What Years Were The Different Styles Of Fatigue Shirt Name Tape Used?

AirMechanic

On 1/27/2019 at 8:22 PM, patches said:

A bad TYPO on my part I notice now.

"interestingly the 3rd Pattern doesn't seem to have had the tape sewn on when seen in unissued condition, perhaps because this pattern wasn't issued or available for purchase for that long before the new 3rd Pattern came out."

3rd Pattern should read 2nd Pattern, as with this unissued example below, for some reason U.S. ARMY tapes are not found sewn on this type, possibly as mentioned, wasn't issued or available for purchase for that long before the new 3rd Pattern came out. or it wasn't required cause it was with the idea of this 2nd Pattern being a standard Armed Forces issue item, ach who knows :lol:.

bvd_70ssh_18w_1.jpg

Here's the 2nd Pattern worn by Basic Trainees as the initial issue, 1965, the one were we see U.S. ARMY Tapes already sewn on, without the NAME Tapes, these were kinda rare, haven't seen these around, unissued 2nd Patterns with the tape sewn on by the manufacturer, 1st Pattern yes, 3rd Pattern yes, both the early full color tape and the post 1968 subdued tape.

Fort Leonard Wood April 1965

gt.jpg.00562cb39f35cc4845da04a2248ce5aa.jpg

Fort Knox May 1965

gty.jpg.a2b7d80a49f2925bd33a1669c2d57b45.jpg

15 hours ago, beefheart said:

Hi @patches, thank you for the information. Just realized that the lettering it's very identical to early Vietnamese embroidered tape.

I also provide the better picture of the tape and also the shirt below if you have any comment.

It's 173rd abn (right), 101st abn (left)

IMG_0055.jpg

PhotoRoom_20211120_11709 PM-compressed.jpg

Pure Guess on my part, shirt may now of been worn at Ft Campbell Kentucky by a vet of the 173rd and he took his his shirt home he wore there, period 66-67, was a Spec 4 then a Sgt, we see Ghosting of the Sgt stripes, also see Ghosting  of the 173rd Patch under the 101 one, so switched the 173rd or a new 173rd to the combat side,,  a stretch would be he was in the 175rd but transferred to the 101 in country (That's the 1st Brigade 101st Airborne Division,,1st Brigade 101st Airborne Division was in Vietnam July 1965, while the rest of the 101 was at Campbell, and heads over there in late 1967).

• 4 weeks later...
MinorInHistory

So using the above information, would this be a pretty good representation of the progression of tape styles during Vietnam? 

2A3D167C-7B25-454D-9951-7C7D5103EB37.jpeg

6 hours ago, MinorInHistory said:

So using the above information, would this be a pretty good representation of the progression of tape styles during Vietnam? 

2A3D167C-7B25-454D-9951-7C7D5103EB37.jpeg

Yes. But the Embroidered NAME Tapes on White U.S. ARMY one in Color and the embroidered U.S. ARMY one in Subdued will be Private Purchase types. The Woven Color and Subdued U.S. ARMY and the Stamped Subdued NAME Tape will be the Issue type. 

Here's a 1967 photo in South Vietnam of General Harold Johnson Chief of Staff U.S. Army in his fatigues wearing the Issue Stamped on OD Web U.S. ARMY and NAME Tapes, this showing that these could and were worn not only by Trainees who got them issued , but by just about everyone then when they first came out, with men like General Johnson and other permanent party people, these were gotten by them at Clothing Sales Stores Army Wide.

harold johnson 1967.jpg

On 12/19/2021 at 9:52 AM, patches said:

Yes. But the Embroidered NAME Tapes on White U.S. ARMY one in Color and the embroidered U.S. ARMY one in Subdued will be Private Purchase types. The Woven Color and Subdued U.S. ARMY and the Stamped Subdued NAME Tape will be the Issue type. 

hi hello, just want to clarify sir. 

meaning that the Embroidered US Army tape in subdued, is actually private purchased? Not issue. 

i have one in exact style

(actually its the sateen shirt from the very same person of my 2 jungle jacket 101s airborne)

F6D659F7-9DD4-4565-BC6F-CC7260D3B36C.jpeg

16 hours ago, beefheart said:

hi hello, just want to clarify sir. 

meaning that the Embroidered US Army tape in subdued, is actually private purchased? Not issue. 

i have one in exact style

(actually its the sateen shirt from the very same person of my 2 jungle jacket 101s airborne)

F6D659F7-9DD4-4565-BC6F-CC7260D3B36C.jpeg

There really will be two private purchases as far as this Subdued U.S. ARMY Tape, this one above with the border, which were pre made and sold at Civilian Army-Navy Stores and the PXs, and the ones with both the U.S. ARMY and NAME Tape which were made to order at PX Tailors on Army Posts, the cloth used on these were varied.

• 4 weeks later...

Two great studies, the Private Purchase Army-Navy Store/PX Subdued U.S. ARMY Tape, with OD Border being worn. This shows that this particular Subdued Tape was out and being worn by the Summer of 1967, probably a little earlier, because as you see are from the film The Green Berets, which was shot at Ft Benning in the summer of 67.

Actual Green Berets in the beginning of the movie.

1822573381_green_berets_photo4(1).jpg.8bedf7c5b45c3a3f7bcaa88a10e0af77.jpg

2 minutes ago, patches said:

Two great studies, the Private Purchase Army-Navy Store/PX Subdued U.S. ARMY Tape, with OD Border being worn. This shows that this particular Subdued Tape was out and being worn by the Summer of 1967, probably a little earlier, because as you see are from the film The Green Berets, which was shot at Ft Benning in the summer of 67.

Captain MacDaniel (Actor Edward Faulkner)

EdFaulkner22-640.jpgedward faukler 2.jpg

edward faulkner.jpg

1 hour ago, patches said:

They were being worn at Bragg in 1966.

10 hours ago, MinorInHistory said:

Following this topic with great interest. What about these three?

5BBD6AD5-2C9C-4263-8A12-BA90A81926C2.jpeg

Late-sh 60s into 70s. a shot of the whole shirt the bottom two are sewn on would help.

MinorInHistory
On 1/17/2022 at 9:48 PM, patches said:

Late-sh 60s into 70s. a shot of the whole shirt the bottom two are sewn on would help.

Actually, these are two separate shirts:

0C334E73-41A2-45A2-8A8E-0D059620DE3F.jpeg

2A77F093-EB03-4A94-BDD6-3BB328660374.jpeg

13 minutes ago, MinorInHistory said:

Actually, these are two separate shirts:

0C334E73-41A2-45A2-8A8E-0D059620DE3F.jpeg

2A77F093-EB03-4A94-BDD6-3BB328660374.jpeg

These shirts were worn when this Taylor was assigned to the AIR DEFENSE ARTILLERY CENTER AND SCHOOL at Ft Bliss Texas, bet he was in Korea before this, a check of the one shirt with the Korean writing on the tape for ghosting of a South Korea based unit shoulder patch, maybe the other shirt too.

s-00.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

This photo is identified as being at Fort Dix, New Jersey in 1972. Notice the DI on the right is wearing nylon name and ARMY tapes with no rank insignia. I have seen a lot of discussion in different forums about how the nylon tapes - especially nylon name tapes - were mostly considered to be an indicator of a basic trainee and soldiers would frequently rush to replace them with the cotton embroidered versions after graduation from basic. 

The DI on the left is wearing a nylon ARMY tape with embroidered name tape. Also of note is that he has his first initial after his last name on his name tape. You occasionally see this practice, but I have never been certain as to why some soldiers would do it while most would not. Also, it seems much more common on Navy fatigues than any other branch from what I have seen. Any ideas?

Army Tapes.Nylon.Drill Instructors.Fort Dix.1972.jpg

Cobra 6 Actual

Curiously, Sean, the Drill Sergeant on the right also does not have a Drill Sergeant Badge (“The Pumpkin”) on his right pocket, either.

He looks more like a trainee than a Drill Sgt.   No SSI, no DS pocket badge, no rank, no starch, not even ironed.  Weird how high up his pants are, almost to the jacket pocket!

6 hours ago, e19 said:

He looks more like a trainee than a Drill Sgt.   No SSI, no DS pocket badge, no rank, no starch, not even ironed.  Weird how high up his pants are, almost to the jacket pocket!

Yes that's my thought too, he was permitted to wear perhaps this drill sergeant spare hat for a snap shot.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/30/2022 at 9:53 PM, patches said:

Yes that's my thought too, he was permitted to wear perhaps this drill sergeant spare hat for a snap shot.

.....perhaps an outstanding recruit? A photo maybe taken either right before or after graduation. Or might be he's a cousin or an old hometown friend that just happened to land in the BT group? 

• 4 months later...
On 1/30/2022 at 10:16 AM, seanmc1114 said:

This photo is identified as being at Fort Dix, New Jersey in 1972. Notice the DI on the right is wearing nylon name and ARMY tapes with no rank insignia. I have seen a lot of discussion in different forums about how the nylon tapes - especially nylon name tapes - were mostly considered to be an indicator of a basic trainee and soldiers would frequently rush to replace them with the cotton embroidered versions after graduation from basic. 

The DI on the left is wearing a nylon ARMY tape with embroidered name tape. Also of note is that he has his first initial after his last name on his name tape. You occasionally see this practice, but I have never been certain as to why some soldiers would do it while most would not. Also, it seems much more common on Navy fatigues than any other branch from what I have seen. Any ideas?

Army Tapes.Nylon.Drill Instructors.Fort Dix.1972.jpg

On 1/30/2022 at 12:11 PM, Cobra 6 Actual said:

Curiously, Sean, the Drill Sergeant on the right also does not have a Drill Sergeant Badge (“The Pumpkin”) on his right pocket, either.

On 1/30/2022 at 3:40 PM, e19 said:

On 1/30/2022 at 9:53 PM, patches said:

Okay, I'll try again.

Drill Sergeant.Nylon Name Tape.jpg

Thought i'd share all my US Army tape, all original sewn to the jacket.

It have wide varieties from US made to theater made (both embroidered and hand sewn).

Mostly from early to late Nam, all wartime period.

These are the best pictures i could take, if you need some close-up or comment just let me know!
Thank you.

67BAF584-9609-4F30-A39E-587AF782560A.jpg

21016374-597F-4630-B70D-057994A638EA.jpg

E192F534-D4C3-4E08-B3A9-A11478BA8023.jpg

DCFC5B36-943D-4F23-B04C-AA6FFA1F0C5D.jpg

4BC35760-2A64-4331-BA68-1918CE37DF49.jpg