How to distinguish WWI USMC gear?

m1a2u2

I've been a long time collector of militaria but have recently started collected pre WWII field gear. Is there a page that discusses how to ID USMC field gear versus army (besides the obvious "USMC" markings.

Did earlier equipment, M1903 for example, also use the EGA snaps on certain equipment. The main focus of my collection is what the Marines were wearing during the early parts of the Caribbean Banana Wars. 1900-1920's I have a bunch of pictures but the small details that distinguish the items as "Marine" are not evident.

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks!

I've been a long time collector of militaria but have recently started collected pre WWII field gear. Is there a page that discusses how to ID USMC field gear versus army (besides the obvious "USMC" markings.

Did earlier equipment, M1903 for example, also use the EGA snaps on certain equipment. The main focus of my collection is what the Marines were wearing during the early parts of the Caribbean Banana Wars. 1900-1920's I have a bunch of pictures but the small details that distinguish the items as "Marine" are not evident.

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks!

The Marines had a Marine Corps snap for the pre WWI gear.

try this link

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...?showtopic=5406

It shows a canteen cover with the MArine snaps. Beware this stuff is pricey.

Bob