POW dog tags?

willysmb44

I was recently asked to do a talk about WW2 POWs and to display what few relevant items I have (will fill out the rest with basic US stuff). I don’t have any POW dog tags in my collection (and I doubt I’d display them in public even if I did for fear someone would make off with them), and I started to wonder if anyone makes reproductions of them. I’d love to have a set made as this subject has come up from time to time.

Just like those that make US dog tags, there is usually someone around making tags for the German re-enactors at events. Just go to a good sized event and have a set made. You could also probably Google search for someone who makes them mail order. I got my POW tags at Indiantown Gap some years back.

Tom

Just like those that make US dog tags, there is usually someone around making tags for the German re-enactors at events. Just go to a good sized event and have a set made. You could also probably Google search for someone who makes them mail order. I got my POW tags at Indiantown Gap some years back.
Thanks Tom, but weren’t standard German tags oval and the POW ones rectangle in shape? None of the original POW tags I have seen were oval. Does anyone know if US POWs were issued German oval tags but marked for Stalags? If so, that would be a most easy thing to get!

Dug POW dogtags from Europe are cheap and can be had for $10-20 on Ebay. Sellers from the US have them all the time.

Never occured to me to even look. Thanks!

I just missed out on 4 dug POW tags, they were blank and only went for about 20€ for the group,,,they were not in that bad of shape eather.

Thanks Tom, but weren’t standard German tags oval and the POW ones rectangle in shape? None of the original POW tags I have seen were oval. Does anyone know if US POWs were issued German oval tags but marked for Stalags? If so, that would be a most easy thing to get!

One of the guys in our living history group received a POW tag direct from the Vet who had worn it and it was oval. Perhaps the exception that proves the rule?

Tom