Collar disc

erctut1

I have this picture of my Great Gramps that I have posted a billion times on here. I have been trying to magnify his collar discs. I am pretty sure the US disc has a 4 under it. If it is a 4 what does that mean? He was from Chicago, Illinois.

It means his unit was numbered "4." You need to find out what type of unit it was- infantry regiment, field artillery regiment, engineer battalion, etc. The other disk in the fuzzy picture looks like an infantry disk, so his unit is the 4th Infantry. The letter under the crossed rifles indicates the company within the regiment.

It means his unit was numbered "4." You need to find out what type of unit it was- infantry regiment, field artillery regiment, engineer battalion, etc. The other disk in the fuzzy picture looks like an infantry disk, so his unit is the 4th Infantry. The letter under the crossed rifles indicates the company within the regiment.
He was in the infantry. I'm pretty sure that is a C under the rifles but I guess it could be an O. Was there such thing as an O company?

He was in the infantry. I'm pretty sure that is a C under the rifles but I guess it could be an O. Was there such thing as an O company?

Not in an Infantry Regiment. There have been "O" Batteries in Artillery units. It is a "C" I'm certain. Do you know if he was in the 4th Infantry of the Army or the Illinois National Guard?

Not in an Infantry Regiment. There have been "O" Batteries in Artillery units. It is a "C" I'm certain. Do you know if he was in the 4th Infantry of the Army or the Illinois National Guard?
I'm pretty sure it's a C also. I have no idea what unit he was in. This is a big breakthrough in researching him. He died in 1925 from TB that was brought on by being gassed in the war. He is pretty much a mystery.

For WW1, the 4th Infantry of the Illinois National Guard was reorganized as or assigned to the 130th Infantry of the US Army and was part of the 33rd Division.