DUI's missing the pin

StevenL

I've held off on posting about this because I thought some people might not like the idea of replacing the pin on a DUI but I'd like to share and hopefully no one will be bothered. Replacing the pin makes it easier for me because of the way I display mine. When I bought this one the pin was missing and all I did to replace it was remove the pin from an Army Good Conduct Medal ribbon bar and place it on the DUI. It fit perfectly and all I needed was a leatherman tool and a sheet of paper (to ensure the pliers didn't leave marks on the metal). Doing this makes it easy to repair a broken DUI as long as just the pin is missing and as long as it came from a period ribbon bar it doesn't seem like that big of a deal, at least not to me.

You can also reuse the ribbon material from the ribbon bar. Flatten it, cut it to the right length and stick it with the matching medal and you've got that extra piece of ribbon that many medals used to come with. :thumbsup:

I hope this can be of use for someone else.

IMG_0793.jpg

IMG_0792.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Good idea, the GC’s are a dime a dozen! :thumbsup: I have also pulled the pin from a broken DI that I kept for parts. Years ago I was lucky enough to have found a guy at one of our local gun shows that had some NOS pins and parts and bought a few for the future. You never know when you find that rare DI just missing the pin or barrel clasp!

Mark