Feet don't fail me now! Military Footwear

Sabrejet

During WW2, leggings were as distinctive a feature of the G.I's appearance as the M-1 helmet. Here we have three typical variations on that theme.

First, with regular rough-out service shoes.

post-8022-1282906994.jpg post-8022-1282907003.jpg

Gents---quick question---

one of the local ww2 vets who was with the 45th Inf Div in Sicily, Salerno, Anzio and South France told me it was common practice in the 45th to take a pair of leggings and a pair of service shoes to the local cobblers in Italy and have them cut the bottoms of the leggings off and then sew them firmly to the shoes---making pretty much what would look like a Jungle or desert boot---

have any of you seen pictures or have samples of this? Sounds pretty clever and a great idea but I had never heard of that before.

regards, Al

Sgt Saunders
USAAF A-6 shearling flying boots with heated inserts.

Thanks for the shot of the A-6 boots. Those are great.

How about some more USAAF combat foot wear?

Dave

Very unusual footwear, seldom seen. They were replaced with a canvas/leather boot similar in appearance to the buckle boot. Anyone out there got a pair of those they can post?

Sabrejet :thumbsup:

Service Shoes con't

post-203-1283252193.jpg

post-203-1283252198.jpg

Gotta love those minty boots! Thanks for adding to the thread Beast.

Sabrejet :thumbsup:

General Apathy

Hi Forum Members & Readers,

Great topic on footwear here by Sabrejet and other members. :thumbsup:

I was contacted by forum member ' Sabrejet ' ( Ian ) asking if I wanted to add some footwear to this topic he started on WWII leggings and footwear entitled ' Feet don't fail me now!, Service shoe/legging combinations, WW2 '

I resisted for three days saying to Ian that I was really pushed on jobs that needed doing and short on time to go looking in my storage for shoes and boots. Well I relented this morning and went looking through my shoebox under the bed but not really coming up with anything very easily or quickly.

It was then that I was distracted by this item and the thought ' don't think I have seen one of these posted on the forum so far ', so check the link :think:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...mp;#entry628488

ken

Hi Forum Members & Readers,

Great topic on footwear here by Sabrejet and other members. :thumbsup:

I was contacted by forum member ' Sabrejet ' ( Ian ) asking if I wanted to add some footwear to this topic he started on WWII leggings and footwear entitled ' Feet don't fail me now!, Service shoe/legging combinations, WW2 '

I resisted for three days saying to Ian that I was really pushed on jobs that needed doing and short on time to go looking in my storage for shoes and boots. Well I relented this morning and went looking through my shoebox under the bed but not really coming up with anything very easily or quickly.

It was then that I was distracted by this item and the thought ' don't think I have seen one of these posted on the forum so far ', so check the link :think:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...mp;#entry628488

ken

Are you trying to poach my readers Ken?!

Ian :lol:

• 4 weeks later...
Gents---quick question---

one of the local ww2 vets who was with the 45th Inf Div in Sicily, Salerno, Anzio and South France told me it was common practice in the 45th to take a pair of leggings and a pair of service shoes to the local cobblers in Italy and have them cut the bottoms of the leggings off and then sew them firmly to the shoes---making pretty much what would look like a Jungle or desert boot---

have any of you seen pictures or have samples of this? Sounds pretty clever and a great idea but I had never heard of that before.

regards, Al

BTT

Gents---a lot of pictures of every kind of footwear under the sun but nobody here has a sample of the homegrown boot/legging combo I referenced above? I asked Mr Barney about it again this last Sunday and he repeated that it was a common thing in the 45th Division. Would expect it to have also taken place in the 3rd and 34th Divisions as they shared a lot of similar terrain and locations. If anybody in the world has a sample, it would be somebody on this forum--

Al

Generals Eisenhower, Bradley and Collins in Normandy, 1944. Bradley wears Rubber Boots....

BradleyRubberBoots.jpg

A story about Bradley and his rubber boots.

When he received his new rubber boots he was really proud of them, being all shiny black rubber and all. He got an invite to a dance sponsored by a unit's social club held in a prominent village. He was obligated to attend so he did, though he had to wear his brand new rubbers boots since his dress shoes were lost during a recent German air raid. Being an officer he was rather popular on the dance floor, though his mischievous nature came through when he was admiring his brand new rubber boots while dancing with a young lady. He noticed he could see, in the reflection of his brand new rubber boots, up the girls dress and could tell the color of her under wear. As I said his mischievous nature came through when he told the girl he could tell her what color panties she was wearing. She, of course laughed and told him..No possible way!! He guessed correctly and the girl was amazed and asked how he could do that..he replied he was a General and knew all things. As the night progressed he pulled the same routine on several other girls and they were all amazed, though the table were about to turn on him. You see, the girls had got together and talked about the General and his ability to guess the color of their underwear. At that point one the girls, with whom the General had not yet danced, volunteered to pull a prank on Bradley. She went to the ladies room and removed her underwear, and promptly invited the General to the dance floor. As they danced she noticed the General began to perspire. She then mentioned about how the General was able to guess the color of panties the other girls were wearing. He blushed and perspired even more. She pressed the matter and asked Bradley if he could tell the color of her underwear, at which the General began sweating profusely and finally with a look of sadness on his face he said no. The girl laughed and said "I got you because I am not wearing any underwear". The General let out a sigh of relief followed by the biggest smile on his face, saying, "Oh thank God, I though I had a big tear in my brand new rubber boots".

A story about Bradley and his rubber boots.

When he received his new rubber boots he was really proud of them, being all shiny black rubber and all. He got an invite to a dance sponsored by a unit's social club held in a prominent village. He was obligated to attend so he did, though he had to wear his brand new rubbers boots since his dress shoes were lost during a recent German air raid. Being an officer he was rather popular on the dance floor, though his mischievous nature came through when he was admiring his brand new rubber boots while dancing with a young lady. He noticed he could see, in the reflection of his brand new rubber boots, up the girls dress and could tell the color of her under wear. As I said his mischievous nature came through when he told the girl he could tell her what color panties she was wearing. She, of course laughed and told him..No possible way!! He guessed correctly and the girl was amazed and asked how he could do that..he replied he was a General and knew all things. As the night progressed he pulled the same routine on several other girls and they were all amazed, though the table were about to turn on him. You see, the girls had got together and talked about the General and his ability to guess the color of their underwear. At that point one the girls, with whom the General had not yet danced, volunteered to pull a prank on Bradley. She went to the ladies room and removed her underwear, and promptly invited the General to the dance floor. As they danced she noticed the General began to perspire. She then mentioned about how the General was able to guess the color of panties the other girls were wearing. He blushed and perspired even more. She pressed the matter and asked Bradley if he could tell the color of her underwear, at which the General began sweating profusely and finally with a look of sadness on his face he said no. The girl laughed and said "I got you because I am not wearing any underwear". The General let out a sigh of relief followed by the biggest smile on his face, saying, "Oh thank God, I though I had a big tear in my brand new rubber boots".

:o:blush: I don't care if its true or not. That is a good story!! Although you should be ashamed of yourself!! :thumbsup:

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Love this topic...an Army runs on food..and boots. These are a joy to look at. I haven't ventured into original leather yet, but I do have a couple of pair of Shoe Pacs that I absolutely love.

• 1 month later...

Hey guys Im new to this site and collecting WWII memorabilia and was wondering what wax and color you use to shine your low cut boots. I made the mistake of using brown polish and had to strip mine.

Hey guys Im new to this site and collecting WWII memorabilia and was wondering what wax and color you use to shine your low cut boots. I made the mistake of using brown polish and had to strip mine.

Go to Search, type in: boot polish, then just go down the list of threads. I just did. You'll find what you need.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Here is a pic of a marine who appears to be on tarawa with the same pair of boondockers Sabrejet has. Also note the m1936 mussete bag which could be an army or marine contract,this is the 1st pic i have seen of marines actually using this.

post-41803-1315268423.jpg

• 3 months later...
Here is a pic of a marine who appears to be on tarawa with the same pair of boondockers Sabrejet has. Also note the m1936 mussete bag which could be an army or marine contract,this is the 1st pic i have seen of marines actually using this.

And it's been noted that at this late date of November 1943, his grenades are painted the pre war-early war Yellow.