Feet don't fail me now!

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Love this topic...an Army runs on food..and boots. These are a joy to look at. I haven't ventured into original leather yet, but I do have a couple of pair of Shoe Pacs that I absolutely love.

• 1 month later...

Hey guys Im new to this site and collecting WWII memorabilia and was wondering what wax and color you use to shine your low cut boots. I made the mistake of using brown polish and had to strip mine.

Hey guys Im new to this site and collecting WWII memorabilia and was wondering what wax and color you use to shine your low cut boots. I made the mistake of using brown polish and had to strip mine.

Go to Search, type in: boot polish, then just go down the list of threads. I just did. You'll find what you need.

donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

• 3 months later...

Here is a pair of ankle high rubbers dated 1940.

post-299-1311293049.jpg

post-299-1311293084.jpg

"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his country" George Pattons speech to the Third Army.

donation2008.gif

Canvas and rubber athletic shoes. Lighter constructed and not as durable as the jungle shoes.

post-299-1311293206.jpg

"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his country" George Pattons speech to the Third Army.

donation2008.gif

Canvas and rubber jungle shoes made by HOOD RUBBER CO. dated October 25, 1945.

post-299-1311293457.jpg

post-299-1311293469.jpg

donation2008.gif

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
Here is a pic of a marine who appears to be on tarawa with the same pair of boondockers Sabrejet has. Also note the m1936 mussete bag which could be an army or marine contract,this is the 1st pic i have seen of marines actually using this.

And it's been noted that at this late date of November 1943, his grenades are painted the pre war-early war Yellow.

• 3 weeks later...

Nice lookin' originals Harlan. You don't actually wear them....do you?!

"We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be. We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender!"

Winston Churchill

" Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans."

John Winston Lennon

donation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

Nothing much special, but these are my pair of 44 double buck, rough out boots.

I was amazed by all the mint footwear you guys have!

8-10.jpg

Those boots may be a little more special than you realize. That small rivet next to the bottom lace means that they were manufactured as field shoes and later converted to double buckle boots. They are some of the first DB's made.

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gif

PLEASE NOTE: THIS COMMUNITY MEMBER, SADLY, HAS PASSED AWAY

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

There are reportedly a large number of DB boots which seems to have been dubbed/painted a reddish brown color to make them more durable against wet and cold conditions...

Some say this was done by the French Army, other claim it was done in the US....

Does anyone know???

Johan,

I've always been a foot gear collector and at one time I had several hundred pair of Double Buckle Boots from a major surplus find. In that lot were 50-60 mint pair that had the brown sprayed type finish applied. Inside many of these boots were small slips of paper stating they had been "Reconditioned" by Endicott Johnson in 1951... I tend to think that boots with this type of sprayed coating were just WW2 manufactured boots reconditioned for postwar issue during the Korean War.. In all my years of collecting I have never yet found a set of Buckle Boots with this finish that actually came from a WW2 vet's wartime service...

Kration

Those boots may be a little more special than you realize. That small rivet next to the bottom lace means that they were manufactured as field shoes and later converted to double buckle boots. They are some of the first DB's made.

I have a pair like this, always wondered about the rivet as my other pairs don't have it :thumbsup:

Rich

Collector of Fixed bail M1 Helmets

https://m.facebook.com/M1Helmet/

"The dreams of Empire lure the hearts of Kings - and so men die" Burma, 1944

There are reportedly a large number of DB boots which seems to have been dubbed/painted a reddish brown color to make them more durable against wet and cold conditions...

Some say this was done by the French Army, other claim it was done in the US....

Does anyone know???

Johan,

I've always been a foot gear collector and at one time I had several hundred pair of Double Buckle Boots from a major surplus find. In that lot were 50-60 mint pair that had the brown sprayed type finish applied. Inside many of these boots were small slips of paper stating they had been "Reconditioned" by Endicott Johnson in 1951... I tend to think that boots with this type of sprayed coating were just WW2 manufactured boots reconditioned for postwar issue during the Korean War.. In all my years of collecting I have never yet found a set of Buckle Boots with this finish that actually came from a WW2 vet's wartime service...

Kration

Several years ago the late and great webcat / Carter Rila reported that red stain was added to the DB boots to make them easier to polish. Peace time Army you know. Paint it or polish it.

Here is a pair I have in new condition so you can see the stain fairly well. It is even on the buckles. These ae actually early production DB boots but there is no way to determine when the stain was added.

post-5-1330109433.jpg

post-5-1330109451.jpg

post-5-1330109476.jpg

post-5-1330109484.jpg

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gif

PLEASE NOTE: THIS COMMUNITY MEMBER, SADLY, HAS PASSED AWAY