Vietnam era? Ranger shirt

mdk014

Picked this up off Ebay last month. What can you tell me about it? Vietnam era?

I like every thing sewn on the chest, just not sure about the Follow Me patch. Right period?

post-4223-1283219787.jpg

Looks good to me. Early 1970's I'd say.

Out of curiosity, how come it has color Ranger tab while the rest is subdued? :think:

I dont think the Ranger Department wore these in the 70's. Take a look at the pictures of the instructors pictured in some the class photos on the RTB website.

Is there a combat SSI?

It looks to be a nice ranger qualified instructor at the Infantry School.

I agree with Gil, early to mid 70's.

Ranger Instructors are on Jump Status. Where's the Airborne tab?

As Mr X pointed out, this is a Ranger qualified Infantry officer assigned to the Infantry School, not part of the Ranger School cadre. I've seen other uniforms of the period with color Ranger tabs in conjunction with subdued insignia, so this isn't that uncommon.

Ranger Instructors are on Jump Status. Where's the Airborne tab?

This guy isn't necessarly a Ranger Instructor.

He could be an infantry instructor who happens to have done the 61-day long Ranger School course and thus has been awarded the permanent individual skill ranger tab.

The Airborne tab is not an undividual award. That is the parachute wings. The airborne tab designated an airborne unit. Remember you dont even have to be airborne qualified to wear the airbone tab, just a member of an airborne unit.

This soldier could have served in Airborne, Ranger, Special Forces and Infantry units. Without a combat patch its pretty hard to guess which.

Here is a link to a classic Vietnam War Staff Officer 'Chairborne' Ranger.

Note he wears the Ranger Course Graduate Tab and does not have his parachute wings.

LINK HERE

This guy isn't necessarly a Ranger Instructor.

He could be an infantry instructor who happens to have done the 61-day long Ranger School course and thus has been awarded the permanent individual skill ranger tab.

The Airborne tab is not an undividual award. That is the parachute wings. The airborne tab designated an airborne unit. Remember you dont even have to be airborne qualified to wear the airbone tab, just a member of an airborne unit.

This soldier could have served in Airborne, Ranger, Special Forces and Infantry units. Without a combat patch its pretty hard to guess which.

PM inbound.

Looks fine to me as well, and I've also seen similar setups. As mentioned, a 1970's patch.

And where I work, I see lots of folks running around with the 'Airborne' tab above their SSI, who aren't Jump Qual'd.

Here's the other one.

Is there a combat SSI?

It looks to be a nice ranger qualified instructor at the Infantry School.

I agree with Gil, early to mid 70's.

post-4223-1283343838.jpg

Picked this up off Ebay last month. What can you tell me about it? Vietnam era?

I like every thing sewn on the chest, just not sure about the Follow Me patch. Right period?

The shirt looks original up to the point where someone added the Infantry school (Follow me) SSI and full color Ranger tab. I believe the only people authorized to wear the full color Ranger tab at this time were Ranger instructors, and as someone has already pointed out- they are all on jump status and wear the Airborne tab below the Ranger tab. I have quite a few original photos of Ranger instructors with both tabs. Also the tab and SSI look new while the rest are weathered. Just my 2 cents