Magazine belt for an M1 Carbine?

chesapeake

There is some on going discussions at to the actual use of the USMC waist belt with snaps.I have one in my collection and they turn up frequently.Mine is set up as the one posted with the carbine pouches but I have been told they were intended or also used for the small anti-tank mine and pouch the USMC used.I have the pouches and I missed one of the mines(it was a blue trainer/practice mine)at Iloa this year'

RD

I think we already established this fact. ;)

Opps, you corrected your post as I was responding. :lol:

Good to know I'm not the only one who starts shooting after the target has already been destroyed!

Here's a pic of the USMC version. It would hold five of the snap on M1 carbine pouches. It may be one of those experimental or limited use items.

post-9352-1283207551.jpg

100% made for the mine bag's..

Here's a pic of the USMC version. It would hold five of the snap on M1 carbine pouches. It may be one of those experimental or limited use items.

post-9352-1283207551.jpg

I have seen these around, but like everything else I try to find out about, I came up empty. Whether they were used for carrying mines or not, it would be a great way to carry extra ammo. I would be willing to bet that at some point somebody got one and turned into a carbine ammo belt.

I have seen these around, but like everything else I try to find out about, I came up empty. Whether they were used for carrying mines or not, it would be a great way to carry extra ammo. I would be willing to bet that at some point somebody got one and turned into a carbine ammo belt.

They will hold the pouches but the fact remains that they were made for the mine bags. ;)

Most when found are mint.I did happen to get one in a group that was actually threaded though the belt loops of a set of P44 camo trousers

RD

It's my understanding that the bandoleers and stripper clips for .30 Carbine ammo came out at the end, or after the war. Guys issued the Carbine in WWII would load the mags from 50rd cardboard boxes, just as they would .45 ammo for pistols or SMGs.

craig_pickrall
Thanks for the pictures. Where did you find the M36 belts with snaps already in them? All i seem to be able to find is the regular/original belts

I have found several of those belts over the years. They never were real common but you could find an occassional one at a show or in a surplus store.

craig_pickrall

If you know what an M36 looks like and you have an M36 and an M61 side by side there is no question.

Deceased forum member Webcat long ago told me that, based on his research, the multi-snap trousers belt and waterproof bags were created expressly for the antitank mines, with the idea that a belt (or plural belts) be laid across a likely path of an enemy vehicle and then, from cover off to the side of the path, be tugged laterally by the Marine user to line up a mine with a track, at the last minute. The belt(s) could be tied to field wire, fishing line or whatever for more stand-off room.

He also said that the belt-bags were used with plastic explosives for demolition work, wrapping and tying the belt(s) around pillars, posts, etc. But this was an expedient, not why the belt and bags were created.

Many of the belts/bags were made for use in the expected invasion of Japan. And stored away after that did not occur.

Nobody in the USMC asked for them over the ensuing decades, so they sat in depots until the 1980s.

Captainofthe7th
If you know what an M36 looks like and you have an M36 and an M61 side by side there is no question.

It's not clear to me whether or not the m36 belts were made for WWII or if they are old stock used to create an M61 belt. I looked into it here on the forums but I didn't find an answer. Are there any period photographs of the snappy m36?

Rob

craig_pickrall

As far as I know no one has yet to find a photo of the M36 belt with added snaps in use during WW2, Korea or Vietnam. You see some of the belts with the WW2 style snaps and others with the same snaps as used on the M61 belts.

• 3 years later...
ViewfinderGyrene

Thanks for posting! Because I saw this thread, I gleaned a unique idea for my setup at a reenacatment several weeks ago, your post saved my

weekend :D