Simply Awful!

Dirty175

snake36bravo

Looks way too much like a State Troopers uniform. :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

Glad I got out when I did. I would despise that damn hump job of an ensemble.

Speaking of Army stupidity, I remember with the Kevlar the story was a General did not like the weight of the Kevlar as compared to the M1 he wore his whole career. Too light he thought. The answer was to place a steel strip down the center of the helmet from rim to brim so he could 'feel' it offered better protection.

Looking at this I imagine someone from law enforcement had a hand in this design. Either that or someone spent way too much time watching Buck Rogers in the 21st Century which means sashes for medals are next.

post-2582-1283188292.jpg

In my humble opinion, the USN officers' Khakis, with black and gold accessories and combination cap was/is a killer uniform!! As for the USAF's "lounge suit"...the less said about that, the better!

Sabrejet :thumbsup:

Cobrahistorian
Could it be that something other than the type of service uniform might be at play there; like esprit de corps, tradition, etc???

Esprit de corps in the ARMY????!!! There will be no such thing! Hell, they won't even let aviators wear unit patches anymore!

The beatings will continue until morale improves.

While I think the degradation of the blue uniform is terrible, I really can't understand this call for "pinks and greens". Yes it looked good, but we're talking about a uniform that was optional wear, for officer's only, for what...twenty years or so? And the Ike jacket? The Army wore that as a temporary expedient that was only supposed to last until the end of WWII, but got stretched out until they finalized a new uniform to about 16 years total wear. And it was copied from the Brits too (no offense to them intended). Neither of these uniforms has much tradition in the US Army. The Army Green uniform was worn for 54 years! Ignoring the change from standing collar to roll collar, the Olive Drab service coat was worn for approximately 50 years. Now that's tradition. The Army should wear a decent looking four pocket service coat in some shade of green or OD as a "service uniform". Keep the blues as a dress uniform.

And if you want to know who to blame for all the recent Army uniform changes, it's GEN Peter Schoomaker. He pushed through all the changes when he was Chief of Staff and I know for a fact that the ASU originated directly from him.

Our post commander was wearing the "class B" version of the ASU last week at a meeting and all I could think of was: mall security guard.

IMO, Airborne units should wear TWs (long sleeved in cooler weather, short in warm weather), berets and bloused boots. Add an Ike type or fleece jacket for cold weather and they good to go. They are troopers not businessmen. Suits don't look good with bloused boots.

Hey, the Navy's going retro...maybe the Army will follow suit? :thumbsup:
I never actually liked the dress khaki uniform. But, they are better than any white uniform. At least CPOs are wearing crows and hashmarks, and not some "kinda Officer" shoulder boards (no offence Dave). As for that supposed "Dress White Jumper", did any one onthe unform board look at a book? They traditionally had blue collars and cuffs with white piping and stars. There was a short time (1875 to 1883) where the Navy had blue piping on white like this thing. but for the most part, it was always blue.

I agree, the uniforms really have nothing to do with recruiting or for that matter retention. Srevice uniforms are seldom worn any more by most active duty people as to be pretty much not worth the time to be messing with. Thankfully, my beloved Navy has maintained enough sanity to hang onto the jumper uniforms for dress, but the rest is crap. Army and AF, sorry, you had some really sharp uniforms, now, you're just like the Navy, lost in a sea of pointless uniforms. At least the Marines have stayed stedy.

Steve Hesson

I agree, the uniforms really have nothing to do with recruiting or for that matter retention. Srevice uniforms are seldom worn any more by most active duty people as to be pretty much not worth the time to be messing with. Thankfully, my beloved Navy has maintained enough sanity to hang onto the jumper uniforms for dress, but the rest is crap. Army and AF, sorry, you had some really sharp uniforms, now, you're just like the Navy, lost in a sea of pointless uniforms. At least the Marines have stayed stedy.

Steve Hesson

It's really sad whenever I see a ceremony that has service members from all services attending and the Army, AF and Navy are wearing crappy digital camo uniforms or blue/black polyester trousers and white shirts. And the Marines? Dress Blues...always. And that hasn't changed (more or less) in design in what, a hundred years? I hate to say it, but the Marines know what tradition means, everybody else just pretends.

If it's an example of tradition you want then look no further than the British Army, RAF and Royal Navy. No changes for change's sake. Uniforms may have been "tweaked" a little over the decades but remain essentially as they were. All branches wear the same camo patterns...DPM verdant and desert...no "fancy" stuff. The new camo being trialled in Afghanistan looks, at a glance, like Multicam, but it is in fact a British pattern.

Sabrejet :salute:

Historically, the Army uniform (dress, service, and fatigue) has always been blue. Green uniforms didn't come into play until 1902.
Sorry for the Rant

Historically we used Muskets as well, but no one wants to fight with those anymore. This was all about Schoomaker wanting us to look like some halfazzed She wore a Yellow Ribbon movie. EVERY survey done that I can remember going back to the 1980's had Joe asking for the WWII Color, Pinks and Greens, Khakis, or even Ike Jackets again. He ignored it and shoved that 5th Avenue doorman uniform down the Armys throat just like the garbage ACU and Beret by Shinseki.

We are in the middle of a War on two fronts and money gets wasted on this garbage. The whoe reason Class "A"s were looked down upon was the Army deciding to make it cheaper and chaeper looking with polyester till it looked like something from J.C.Penny.

If I were Sec Def I would rid this ASAP, fire the idjits who approved it and rid ACUPAT immediately

1. George Bush could have been what JFK is to the Special Forces community; he could have saved the Black Beret for the Rangers.

2. The ACU debacle could have easily been avoided- I proposed amending AR 670-1 to allow Soldiers to modify their BDU's and DCU' for field use at their

own expense.

3. The "moisture wicking" liner in desert boots doesnt work.

4. Nobody asked for speedlaces or a padded collar or black cordura instead of green canvas on their jungle boots.

5. Khaki is distinctly a military color.

6. The ASU requires more upkeep and expense than the Class-A. Schoomaker and Preston are solely responsible for the ASU and ACU.

7. MOLLE Rucksacks are non-functioning and uncomfortable.

Aren't these things trialled by troops in the field before being adopted army-wide? Isn't there a mechanism for glitches which become evident to be passed on to the people at Natick and those at the DLA who are responsible for equipment design and procurement? Also, isn't there some wry army joke about equipment being made by the lowest bidder? Many a true word is spoken in jest...as the saying goes.

Sabrejet

Aren't these things trialled by troops in the field before being adopted army-wide? Isn't there a mechanism for glitches which become evident to be passed on to the people at Natick and those at the DLA who are responsible for equipment design and procurement? Also, isn't there some wry army joke about equipment being made by the lowest bidder? Many a true word is spoken in jest...as the saying goes.

Sabrejet

Yes, and no. There are many things that are trialled extensively, including a BDU/DCU replacement. That's what the Close Combat Uniform was. It went through rotations at JRTC and was deployed with Stryker Bde's to Iraq. But, in the end, if the COS says "this is what we're doing" then, guess what? That's what the Army does. Schoomaker rammed through all this stuff, ignoring advise, surveys, tests, etc., etc., etc. He only wanted to deal with two uniforms, so that's what the Army got.

The low bidder thing is common in all of the US government, but is only partially true. Sometimes they actually do the opposite.

I actually saw my first officer wearing the blues just the other day. She was a female, and was wearing no jacket...thus, it was blue trousers white short sleeved blouse, 2" (or 3"?) epaulets (with an embarrasingly large bullion Colonel's bird on them) and a black beret. For as much as I'm "into" uniforms, I couldn’t figure out what she was from a distance...I thought maybe a NATO officer or something (no kidding). Up close, it dawned on me that it was the new uniform. Wow. The green looked so nice...

Dave

Did she have the waist insignia?

newblues.jpg

I'm really starting to think it would have been better if the Army adopted the Star Trek uniforms that were in the original uniform survey for this mess.

..and no, I'm not joking...they were photos of actual Star Trek uniforms.

Good lord...I didn't notice those! Ouch! She was very short and small anyway, so it made everything look even larger than life. I do think that her bullion colonel's eagles had to have been 125% of the authorized size though...they literally stretched all the way across the shoulder strap!

Dave

Sorry for the Rant

Historically we used Muskets as well, but no one wants to fight with those anymore. This was all about Schoomaker wanting us to look like some halfazzed She wore a Yellow Ribbon movie. EVERY survey done that I can remember going back to the 1980's had Joe asking for the WWII Color, Pinks and Greens, Khakis, or even Ike Jackets again. He ignored it and shoved that 5th Avenue doorman uniform down the Armys throat just like the garbage ACU and Beret by Shinseki.

We are in the middle of a War on two fronts and money gets wasted on this garbage. The whoe reason Class "A"s were looked down upon was the Army deciding to make it cheaper and chaeper looking with polyester till it looked like something from J.C.Penny.

If I were Sec Def I would rid this ASAP, fire the idjits who approved it and rid ACUPAT immediately

You missed the point of my statement. The Army uniform was blue for 127 years, the statement was made that the green uniform is steeped in history. Green uniforms have about as much history as blue uniforms. I realize this forum concentrates on the 20th Century American military, but Army "tradition" is a bit older.

I'm really starting to think it would have been better if the Army adopted the Star Trek uniforms that were in the original uniform survey for this mess.

..and no, I'm not joking...they were photos of actual Star Trek uniforms.

who was designated to wear the "red shirt"? :blink:

Terry

Then enjoy the new blues because very few actually do, history or not. Why don't we go with Tricorns, Shakos, and no pockets on the blouses. It's a Garbage uniform. The Blues we had were much better, but again Schooomaker wanted his John Wayne outfit for everyone, and Screw the Troops. All in a War where that money could have gone to better things, like Improved Magazines, and such.

Stylin'...

Well, given the options of today, I like them. I also think the digi cammo on the female uniform is at least as effective as any of the newer patterns in use :thumbsup:

Steve Hesson

Brian Dentino
Stylin'...

Indeed, that new Mars Pattern digi is going to be very effective when we send her and the rest of her Brigade to fight the Martians.......the RED Planet you know! As for these new Army uniforms...well, all I can say is what the heck was somebody thinking? This is the beaurocratic higherachy of the US Govt/Military at work. Shoot, they probably spent millions on commitees and scientific panels to determine what would be the most inpractical, despised, and ugly uniforms that they could come up with. Afterall, they need jobs too and this gave them something to do!

Man the "new blues" are really aweful! "Here you go soldier, be proud and do not disservice this uniform." Soldier: "I'm not sure I could, Sir!" :salute: :blushing:

Stylin'...

So it appears that the United States Army is boldly going where no army has gone before (i.e. straight to the Thrift Shop?)

Sabrejet :rolleyes: