Feet don't fail me now!

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope this is where to post these. A few years ago a neighbor gave me these. I haven't done anything with them not being sure what they are. My neighbor told me his father was issued these as an adviser early in the VN war (1962 maybe?). My neighbor told me he had them resoled and wore them also. post-1496-0-84636900-1376947054.jpgI have seen them referred to as M-45 Tropical Combat Boots and also as "Okinawa" boots. I had a hard time getting a picture of the markings and some of the numbers are worn. They day "DA-30-28 (rest unreadable) APR. 3, 1952 NYQMPA 9R 15041" in three lines. Any ideas about them?

Dennis (Bertmedals)

Collecting WWI AEF relics, artifacts, and memorabilia

First pattern tropical boots...worn in VN during the early adviser period. Look here...

http://www.okiboots.com/

"We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be. We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender!"

Winston Churchill

" Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans."

John Winston Lennon

donation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

• 4 weeks later...

Thought this might be the best place to post this!

I got these a few weeks back, original Endicott & Johnson late war(?) jump boots

I've never seen any others like this because they have Endicott & Johnson stamped onto the out side of each boot plus a rough out tounge.

If anyone knows anything else about these, i.e if they are indeed war time boots please let me know as I'm eager to find out exactly what they are.

What would make me believe they are war time boots are the following:

- Beveled heel

- 12 hole

- Correct toe cap

- Russet colour (although they have been dyed black you can see where it is wearing though)

Thanks,

Ben

post-109508-0-28815000-1379146443.jpg

post-109508-0-74700400-1379146462.jpg

Reenacting and collecting from the age of 9!

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Very well made boots and in such great condition!

"We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be. We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender!"

Winston Churchill

" Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans."

John Winston Lennon

donation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

Excellent subject, guys, and a great reference as several have stated. Footwear is one of the hardest pieces of militaria to find, simply because they tend to be one of the most used and abused. Keep in mind that a lot of the soldiers of both world wars had never even owned a pair of shoes before entering the service, so when they came home, they usually brought their shoes/boots with them and wore them until they fell apart. And more than quite a few were reissued for many years after WW2. Over the years I've had several pairs of WW2-era brown jump boots and M1943 boots that had been dyed black following the changeover in leather color about 1955-56 [i remember talking to a guy years ago who was drafted about this time, and recalled being issued two pairs of brown combat boots and one bottle of black shoe dye!]

On the subject of M1943 boots, my father served in the US Army during the Korean War and was issued M43 boots in their original configuration. He said they had to soak the roughout bottoms in lighter fluid and set them on fire to burn the "fuzz" off, then had to spit-shine them by working numerous coats of brown shoe polish into the leather. Leave it up to the Army to issue you a pair of what amounted to suede shoes and then tell you to polish them.

Johan, on the 4 buckle rubber arctic overshoes with the 1934 date, I noticed they had an ECF or ECW contract number--this indicated "Emergency Conservation Work" and were procured for use by the Civilian Conservation Corps [CCC]. About 1936-37 the nomenclature was changed slightly and items procured under CCC contract had CIV in the contract number. Many of these CCC contract items were pressed into military service once the US entered the war.

Alan

Johan, on the 4 buckle rubber arctic overshoes with the 1934 date, I noticed they had an ECF or ECW contract number--this indicated "Emergency Conservation Work" and were procured for use by the Civilian Conservation Corps [CCC]. About 1936-37 the nomenclature was changed slightly and items procured under CCC contract had CIV in the contract number. Many of these CCC contract items were pressed into military service once the US entered the war.

Alan

Thanks Alan!!

f_poll.gif '29th,Let's Go!' f_poll.gif

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 9 months later...

How would you like to have that box of these buckle tops?

post-34986-0-86916000-1448387230.jpg

Two 2nd Div GIs in April 1951 with a brand new issue of the boots, untreated reverse uppers still, weren't they during Korea that these boots started to be made chromed, right?

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Another footwear related item:

A 1944 Duffel Bag containing 25 pairs of Service Combat Boots ( aka Double Buckle Boots) was sent to the BLUFF City Shoe Reconditioning Factory in Hannibal, Missouri for refurbishment and repair...

Nice accessory Johan! Thanks for posting.

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. "

View my website honoring the men and women of Indiana: http://indianavets.wix.com/indiana-at-war and follow my updates on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/IndianaModernAgeofWar/
Interested in US uniforms? Join the Association of American Military Uniform Collectors! http://aamuc.org/or find us on Facebook! facebook.com/AAMUC.ORG