Rust on canvas

LtRGFRANK

post-551-1282938955.jpg

Picked up a USMC Boyt 45 dated 41 pack today. As you can see its a little rusty. How best to remove the rust? Thanks Robert

I've heard from other members that WINK will do the trick...

WINK? Haven't heard of that before. Is it avaiable in the US? Robert

I have worked for marrtott for 23 years as a building engineer, we always had on site laundrys. they had a chemical that was design for one thing removing rust from any cloth. i used it on the same type of canvis as you have shown. you could watch the rust disapear before your eyes! i dont remember the name, talk to some one in the dry cleaning business.

Wink will remove 90% of that rust stain however be careful when using on canvas cloth as it could turn it gray. Strap material and clothing aren't a problem but I've found that Wink will discolor some canvas cloth. May want to test it on an inconspicuous area first. This comes from over 15 years experience of using this stuff.

Bryan

I used wink on a canvas meat can pouch and it caused the yellowish tint of the canvas to disappear with the rust. You have to be careful with it.

post-551-1283119796.jpg

post-551-1282938955.jpg

Picked up a USMC Boyt 45 dated 41 pack today. As you can see its a little rusty. How best to remove the rust? Thanks Robert

BEFORE AND AFTER USING WINK. Love that stuff. Thanks for the advice. Robert

General Apathy
post-551-1283119796.jpg

BEFORE AND AFTER USING WINK. Love that stuff. Thanks for the advice. Robert

Hi Robert, certainly resuscitated that pack back to life. :thumbsup:

Lewis

Thanks for all the help, advice, and your comment Lewis. I will look closer at rusty items in the future knowing now how to remove the rust. I've passed on items in the past because of rust but now will pick them up. And their always cheap. Robert

The simplest way to remove rust stains is a mixture of salt and lemon juice - and placed in strong sunlight to let the UV start the chemical reaction.

TheGrayGhost

That Wink stuff really did work great! I will have to be on the lookout for rust stained gear in the future!

Thanks for the info.

@jgawne: Does the salt and lemon juice work as well as LtRGFRANKs results with the Wink? Does your method have any side effects?