method of attaching the cargo bag to the combat pack. Craig and others have actually done a very good illustrating the differences if you look at those other threads.

The "M1944 musette bag" is a collector misnomer, like lots of things you'll read on the forum. The M-1936 canvas field bag was modified in 1944 with the addition of the equipment tab after experiments in the 1943 field trials. It was only produced in 1944 and 1945.

Thanks alot!. well they i now knowe i have two pairs of M1944 suspenders and one has been put together backwards :lol:

craig_pickrall

Can you post a pic of the set that is backward? That was discussed here once before and if I recall correctly the problem was resolved by working the straps without ever having to loosen any old stitching.

From my experience they did not add the extra padding on the M44/45 suspenders till 1950, I had set that was dated 1949 and they were the exact same as the 44-45 dated one's. I have never seen any dated 46-48 and only the one I had have I ever seen any dated 49.

Can you post a pic of the set that is backward? That was discussed here once before and if I recall correctly the problem was resolved by working the straps without ever having to loosen any old stitching.

Yes,Craig it was.. If you feed the back strap through the loop it will fix the problem.. :thumbsup:

Apparently the files to big :ermm:

Here is my M1944 Combat Pack set. I've had the Combat pack and suspenders since the late 70s... I picked up the minty Cargo bag back in 2008 at the Cincinnati/N. Kentucky ASMIC show.

Wayne

post-3743-1283469685.jpg

Here is my M1944 Combat Pack set. I've had the Combat pack and suspenders since the late 70s... I picked up the minty Cargo bag back in 2008 at the Cincinnati/N. Kentucky ASMIC show.

Wayne

cool, are the M44 suspenders attached to it?

Wayne

A nice set of late variation of the M1944 packs. Are they dated 1944 or 1945? Seeing the style of lower pack I guess 1945...?

Regards

Greg

cool, are the M44 suspenders attached to it?

Yes, the suspenders are attached...

I'll dig them out and check the dates on them in the morning....

Wayne

I'll dig them out and check the dates on them in the morning...

Thanks Wayne.

I would not be surprised if the Cargo Pack was made by The Meyer Co. with 1945 date stamped. But who knows, maybe I am wrong although 2nd Pattern of M1944 packs had its own design.

Regards

Greg